Tube rolling recommendation for EF1?
Sep 6, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #211 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by niCe99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would those be significantly better than the stock EF1? or only a marginal difference?

In other words, is it worth the upgrade from the stock tubes of the EF1?

the EF1 comes with the rca cleartop tube which is an excelent tube on its own. but changing tubes is all about experiencing, tasting different flavours and finding the right sound for you.
the mullard you linked is probably much warmer than the rca. the mullards are warm and lush sounding tubes in general...the rca is more to the detailed and treble extention, more to the bright side, but in a good way. it also has great mids and soundstage IMO. this tube got his fans around here.
one of the best I heard so far.

Sep 6, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #212 of 317
beautiful. thankyou for the explanation. man is this an expensive hobby
angry_face.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #213 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by niCe99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beautiful. thankyou for the explanation. man is this an expensive hobby
angry_face.gif
biggrin.gif

you didn't even get started mate!
beerchug.gif
biggrin.gif

but the positive thing is that the sound get also much much better.
the passion of finding the best sound is what driving all of us. the EF1 is a very nice amp and was a great introducing to tuberolling for me. maybe I will consider better tube amp in the future, the sound of tubes is just awsome!

Sep 6, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #214 of 317
I saw an Amperex 7316 (direct substitute for the EF-1's 12AU7) on the for sale forum for only $15, someone might be interested in that since the price is amazingly low given its rarity. [Already sold]

Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the EF1 comes with the rca cleartop tube which is an excelent tube on its own.

It comes with a NOS CONN-branded Sylvania.

Sep 6, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #215 of 317
Sep 7, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #217 of 317
The 7316 is equivalent to the 12AU7.

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #218 of 317
My EF1 is now relegated to being my low impedence headphone amp/backup amp, and is now solely used for my SRH840 as of now (they still amp K701 and HD650 well enough I feel, but just not powerful as my C200, and AD700 I only use for gaming)... and I gotta say that I've fallen in love with the Pico+EF1+Mullard Long Plate+SRH840 combo for my late night listens. The Long Plates adds the smoothness and liquidness in the SRH840 which transform their mids into the SE530-like mids, which I love. It also adds good smooth weight to the bottom end as well overall a great match with the 840's. Definitely a tube for mid-lovers.

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #219 of 317
i picked up two vintage tung sol black glass tubes on ebay as a set. i've been very very impressed...this is by far my favorite tube so far compared to the mullard short plate, rca cleartop, or sylvania. i feel like it combines the strengths of all of the tubes i've tried with none of the downsides.

anyway, since i've got two, anyone wanna trade their mullard long plate for one of my tung sol black glass? i've always wanted to try one of these.

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #220 of 317
just got the RCA blackplate that I ordered...and guess what, the plate inside the tube is grey and not black. can someone please advise on that? is it possible that it just called "blackplate"?
anyway...I checked some pictures on ebay and they all have black plates, except the picture from tube depot where the plate is also look greyish.

it was bought from brent jessy and I think that maybe he shipped eccidently the wrong rca.
anyway...I sent him an email and waiting for his reply.

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #221 of 317
Black plates are black (and usually shiny). Grey plates are grey and almost always flat (not shiny).

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #222 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Black plates are black (and usually shiny). Grey plates are grey and almost always flat (not shiny).

thanks...so I guess mine is not a blackplate rca, just an ordinary one.
man..I really waited for this one.
frown.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #223 of 317
Can you post a picture?

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #224 of 317
I don't have a camera...but I took down a picture from google and it is pretty much the same.

it is like a cleartop only with the getter on top. from other picture of the rca blackplate I saw on the net, the plate is black like the night.

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #225 of 317
That photo is a grey plate for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back