Tube rolling recommendation for EF1?
Nov 12, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #256 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by nttg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EF1 arrived today and my impression is alright, it doesn't have enough juice for k272 to keep the heavy bass.

That's kinda weird since the EF1 has enough juice to power my difficult to drive SFI orthos, and give a difficult to drive HE-5 fantastic pounding bass. With every phone I tried with the EF1 I would never say it didn't have enough juice (has much more than EF2 which can still drive an HD800 better than a portable amp).

Nov 12, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #258 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's kinda weird since the EF1 has enough juice to power my difficult to drive SFI orthos, and give a difficult to drive HE-5 fantastic pounding bass. With every phone I tried with the EF1 I would never say it didn't have enough juice (has much more than EF2 which can still drive an HD800 better than a portable amp).

It is the first time I bought a dedicated amp (had portables, like fiio E5) so I really didn't know what to expert. I hear a crackling(sounds like lumping plastic) when there's too heavy bass. The highs are easy do drive though.

Maybe the k272's drivers can't handle such punchy bass?

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #259 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by nttg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is the first time I bought a dedicated amp (had portables, like fiio E5) so I really didn't know what to expert. I hear a crackling(sounds like lumping plastic) when there's too heavy bass. The highs are easy do drive though.

Maybe the k272's drivers can't handle such punchy bass?

That might be it. Never tried a K272, but my K240M didn't do that with the EF1.

Nov 13, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #260 of 317
yeah, EF5 is suposed to be a big jump up in current output too.

Quote:

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #261 of 317
Quote:

That might be it. Never tried a K272, but my K240M didn't do that with the EF1.

This occurred also with my IEM Koss spark pro, same crackling sound. It can't be clipping? It sounds like the plastic layer over the driver is trying to punch out itself.

The plastic layer looks like this if my explanation is vague: File:Headphone-transducer.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #262 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyeatcereal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ahh yes, the dreaded wait time. good luck then i look forward to your impressions. so far I've just got that RCA cleartop to Mullard CV4003 comparison coming up, but I'll post what i think when it arrives next week.

The Mullard arrived today. Just having a play with that, the Brimar and the Arcturus.

I think at £2.99, the Mullard could possibly be the best bargain I've ever found. Music has presence and depth, good transparency. Brimar is the smoothest to my ears of the three, with the Arcturus somewhere between the two.

I like them all, but I'm going to leave the Mullard in for a while longer...
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Liking the Mullard a lot!

Nov 14, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #263 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl H /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Edit: Liking the Mullard a lot!

my Mullard CV4003 also arrived today, and I must say my initial impressions are mixed. i rolled my RCA cleartop and the new Mullard three times just to be sure i wasn't hearing things.

so far, albeit without extensive burn-in, the Mullard is quite thick, and on certain tracks almost too much so. The Mullard really does sound nice and rich on tracks that are not too musically dense or that feature vocals (especially female vocals), but when the instruments start to add up, especially on certain classical tracks and electronic tracks, the separation can start to get muddy and the music just sounds too thick and heavy.

i'll post again later after i get a few more dozen hours on it and hopefully the Mullard will tighten up a bit and let a bit more detail get through

Nov 14, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #264 of 317
Maybe try and get hold of an ECC82? Apparently there's GE branded valves out there made by Mullard in the 60's, supposed to be equivalents commanding less money than the Mullard branded ones. Found one on eBid last night and snapped it up, hopefully it'll be the same.

I'm loving this tube!

Nov 18, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #266 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharinglungs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just found this awesome deal for an equally awesome tube, a NOS Tung Sol Black Glass here. Enjoy
atsmile.gif

Handy, I'm in the UK - have bagged one to try.

Received a Phillips Miniwatt today, will be testing later...

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #267 of 317
Quote:

Maybe try and get hold of an ECC82? Apparently there's GE branded valves out there made by Mullard in the 60's, supposed to be equivalents commanding less money than the Mullard branded ones. Found one on eBid last night and snapped it up, hopefully it'll be the same.

Definitely Mullard, has the Blackburn factory code. Sweet!
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #268 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharinglungs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just found this awesome deal for an equally awesome tube, a NOS Tung Sol Black Glass here. Enjoy
atsmile.gif

Arrived today - you were right, good tube, similar to the Mullard in some respects. I'm liking it with the D2000 cans. Cheers for the link.
happy_face1.gif

Edit: I've had to order another one, just as a backup - it's that good!

Nov 20, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #269 of 317
Quote:

Arrived today - you were right, good tube, similar to the Mullard in some respects. I'm liking it with the D2000 cans. Cheers for the link.
happy_face1.gif

Edit: I've had to order another one, just as a backup - it's that good!

If I have two Mullard 12AU7 (short and long plate) and a Siemens ECC82, would there be a point in getting the TS black glass when I don't have an EF1/EF5 of my own right now? One of those, "good to have for later" things?

Nov 20, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #270 of 317
Quote:

If I have two Mullard 12AU7 (short and long plate) and a Siemens ECC82, would there be a point in getting the TS black glass when I don't have an EF1/EF5 of my own right now? One of those, "good to have for later" things?

Of course, if anything you could always resell them and get your money back. But if you're going to use the link provided, make sure to leave some for the rest of us.
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back