Turntable Question - Pro-ject Debut Carbon Espirit SB and its place in the world
Jan 15, 2018 at 8:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ksweene5

100+ Head-Fier
Hi HF -

I could post this in a more turntable oriented forum, but I like the HF community more.

Where, in your estimation, does a ProJect Debut Carbon Esprit SB fall among turntables? Is it a stepping stone? Is the money better spent on a vintage table ?(everything else I use is vintage).

For those less familiar with Pro-Ject, this specific model has every upgrade available in the Debut line (carbon fiber arm, speed box like control, heavy acrylic platter).

I can get a new one for under $400, full warranty and all that. $400-500, maybe just more, has been the price range I've been eyeing for a TT upgrade.

Currently I run Technics sl23 (simple belt drive) with an at130 cart, and an sld2 direct drive with an at120. Amp is a pioneer sa1000 (predecessor to the 9500).

I almost always buy used, usually vintage, as I find it the best value and can do basic repairs.

So, what's the HF take on where that new Pro-Ject falls in the larger scheme of TT options. What other new, or more current, deck would be better? Would the same amount of money get me a good quality jump going vintage? What kind of upgrade ceiling am I looking at with the Pro-Ject?

Jan 18, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #2 of 6
That's the same model I'm looking at and drooling over! The only thing I've read is that people like to replace the Ortofon Red cartridge with the Blue one. I don't know, I'm still a vinyl noob...

Jan 20, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 6
I just got back into vinyls too. I just bought a used vinyl spinner with an Ortofon 2M Red already installed. I was also told that the 2M Blue is better than the Red. I might get an MC later on though.

Jan 20, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #4 of 6
Hi HF -

I could post this in a more turntable oriented forum, but I like the HF community more.

Where, in your estimation, does a ProJect Debut Carbon Esprit SB fall among turntables? Is it a stepping stone? Is the money better spent on a vintage table ?(everything else I use is vintage).

For those less familiar with Pro-Ject, this specific model has every upgrade available in the Debut line (carbon fiber arm, speed box like control, heavy acrylic platter).

I can get a new one for under $400, full warranty and all that. $400-500, maybe just more, has been the price range I've been eyeing for a TT upgrade.

Currently I run Technics sl23 (simple belt drive) with an at130 cart, and an sld2 direct drive with an at120. Amp is a pioneer sa1000 (predecessor to the 9500).

I almost always buy used, usually vintage, as I find it the best value and can do basic repairs.

So, what's the HF take on where that new Pro-Ject falls in the larger scheme of TT options. What other new, or more current, deck would be better? Would the same amount of money get me a good quality jump going vintage? What kind of upgrade ceiling am I looking at with the Pro-Ject?

There are not too many vinyl spinners here. I could be wrong though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back