Tube Preamp vs Amp
Sep 19, 2021 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Pansbjorne

100+ Head-Fier
Currently I'm using a tube preamp into an 887 so I can control it with the input button instead of plugging and unplugging my headphones.

All things being equal, would there be any benefit to running a separate amp over a preamp?

I guess I'd be comparing something like getting a Bottlehead Crack to a Moreplay as an example.

Sep 19, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 5
For the field of Headphone, which doesn't require too much power to drive the units, I would say there is not necessary to preamp the signal, then amplifier again via head-amp. The noise will generate at every single electronic device, some of them would enjoy this change and consider this is an upgrade of the system. But it is just a type of EQ control or even distortion from the amp.

people use pre-amp because they may want to amp voltage of the signal (pre-amp) before they run into the current amp, and so in order to increase the efficiency of the power in the speaker field.

I meet the same issue with my HD800/HD800S/HD820, Finally, I got my opinion, simplifying your system is always the best choice for everything.

Sep 19, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 5
For the field of Headphone, which doesn't require too much power to drive the units, I would say there is not necessary to preamp the signal, then amplifier again via head-amp. The noise will generate at every single electronic device, some of them would enjoy this change and consider this is an upgrade of the system. But it is just a type of EQ control or even distortion from the amp.

people use pre-amp because they may want to amp voltage of the signal (pre-amp) before they run into the current amp, and so in order to increase the efficiency of the power in the speaker field.

I meet the same issue with my HD800/HD800S/HD820, Finally, I got my opinion, simplifying your system is always the best choice for everything.
Thanks! Makes sense

Sep 23, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #4 of 5
Generally speaking, a "pre-amp" has always served the same purpose as a headphone amp in this culture. In fact, many headphone amps are used as pre-amps, but it depends on the gain used. A dedicated headphone amplifier is usually better for a headphone than a pre-amp and a pre-amp is usually better as a part of an overall stereo system, but these differences can vary dependent on cost, quality, and design.

Usually, the pre-amp is much more expensive because it's intended for multiple uses, primarily as a signal distribution device to multiple high-fidelity components. A specifically designed headphone amplifier can be performance optimized for headphones only - or even to a single headphone.

To directly answer your question, though, it's always one or the other - not both (headphone amp vs pre-amp).

Nov 2, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #5 of 5
Sorry for the noobness, but my question might be related to the topic-
Can I connect a dac+amp+tube amp together?
And if yes, would it be better sound with tube amp, because of the stack amp inside?
I'm asking because I wish to plug an iem (ISN H50- 25ohm) to the tube amp (xduoo TA-20) but I know it might cause hiss.
Or would it be better using a an 3.5MM IMPEDANCE ADAPTER for the Tube amp ?
If yes which of the folowing:
https://penonaudio.com/accessories/3.5mm-impedance-adapter.html
(This is a consideration before purchasing the amp and/or the tube amp )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back