Tube rolling the LITTLE DOT I+ for use with the Grado SR225 headphone
Mar 22, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #31 of 47
<Digging up an old thread>

I'm about to embark down this road (LD I+ and 225i's).

Does anyone have new recommendations for this combo? I'm a noob with tube amps.

Thanks, Mark

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #32 of 47
Ok, So I'm a COMPLETE Tube NOOB, but spend too much time on this D@mn forum. I see all these amazing setups and the really impressive ones seem to have tube amps. Fast forward... I see lots of talk about how well the Little Dot I+ works with Grado's. Being a long time Grado user, I jump right in.

Now I'm sitting here reading over the sticky for tube noobs, and I'm scared to death! There is ALLOT to those things!

Was I was completely ignorant thinking I would order this amp, buy some tubes and see which one I like the best... Now I'm hit with a million differences between them.

Should I just stick with solid state? or will I be happy with a plain old LD I+ with the provided 408a tubes installed?

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #33 of 47
Hi guys!! did anybody tried the litlle DOT I+ with Grado RS-1's? That's what I have right now. also the opamp swap is it socketed or need to solder the 8 leg spider thingie??
Antbody tried LT 1358 adn LT 1355 I just wondered case thsi si what I have on hand . . . that's all . . or any of the AD line Opamps does a Burson or an AudioGd fit in there?

Thanks for all the help, as I am very new here, not new to audio.

Gonzalo

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #34 of 47
By teh way I just ordered my lil'thing form ebay 15 minutes ago . .. so maybe next week I'll find out what the fuzz is about and get to work in it and tube rolling . . . . yeah baby!!!

Thanks;

G

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #35 of 47
The op amp is in a socket so you can roll quite a few op-amps. I am currently using the OPA2107AP op amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzalomaso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys!! did anybody tried the litlle DOT I+ with Grado RS-1's? That's what I have right now. also the opamp swap is it socketed or need to solder the 8 leg spider thingie??
Antbody tried LT 1358 adn LT 1355 I just wondered case thsi si what I have on hand . . . that's all . . or any of the AD line Opamps does a Burson or an AudioGd fit in there?

Thanks for all the help, as I am very new here, not new to audio.

Gonzalo

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by theryaner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm only able to find sylvania gold brand 407a's... How do those compare to the 408a's?

They don't. The 407a is a 9 pin and the 408a is a 7 pin tube. Even if they were similiar electrically , they won't fit in the LD 1+

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #38 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They don't. The 407a is a 9 pin and the 408a is a 7 pin tube. Even if they were similiar electrically , they won't fit in the LD 1+

AH!! didn't see it, thanks. lol

Jul 25, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #40 of 47
I've been perusing threads about tube rolling with the SR225's for a long while now. I've now decided that I'll go with a Little Dot I+ amp and either Sylvania GB 408a's or Mullard 6AK5 (the ones mentioned in this post) The problem is I can't seem to find these tubes anywhere. Could someone help a brotha out? Ebay would be best because the shipping won't be too expensive for shipping to Israel.

May 26, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #41 of 47
The synergy between the solid state part (mostly the opamp) and the tube will make a difference. I report that the gentle MUSES02 incorporated in my Little Dot 1+ synerges the Jan 5654W and makes it perfect for most Grados I have, and will even drive my HD800 very very well.

May 27, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #43 of 47
I have the GE JAN 5654W and it's one of my favorite tubes with my little dot. But I slightly favor the Mullard/RTC 5654 for it's slightly warmer and more full bodied sound. For op amps I'm comparing what should be the best available, the Burson V5 and the Sparko Labs. I'm letting the Burson burn in but I'm actually preferring the Sparko so far for it's more open and dynamic sound. The Burson sounds a bit darker and thick. Still very good though. But the Burson is a serious pain to shoehorn in the Little Dot 1+ without mods.

Jul 7, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #44 of 47
Hey! Just purchased a pair of sylvania gold 408a's for my Little Dot 1+, but they are extremely quiet (and volume of two channels are imbalanced) after 40+ minutes warm up and have huge hiss sounding at normal listenable volume. Also does not glow light in the tubes after 40+ minutes.

Wish to know are my tubes defected?

Thanks!
Harvey

Users who are viewing this thread

Back