Tube warmth and distortion and it's pros
Apr 16, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #31 of 194
yur post just reminded me to warm up my tubeamps...after an hour or two on the audiogd :p
how forgetful of me... sweet misery. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #33 of 194
I find when I keep my tubes in my underpants, they sound warmer and fuller. Plump sounding in fact!

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #36 of 194
I would have to agree that tubes typically sounds smooth, and sounds more musical or natural to my ears.  I keep hearing the SS amps specs a better, low distortion, and therefore it should sound better.  

It just confuses me.  I probably prefer tube sound as long as the all the details are there, which I don't doubt as long as I have the right headphones.

It's always distortion, coloring, tube warmth, and etc.. People pick up tube amps because they like the sound, and lots of peope do hear a difference in tube and SS.  

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #37 of 194
I want music that sounds like the music, not the amp.

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #38 of 194
Apr 16, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #39 of 194
Then go to concerts and don't waste your time with gear, because whatever you own is what your music will sound like either way.

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #40 of 194
Live music is great... Accurately presented recorded music is second best... distorted, imbalanced and artifact full music is infuriating.

Most people don't really know how good accurate sounds because they're too busy pushing their system towards inaccurate to try to make it sound more real. (irony)

Apr 16, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #43 of 194
Live music is great... Accurately presented recorded music is second best... distorted, imbalanced and artifact full music is infuriating.

Most people don't really know how good accurate sounds because they're too busy pushing their system towards inaccurate to try to make it sound more real. (irony)

And that's where our opinions differ. Live music is far from great (strictly in terms of sound quality), most of the time studio albums are much better, and this is valid for a vast majority of music (especially non-acoustic).

As for accurate sound I'm still waiting for your EQ thread. So far, all you've said on the subject only tells me that you're a purist, and I like music. To each their own.

Apr 16, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #44 of 194
I have several friends who are professional musicians. When they come to visit me and grab a guitar off the wall and start playing and singing, it is THE BEST... natural, present, realistic, balanced, everything. The goal of my system is to make my recorded music sound like that- as if the performer is right there in the room with me. When I put on a CD of Art Pepper or Paul Desmond, I have a very good idea of what they would have sounded like live. I can close my eyes and that is how it sounds.

Maybe if the music you listen to is poorly recorded or sounds unnatural no matter how you present it, then slathering it with the audio equivalent of maple syrup might help. But there are so many different ways a recording can sound bad, I find it hard to believe that there is a "one size fits all" solution to lacquering over the flaws.

But even if I did listen to a lot of poorly recorded music, I'd still want to start from the sweet spot of balanced. Then I would add an EQ correction of DSP that addresses the specific problems in the track. I wouldn't start out with the corrections built into the whole system. I'd start from clean and correct from there.

Apr 16, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #45 of 194
Well I don't have the money or the resurrection powers to bring my favorite artists to my living room for a live concert in a quiet setting, unfortunately. That said, when I put a CD of Art Pepper on, it sounds extremely good. I can close my eyes and it's how it sounds too.

I think it would be interesting to get you into a DBT of solid state vs tube amps just to see which you would pick as "better" and more "natural"... We'd be in for a few surprises I think 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back