Tube rolling recommendation for EF1?
Nov 20, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #271 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharinglungs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just found this awesome deal for an equally awesome tube, a NOS Tung Sol Black Glass here. Enjoy
atsmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I have two Mullard 12AU7 (short and long plate) and a Siemens ECC82, would there be a point in getting the TS black glass when I don't have an EF1/EF5 of my own right now? One of those, "good to have for later" things?

What have I collected for this amp so far...
  1. 12au7a that shipped with the unit
  2. 2 x RCA clear top 12au7a
  3. Arcturus 5963
  4. Sylvania 12au7
  5. Brimar cv4003
  6. GE 12au7a (Mullard)
  7. Mullard short plate ecc82
  8. Philips Miniwatt ecc82
  9. Tung-Sol black glass (with another on the way)

Won't lose anything on them, and it's fun to roll. Go for it.
beerchug.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #272 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I have two Mullard 12AU7 (short and long plate) and a Siemens ECC82, would there be a point in getting the TS black glass when I don't have an EF1/EF5 of my own right now? One of those, "good to have for later" things?

I bought 2 of them today, just so I have backups for the one I am using in my phono preamp - it's my favorite 12AU7 in that application. That's a great price on what is often a hard to find tube.

Nov 20, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #273 of 317
I have ecc82 telefunken, it become my favourite. But right now i am trying mullard , it is more to the bright side. But it still great

Nov 21, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #274 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl H /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What have I collected for this amp so far...
  1. 12au7a that shipped with the unit
  2. 2 x RCA clear top 12au7a
  3. Arcturus 5963
  4. Sylvania 12au7
  5. Brimar cv4003
  6. GE 12au7a (Mullard)
  7. Mullard short plate ecc82
  8. Philips Miniwatt ecc82
  9. Tung-Sol black glass (with another on the way)

Won't lose anything on them, and it's fun to roll. Go for it.
beerchug.gif

Which one of those tubes is your favorite?

Nov 21, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #275 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought 2 of them today, just so I have backups for the one I am using in my phono preamp - it's my favorite 12AU7 in that application. That's a great price on what is often a hard to find tube.

I'd be happier if my ZDT could use the 12AU7 also, but it needs 12AX7 and can use 5751 or 12BZ7, but it wont bias right with 12AU7 (per Craig Uthus at EC). And, I already have a quad of cryo new issue Mullard 12AX7, a quad of Telefunken smooth plate 12AX7, 2 GE 5751, 2 tung sol 5751, and one sylvania gold pin 5751 that I can use in the ZDT. I have so many other places that I need to send money that I'll pass on the Tung Sol black glass 12au7 for now.

Nov 21, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #276 of 317
I hear yah - I am slowly pulling out of my insane tube-buying phase
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #277 of 317
Quote:

Just found this awesome deal for an equally awesome tube, a NOS Tung Sol Black Glass here. Enjoy
atsmile.gif

hello everyone.

is this any good for the price? i was under the impressions these tubes were 80+ a tube

thanks

Nov 23, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #278 of 317
Quote:

Which one of those tubes is your favorite?

Tough one to answer. I need to spend more time rolling with the D2000, but the Tung-Sol hasn't come out of the amp since it arrived...

Quote:

Originally Posted by niCe99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hello everyone.

is this any good for the price? i was under the impressions these tubes were 80+ a tube

thanks

Yes, it's a good price!

Nov 23, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #279 of 317
the black glass tung sol is my favourite of all the 12AU7's i got...I am using it right now with my EF1 and it sound really good. the regular 12AU7 tung sol is also very good and cheap also. tung sol is a great combination of warmth and high end extention.

Nov 24, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #282 of 317
Quote:

I'm not sure if the 12BH7 is OK for use in the EF1 or not. The tubes are close, but the 12BH7 draws 2x the heater current of the 12AU7. I'm not sure if that is OK in the EF1 or not.

Has anyone asked Fang about whether the 12BH7 will work in the EF1? I tried one today in my RSA Stealth (much different amp of course), and it sounded MUCH better than the Mullard box-plate CV4003 I have been using. MUCH better. So it might be worth looking into, EF1 owners
wink.gif
I gave the EF1 I had to my Dad, so can't try it...

Nov 24, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #283 of 317
Quote:

It is NOT a good idea to tube roll daily, no. You will wear out the tube socket. Maybe this is acceptable to you, as tube sockets can be replaced. You could also have someone make you a "socket Saver", basically a socket you will plug into the amp's socket, and thus when you wear it our, you just get a new one.

If you are careful, you probably won't ever damage the tube, but those are easy to replace anyway.

Or just get a Tung-Sol black-glass, and then you will only need one tube
wink.gif

Is there a 'Tung-Sol 12au7' and a 'Tung-Sol black-glass 12au7', as in two different tubes? I'm looking for this black-glass version you refer to and only find it from England on ebay.

But tubedepot has this 'tung sol 12au7':

Tung Sol JTL-12AU7

I've done business with tubedepot before and they offer good service. But if the mysterious 'black-glass' version is only available from England.....

Dec 4, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #284 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a 'Tung-Sol 12au7' and a 'Tung-Sol black-glass 12au7', as in two different tubes? I'm looking for this black-glass version you refer to and only find it from England on ebay.

But tubedepot has this 'tung sol 12au7':

Tung Sol JTL-12AU7

I've done business with tubedepot before and they offer good service. But if the mysterious 'black-glass' version is only available from England.....

I am listening right now to the regular grey plate tung-sol (bought from tube depot) and it is really fantastic sounding imo...i also have the black glass version and it also sounds amazing but I couldn't tell a noticealbe different between them.

a question to all of you op-amp rollers...
the sound with the stock opa275 is wonderfull but if i want to further improve the sound what op amp is the best for the EF1? could it be the opa627? from what i know the opa627 is really top notch and used in many great amps, including my favourite headroom ultra micro. i really prefer to just replace the op amp without any additional plugs and extentions if possible. thanks.

Jan 10, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #285 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a question to all of you op-amp rollers...
the sound with the stock opa275 is wonderfull but if i want to further improve the sound what op amp is the best for the EF1? could it be the opa627? from what i know the opa627 is really top notch and used in many great amps, including my favourite headroom ultra micro. i really prefer to just replace the op amp without any additional plugs and extentions if possible. thanks.

I am curious about this as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back