Tube rolling the LITTLE DOT I+ for use with the Grado SR225 headphone
Mar 11, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #16 of 47
Ok man, thanks for your impressions so far, and congratulations for your daughter. Will be waiting for your reviews to come.

Mar 15, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #17 of 47
Can any one point me to where to buy the Amperex and Sylvania tubes described??

I just bought a Little Dot I+ for some grados I bought and I cant find those two tubes anywhere!!!!

Also Whats the consesus of the Mullard 8100??

Thanks

Mar 21, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #18 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by hottyson
---SNIP---
Now you have got me curious about the Beyerdynamic DT-770 (80ohms) headphone. I too have a new DAC. (Valab makes my face look like this
biggrin.gif
) The low impedance Beyerdynamic DT-770 (80ohms) are probably a completely different animal than the antique 600ohm version I once owned. Maybe I will have to give this combo a shot since I love a good closed headphone. My poor wallet!

I just received my Beyerdynamic DT-770PRO (80-ohm) in the mail. I immediately plugged it in to my amp. It sounds okay with the Little Dot I+ with GB-408A, however it has the same annoyance that my old Beyerdynamic DT-770 (600-ohm) had. It has WAAAAAAYYYYY TOO MUCH BASS! I liked the sound for about a minute and then I found myself turning the volume down lower and lower to lessen the pain to my ears and head. For low volume listening the sound is not all that bad. I will have to roll some tubes in the distant future to find the best combination. But that shall be another thread and another day.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #19 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by hottyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WAAAAAAYYYYY TOO MUCH BASS! I will have to roll some tubes in the distant future to find the best combination.

Try the EF92/6CQ6 family of tubes.
I tried the Mullard M8161 with big logo before i put in the Sylvania 408a Gold.
The M8161 had considerably less bass but was overall more "light" and "clean".
And what opamp do you have in your amp?

May 12, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #21 of 47
Well, just received a pair of CV4010 (or Mullard M8100) from an ebay seller. Great shipment & service I have to add. However I would like to know what is the difference between different brands and names (as you have put in this review -hottyson-) As for example between EF95 or 6AK5. When do you know which is which... I think I have a mess in my mind... :p

It is still to early to tell if there are some differences between 6J1 tubes and this CV41010. Just to state there is a difference between build quality.

May 13, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #22 of 47
Try an LM4562 op amp .Amazing detail even with the 6J1,s,but have cv41010,s on their way,just to try.But didnt seem to go too well with WE408A,s,still i did buy cheap ones.
Cheers,i,ll get me coat now!

May 13, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #23 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallace /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try an LM4562 op amp .Amazing detail even with the 6J1,s,but have cv41010,s on their way,just to try.But didnt seem to go too well with WE408A,s,still i did buy cheap ones.
Cheers,i,ll get me coat now!

Welcome to head-Fi

Who is the seller you bought the CV4010 from? (just to know) (I also bought my CV4010 cheap ^^)

About the LM4562 where did you buy it from (I am a bit skeptical about SQ changes using a different chip, but if it is chip I can give it a try)

May 14, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #24 of 47
Hi .,I got the LM4562 from Farnell.co.uk £4.75 took 10 mins to change.
There is an informative post on Little-Tube about op amp
rolling for LD1+.That is where i got the idea and it certainly sounds better,
(the drummer is now playing a real drum kit,with cymbals)
I bought the CV4010,s from Nezretroussez on ebay,not yet got them ,but i only bought them 2 days ago,i doubt if they will make as much difference as the op amp though.Cheers.

May 14, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #25 of 47
Yeah, got them from same seller. I need to make some listening, but it is hard with so little time I have...

May 14, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #26 of 47
I'm new to head-fi, but I thought I'd put in my 2c. I have an LDI+, and just got a new LM4562 and LT1364 from digikey. It was under $15 for both shipped, and it arrived at my door in 3 days. Highly recommended. I haven't had the chance to listen to the new opamps yet. Has anyone tried the EF95 Sylvania Blue Glass tubes? Any impressions? Thanks.

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #27 of 47
My first child Elenarose, a baby girl was born just two weeks ago on May 19, 2009.
beerchug.gif
She is so precious!

My closed headphones are getting good use now that the baby is here.

For the present, I will likely check in briefly only about once a week on head-fi since I am dedicating most of my time to my family and I was not able to get the long paternity leave that I had requested.

[size=medium]I deeply apologize that I never completed my tube rolling impressions on Grado SR225 with the Little Dot I+ but my schedule won't allow for it for the time being. I will eventually get back to tube rolling and impressions when I can.[/size]

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #28 of 47
Hey Hottyson, don't need to apologize, it is all good. Family's first, and congrats again for your first child!

When your tube rolling continues I will come to read it, no need to worry!

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #29 of 47
Hi Bullseye,You should try an opa2107ap when you have time .My lm4562 developed a hissy crackle on the right channel ,so i swapped.Sounds good with the cv4010,s a bit more bass i fancy,of course it could be my new SR325is.
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #30 of 47
^Yeah, was looking at op-amps. Already tried new tubes without a drastic change (maybe a little one, but need to try and do some comparisons), but I have to check for prices. Don't want to spend a lot on shippment just to get a pair of op-amps...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back