**Tube or Solid State**
Mar 26, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #61 of 146
I think I'd like to own one solid state and one tube amp ideally but there may not be money for both now. Have to start somewhere. I do like the idea of the hybrid LD...looks damn nice too!!

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #63 of 146
I've owned other amps in the past.  I sold all my gear for a decware taboo which I'm in line for.  I plan to keep my LD even after.  Just because I currently don't own a ton of amps doesn't mean I haven't heard or owned other stuff.  I don't like to hoard gear.  Out of the number amps I owned, I decided the LD was best for me while I wait for my taboo to be built.  Out of most of the stuff I have heard, I think my LD is one of the better values as far as headamps go.  

I have no experience with Audio GD gear so I cannot comment there.

The Taboo and Tori were calling to me, but I really wanted a long listen before committing to either one. So I ended up with the SLI-80 Sig instead. No regrets, though, this Cary is fantastic.

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #64 of 146
Quote:
I've owned other amps in the past.  I sold all my gear for a decware taboo which I'm in line for.  I plan to keep my LD even after.  Just because I currently don't own a ton of amps doesn't mean I haven't heard or owned other stuff.  I don't like to hoard gear.  Out of the number amps I owned, I decided the LD was best for me while I wait for my taboo to be built.  Out of most of the stuff I have heard, I think my LD is one of the better values as far as headamps go.  

I have no experience with Audio GD gear so I cannot comment there.

If you stated in your profile the previously owned gear then i wouldnt have stated anything :)

MattTCG just remember that the AudioGD has a built in DAC aswell, the LD is just an amp (right?)

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #65 of 146
tubes all the way, much more realism in the sound.

solid state if you want more accuracy and detail, also if you don't want to deal with changing tubes and stuff.

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #66 of 146
For budget and most mid range gear go with SS for truth and reality and tubes for a more romantic rose tinted approach.

For high end gear there is normally very little difference. Remember that most high end gear tries to give an accurate representation of the source. This means that there will be more similarites than differences.

Mar 27, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #67 of 146
For budget and most mid range gear go with SS for truth and reality and tubes for a more romantic rose tinted approach.

For high end gear there is normally very little difference. Remember that most high end gear tries to give an accurate representation of the source. This means that there will be more similarites than differences.

That's one reason I really like this SLI-80, triode gives me the lush romantic tube sound while pentode is more SS like, but with an edgy texture.

Mar 27, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #68 of 146
Thanks for the replies everyone. It's a great benefit to have the support of people who have used these products and tested them out. Inside knowledge is a beautiful thing!!

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #70 of 146

Gotta say +1 on that.

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #71 of 146
Lol, well as you can see there are tube fans and ss fans.  You're gonna have to make your own decision based off the sound you'll be wanting.  Much of the lower end gear has more coloration to it.  At least SS at lower price points is usually seen as more neutral and analytical, as well as more accurate and detailed.  I see tube stuff as natural, more dynaamic, annd fuller bodied, with a slight sacrifice of the advantages of SS.  To me, the advantages outweigh what you lose.  I find myself personally more engaged in the music with my LD(no experience with much other cheap tube stuff, but I imagine it has a similar signature) over the 3-4 sub $300 SS amps I owned.

It's a slight difference I think.  It's not like I am unable to enjoy my music either way.  From your specifications, it sounded like you would enjoy tubes more than SS, but the only way to find out is to listen personally.  It's easy to have very different expectations about how things are going to sound compared to how they actually do, just based off the multitude of info on here, since what people like is the most subjective thing :)

Mar 27, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #72 of 146
Somehow tubes just have a certain flesh and blood sound with more dense texture and substance in both preamps and headphone amps, with only a few very high-end preamps duplicating this that I have heard (like Dartzeel and MBL solid state preamps, maybe a Nelson Pass preamp,
and some top Mark Levinsons in the right system). On the other hand, a lot of humble tube preamps and headphone amps, even though they may have some faults, have this humanity to them.

Now one exception may be a Beta22 setup, which is class-A like a Pass amp, but I believe it generates a lot of heat, more than tubes (I never heard a Beta22, but just distilling what I have read around here, so you would need to confirm this by doing some research on headfi and maybe elsewhere).

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #73 of 146
I love my SS because it can be left on 24/7. It handles youtube, videogames, that sort of thing. When I know I have some time to invest in music the WA2 gets fired up.

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #74 of 146
I have the DT990/600. With my e9 + e17 together it sounds very harsh and a tad bit too bright. With the Hifiman EF-5 thrown in the mix everything is toned down, opened up, and balanced beautifully. Since the EF-5 is a hybrid i would imagine a tube amp would sound even warmer...which is probably good for the DT990/600. So my vote is on tube amps...plus they look awesome on your desk. Definitely a conversation starter when you have your buddies over.

Mar 28, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #75 of 146
I have the 990/600.  Had it a while.  Used an E-9 with it untill I was sure that my receiver's headphone out was better and sent the E-9 back.  Got a Maverick TubeMagic D1 and the amp section just sucks.  Still like the DAC section though.   Got a new receiver, I know, why not just an amp, well this receiver can be turned into a pre-amp or power amp if you chose and is a decidedly mid-fi Yamaha, so not to bad.  The hp out on the Yamaha was better than the first receiver, so I was wondering about all the amp talk here as the E-9 seems to be thought of as a good cheap amp.

Well I took the jump and bought a Bottlehead Crack.  It is very simple, great instructions, anyone can build it and the support forum is tops.  My Beyers' have took off.  They sound as good as anything I've ever heard before, but I don't have the money to go hi-fi, or at least what is thought of as hi-fi in most circles.  But this Crack is hi-fi and cheap.  Just had a price increase but I think you could well justify the extra outlay.  About 279 now I think. 

Again, this will make the 990/600's sing, you can change tubes and really hear the difference.  Your low impeadence phones will not work with the Crack as it is OTL, and I can't say anything about them, but I am sure that you need to match a amp that runs low impeadence headphones for them.

I have read but have no first hand knowlegde that the Crack owns the LD's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back