TurboDock impact
Jan 26, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #122 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180

If someone is to buy a tweak, what you do not hear, the listener may hear.

See ya round.

SO true. A basic example came from a digital audio class I took. The instructor asked everyone in the class to raise a hand and did a simple frequency sweep over the monitors working upwards. When we couldn't hear the signal any more, we were asked to put our hand down. Needless to say, not everyone put their hand down at the same time. Again, a basic example that I think speaks to Myo's point. Ears, just as people, are different. That is why you have to agree to disagree...even if its "not your problem."

Listen long and prosper!
tongue.gif

Rob
580smile.gif

Jan 26, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #123 of 155
Quote:

however, if an actual listener or user praises a product, I only have a problem when a skeptic comes in a crusade to forcefeed his opinion as fact down the throats of unsuspecting individuals

It isn't forcefeeding an opinion as fact. It's the presenting of facts to support an opinion. And it provides context to the comments of listeners.

See ya
Steve

Jan 26, 2006 at 8:50 AM Post #125 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
It isn't forcefeeding an opinion as fact. It's the presenting of facts to support an opinion. And it provides context to the comments of listeners.

See ya
Steve

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."
-Albert Einstein

Jan 26, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #126 of 155
Quote:

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."
-Albert Einstein

That's an interesting hypothesis
tongue.gif
Sorry, couldn't pass up geek humor!
icon10.gif

Jan 26, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #127 of 155
Quote:

Id just like to think that studio work and the hobby of audiophiles are two different venues.

I agree...studio work is about actual, measurable, repeatable results; while audiophilia is about the highly subjective enjoyment of music/music reproduction. Nothing wrong with either one, but when it comes to setting up my own system, I find the studio guy's "these components have identical THD" a lot more useful than the audiophile's "this unit has more palpable air".

Quote:

Why not just let others enjoy their hobby?

The thing I don't like about the audiophile world is the mindless call to perpetually upgrade. Even happened in this thread...Bigshot makes a comment about how he's perfectly satisfied with the sound of his iPod, and he gets jumped on with a resounding chorus of how he needs to get a new CD player.

How is that "letting others enjoy their hobby"? Some guy comes along with the heretical notion that a $200 CD player can provide just as much musical enjoyment as a $4000 one and he's the one who's not "letting others enjoy their hobby"?

Now, I'm not down on anyone for buying a G08 or fancy cables or whatever if they can afford it...certainly there's plenty of wealthy guys on Head-Fi who can and that's fine. Unfortunately, I'm afraid there's also a lot of people who really can't afford it, but end up maxing out their credit cards or dumping their college/retirement funds just because the herd at Head-Fi posted about the "night & day" differences their latest upgrades provided.

Ahem.

In a feeble attempt to now get this thread back on topic, I'd like to add that I don't think Turbo is guilty of any of this. As has been pointed out already, The TurboDock II is small, portable, it locks, it's handmade in the USA, and your $$$ go to a Head-Fier who's pretty cool. It does everything I need it to do and nothing I don't. Sure, Turbo's made some claims that are impossible to substantiate, but his unit is priced lower than most of the competing units on the market, so in addition to the above benefits, he essentially throws in his invisible MFET technology for free. What's not to like?

Jan 26, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #128 of 155
When I made this topic, alllll I wanted to know was if the Turbodock (or any similar product) was a worthwhile upgrade...if it actually improved the sound.

That's it.
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Jan 26, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #130 of 155
Quote:

the audiophile hobby is about 1 million time more anal then studios. But thats what the home hobby is all about, squeezing the last bit of performance one's budget allows out of one's listening set up, a new tweak may or may n ot work, Im not one to tell someone that a certain tweak will or willnot work. but at the same time, this is what makes the hobby fun. Why not just let others enjoy their hobby?

That sounds more like OCD than a hobby to me!

See ya
Steve

Jan 26, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #132 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
The thing I don't like about the audiophile world is the mindless call to perpetually upgrade.

Dontcha love "advertorial"? There's an awful lot of selling disguised as information in audiophile publications. Why shouldn't it extend to the internet too? The only problem is that the internet allows for two way communication. Propaganda doesn't work so well when questions can be raised. We all know where that leads.

DISCLAIMER: This post is a comment in GENERAL on audiophile information. It is not directed at anyone in particular. If you choose to apply it to yourself, that's your choice.

See ya
Steve

Jan 26, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #133 of 155
The technical explanations remind me of those pertaining the bybee quantum purifier but I want to try out the TDII if it's as good as people report it to be, and it's fairly inexpensive, too. I've been itching to add an amp to the Ipod anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I really don't take offense at a builder saying anything about their product they like - heck they can say it has 3D wedges to create a live concert hall in my head, or that mahoghany improves the performance of a headphone amp, or electrons flow a certain direction in my cable to make it sound better plugged in one way or the other. All I know is that we're all still bottom line in that the SQ is the real deal, right? And the TDII delivers - it ain't no shakti stone, because it actually sounds better, no matter if the builder said he shook shakti stones over the dock to bless it and that improves performance (which he didn't say, so don't quote me ) if you believe what Turbo said is basically shakti stone-level, that's your right to think so, and your right to buy a TDII or not based on that comment or not. me? i'll buy it and enjoy it.

Thanks Jahn, it's really fortunate to have people like you around in threads like this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back