TurboDock impact
Jan 26, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #136 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
You can't power your ipod externally while using a turbodock.

frown.gif

Jan 26, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #137 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
Why not just let others enjoy their hobby?

Why indeed? Perhaps some people have a deep rooted psychological need to spoil other's fun, or to just be critical, perhaps to show how smart they are or to feel superior.

DISCLAIMER: This post is a comment in GENERAL on the various threads in which these types of arguments seem to arise. It is not directed at anyone in particular. If you choose to apply it to yourself, that's your choice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #138 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
In a feeble attempt to now get this thread back on topic, I'd like to add that I don't think Turbo is guilty of any of this. As has been pointed out already, The TurboDock II is small, portable, it locks, it's handmade in the USA, and your $$$ go to a Head-Fier who's pretty cool. It does everything I need it to do and nothing I don't. Sure, Turbo's made some claims that are impossible to substantiate, but his unit is priced lower than most of the competing units on the market, so in addition to the above benefits, he essentially throws in his invisible MFET technology for free. What's not to like?

The fact that he has to make the ridiculous technobabble claims at all. If anything the fact that the product can compete fine on its own merits only makes the technobabble _more_ egregious. Everyone agrees his dock does what it's supposed to, comes in a good form factor, and is competitively priced: why not just sell it on that basis? Why add yet more technobabble pollution to the festering swamp that is audio geekdom when you don't even _NEED_ to to get any sales?!

Jan 27, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #140 of 155
I must agree with AdamWill. I will be getting a 5G iPod sometime soon and from all accounts the TurboDock is smaller and cheaper than the PocketDock, which to my knowledge is the only competition (since the Sik has a cable on it). As such it is the superior choice. Yet I feel that there is a certain point when a strict price/performance ratio analysis comes 2nd to supporting a seller who, while lacking a presence on head-fi forums, nevertheless has visible (as opposed to invisible) technology.

Jan 27, 2006 at 9:16 AM Post #142 of 155
To be honest, the only reason I support a manufacturer is if they are honest and provide a superior product. I could care less how they choose to advertise.

See ya
Steve

Jan 27, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #143 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
To be honest, the only reason I support a manufacturer is if they are honest and provide a superior product. I could care less how they choose to advertise.

See ya
Steve

i go even further and support a manufacturer as long as they provide a superior product and their wares didn't fall out of the back of a white van. they can say what they want for all I care, really - who cares if Dr. Bobo starts selling his own cans, claiming the ghost of einstein gave him the design and his spirit drives the magnets with spiritual powers? It can be honest delusion or dishonest snake oiling (or the TRUTH dun dun DUN!)- I don't have to believe it, I just have to buy em and enjoy em if it sounds great hehe.

Jan 27, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #144 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medikit
frown.gif

Don't be sad, plenty of folks actually don't like anything but the line out at the dock. back when the sik was big, plenty of people even cut off the firewire dongle lol! Cutting it off didn't do anything for the SQ - it was just annoying having it hang around when you never used it. Personally, the only time I charge something on the go at the same time I'm listening to it is when I'm in the car, but then I use the usb charger with my FM transmitter for the ipod at that point.

Jan 27, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #145 of 155
I am one such exemplar of someone who has cut off the firewire charger of his sik ram (and formerly my sik din). I am now going to try the TBII and a diamond cable mini-to-mini in a quest for improved SQ. I am looking forward to it!

- walk

Jan 27, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #146 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i go even further and support a manufacturer as long as they provide a superior product and their wares didn't fall out of the back of a white van. they can say what they want for all I care, really - who cares if Dr. Bobo starts selling his own cans, claiming the ghost of einstein gave him the design and his spirit drives the magnets with spiritual powers? It can be honest delusion or dishonest snake oiling (or the TRUTH dun dun DUN!)- I don't have to believe it, I just have to buy em and enjoy em if it sounds great hehe.

For me, when they start disrespecting me by trying to foist bull dump on me, I'm outta there. If they have to resort to tricks to sell their product, there must be something wrong with it. I prefer to deal with HONEST and KNOWLEDGEABLE people. You can have the sheisters and snake oil salesmen.

To be perfectly honest, whenever a salesman tries to pull the wool over my eyes, I make a point of letting him know that I know what he's doing. That usually sends them running.

See ya
Steve

Jan 27, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #147 of 155
Quote:

For me, when they start disrespecting me by trying to foist bull dump on me, I'm outta there.

Yep, we just have different tolerance levels that's all. I'm certain there are even some head-fiers here who wouldn't mind getting a superior product even if it DID fall out of a white van (clones of you-know-what still in production comes to mind) and that's where I would put my foot down. Your foot is just on a different Twister spot, that's all, nothing wrong with that.
icon10.gif

Jan 27, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #148 of 155
Quote:

See ya
Steve

Hey Steve,
Thats respectable,
But all it takes is like $20 bucks to open a short mall fi as and sell legitimately on head fi, it's not going to break your wallet. Not only does it make it honest, it also helps support the forum that is actually helping the seller make money. I believe it is indeed a way to show some appreciation to give back just a little bit. To sell massively underground and reaping so much profit is somewhat dishonest IMO. There is a reason why it has to be all underground correct?

Jan 28, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #150 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
Hey Steve,
Thats respectable,
But all it takes is like $20 bucks to open a short mall fi as and sell legitimately on head fi, it's not going to break your wallet. Not only does it make it honest, it also helps support the forum that is actually helping the seller make money. I believe it is indeed a way to show some appreciation to give back just a little bit.

I suppose so... If the seller doesn't contribute in other ways, like posting useful information. I happen to think that the people who post in internet forums deserve thanks from the folks who own them for providing free content. I'm not big on "donating" to a business model designed to sell advertising space based on my contributed content. They're already getting a donation in the postings. That's just my opinion... However, if it's just a hit and run sort of advertisement, you are absolutely correct that they should go ahead and pay the fees.

Three dimensional, invisible, sound molecules... I'm gonna have to get me one o'these!

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back