Tube warmth and distortion and it's pros
Apr 16, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #76 of 194
  Its not degrading when its welcomed and tuned with other parts within the system. Cables, dacs, you name it. A car doesnt run with just putting gas in it. 

I really have no idea what you're talking about. Are you suggesting that every part of the system should have its own coloration? It would be impossible to find a piece of equipment with the specific EQ corrections I need in my screening/listening room. The only place a component colored like that would sound good is in my particular room with its particular acoustics.

Digital equalizers don't degrade sound, they correct it.

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #77 of 194
am i to expect my tinydv336se, or any of my other hard ss-es to replicate the mixes coming out of those monstrosities ...
after seeing those fotos, i just concentrate on enjoying whatever distortion i could squeeze out of my aluminiumboxes lolz.

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #78 of 194
  I used to have a pair of ESL quad 57... best Electro out.

Your speakers can be flat as a ruler, but you might still need EQ. Equalization corrects for room acoustics too. Room treatments help, but you're probably always going to need a little fine tuning with EQ.

Also, equalization can help less expensive speakers sound pretty much the same as the flattest audiophile speaker made. As long as a speaker can produce 20Hz-20kHz loud without clipping or audible distortion, you can EQ it to sound any way you want.

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #79 of 194
  I can assure you what I'm exposed to on a daily basis working at a audiophile shop in one of the most wealthy parts of the US allows me access to the best money can afford... Seen it heard it. Plus I get to travel with my company to all the big shows... Seen it heard it. 

I've heard what it sounds like in the recording studio where it was tracked and mixed. Studios with fantastic equipment. They all have equalizers on every channel in the board, and they all work with studio monitors calibrated to ruler flat response using equalizers.

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #80 of 194
Apr 16, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #82 of 194
They're not degrading the sound.

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #83 of 194
  They're not degrading the sound.

Certainly not in the use of a recording studio and its purpose. Music wouldn't sound as good on my stereo as it does without some of the significant advancements in recording technology that have happened. You are without a doubt a knowledgeable man. I'm looking forward to our talks. You are pretty spot on with a lot of what you are saying but then again the purist in me has never needed such things in the systems that I put together. 

Respect Sir

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #84 of 194
Until you've heard what a carefully balanced response sounds like, you can't know how important it is to sound reproduction. Balanced response is natural sound. The only way to achieve balanced sound is room treatment and equalization. Generally, you do as much of the former as the wife will allow, and then you make up the balance with EQ.

If you can achieve accurate presentation... flat full range response, inaudible levels of distortion, natural dynamics, etc... you are rewarded with wonderfully realistic sound. The nice thing is that solid state components make that a breeze. No need to spend a lot of money to get top quality sound. Speakers/Headphones are the only area where the equipment really matters, but EQ can help that.

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #86 of 194
  Until you've heard what a carefully balanced response sounds like, you can't know how important it is to sound reproduction. Balanced response is natural sound. The only way to achieve balanced sound is room treatment and equalization. Generally, you do as much of the former as the wife will allow, and then you make up the balance with EQ.

What can I say, I'm messy and distorted  just like my tubes. I did use an Accuphase digi EQ at a customers house. Twas nice but so is Accuphase. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #88 of 194
  Those are very sweet recording studios. Where did come across those? Guessing west coast?

No idea. Those pictures are just from some quick googling
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #89 of 194
The one with the piano is a doggone big booth. That is a high end studio indeed. Mixing stages are cool too.

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #90 of 194
Some of the studios I've recorded in, listened to final mixes in, and wasn't nearly as impressed by compared to hi-end setups:

http://twinstud.cluster002.ovh.net/

http://www.contrepoint-records.com/

http://www.studioslafabrique.com/Home.html

http://www.questiondeson.com/

Click the links for pictures, artists lists, etc. They're all internationally renowned studios. Websites should be in English.

And those are just some of the ones in France I've had plenty of time in. You can check out air studios or Metropolis for London-based ones I've been to, I can give you some more in NL and Germany if you'd like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back