Tube rolling recommendation for EF1?
Sep 22, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #226 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That photo is a grey plate for sure.

mine is even grayer.
bigsmile_face.gif

well...what can you do. at least it sound nice, very much like the cleartop.
huge soundstage with nice airy top and nice bottom too. the mids are very creamy, OH how I love the rca's.

Oct 2, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #227 of 317
hello i need some assistance.

I have a head-direct EF1 and i found some tubes locally. i am uncertain if they will work on my ef1 and here i am asking you guys for help

mail

do any of those even work with the ef1?

thanks

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #228 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by niCe99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hello i need some assistance.

I have a head-direct EF1 and i found some tubes locally. i am uncertain if they will work on my ef1 and here i am asking you guys for help

mail

do any of those even work with the ef1?

thanks

Can't see the picture, you can't link images directly from gmail. Try Imgur

Oct 3, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #230 of 317
I don't think any of those will work. You need a 12AU7 compatible tube, so if you check eBay and search for 12AU7, the listings will usually also include other tube numbers that are equivalents (as keywords for people searching).

Oct 3, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #231 of 317
Hi guys...I thought of start rolling some opamps but have a few question:

1. which opamp will give me a super warm and creamy sound on the EF1 (with the help of some warm sounding tubes ofcourse..)?

2.where can I get it?

3.how do i install it? I am not so good on the technical side of things..so I will need your help with this one.

I found the tubes rolling very nice..but the EF1 still don't sound warm and lush enough for my tastes,even with a very warm tubes like the mullard short plate. I thought th at maybe a combination of tube AND a warm OPAMP will give me better results...can I do that?

Oct 3, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #232 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think any of those will work. You need a 12AU7 compatible tube, so if you check eBay and search for 12AU7, the listings will usually also include other tube numbers that are equivalents (as keywords for people searching).

Right - absolutely NONE of the tubes in that picture will work, and in fact, the user of several of them would probably damage the amp severely if you tried it.

Here is a site you can use to look up tube equivalents:

Nostalgia Air Tube Substitution & Characteristics Guide

Equivalents of the 12AU7 are 7730, 7489, 7316, 6680, 6189, 6067, 5963, 5814WA, 5814A, 5814, 12AU7WA, 12AU7W, 12AU7A. That's it, folks. Other tubes won't work.

Oct 4, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #234 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys...I thought of start rolling some opamps but have a few question:

1. which opamp will give me a super warm and creamy sound on the EF1 (with the help of some warm sounding tubes ofcourse..)?

2.where can I get it?

3.how do i install it? I am not so good on the technical side of things..so I will need your help with this one.

I found the tubes rolling very nice..but the EF1 still don't sound warm and lush enough for my tastes,even with a very warm tubes like the mullard short plate. I thought th at maybe a combination of tube AND a warm OPAMP will give me better results...can I do that?

If you're okay with taking the plexiglass off:

1. Audio-GD OPA-MOON + Mullard long plate
2. н¨ÍøÒ³ 1
3. You get an appropriately-sized allen wrench to remove the screws holding the plexiglass, order two DIP sockets from 8-pin DIP IC Socket or use an extension lead from Audio-GD, connect in the correct direction to the OPAMP socket, and connect the ground wire lead to where one of the plexiglass screws was.

Oct 18, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #235 of 317
Very informative thread, all. I have an EF-1 and K702s and am looking to upgrade the EF-1's stock Sylvania tube. My budget is about $150. Definitely prefer a warmer, smooth sound, as much as possible with a hybrid amp, of course.

I just stumbled upon this tube: Valvo Holland E80CC

Seems a little strange. Any opinions?

Thanks!

Oct 18, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #236 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by ParadigmPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very informative thread, all. I have an EF-1 and K702s and am looking to upgrade the EF-1's stock Sylvania tube. My budget is about $150. Definitely prefer a warmer, smooth sound, as much as possible with a hybrid amp, of course.

I just stumbled upon this tube: Valvo Holland E80CC

Seems a little strange. Any opinions?

Thanks!

I found the Mullard Long Plate 12AU7 to be a good tube for EF1 with the qualities you are looking for.

Oct 19, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #237 of 317
Hello

I just purchased a Mullard CV4003 and i wanted to comment on it

when compared to the stock tubes, which in my opinion is very laid back, these tubes definitely bring out the mid-range. It has a more 'in your face' type of sound to it. I feel the highs are still lacking a bit but there are definitely present. Bass increased a lot.

Great tubes!

Oct 19, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #239 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by somestranger26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're okay with taking the plexiglass off:

1. Audio-GD OPA-MOON + Mullard long plate
2. н¨ÍøÒ³ 1
3. You get an appropriately-sized allen wrench to remove the screws holding the plexiglass, order two DIP sockets from 8-pin DIP IC Socket or use an extension lead from Audio-GD, connect in the correct direction to the OPAMP socket, and connect the ground wire lead to where one of the plexiglass screws was.

Can you close it up with a HDAM inside (on an extension cable)?

Oct 21, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #240 of 317
well..in desperation for more bass impact and some tube lushness, I have returned to my EF1 in the last two days (giving my headroom gear a break). the tung sol black glass was used, and the sound is noticeably more warm and lush with the EF1 comparing to the ultra micro.

the tung sol BG is definitely my favourite 12AU7 with the EF1 so far, it has it all: great bass,nice airy top end, and the mids are also very good although i am sure that there are lusher mids around. ah...and the soundstage is incredible also.

this is just a temporary medicine, until I get my earmax pro. than I will hopefully get the REAL tube sound for the first time in my audiophile hobby.
regular_smile .gif

the EF1 was a great introduction to tubes and a great amp by itself , and now instead of just one tube,I will have 3!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back