Tube Dac or Tube Amp, Which and Why?
Dec 26, 2012 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Rinoue

100+ Head-Fier
Hey headfiers,

I have a Stax Signature Lambda SR-404 (Normal edition) and a Stax SRM-252S Driver Unit, and I wanted to get a Tube component in the chain somewhere. This is where I realized I wasn't sure if I should upgrade the driver unit that has a tube in it, or upgrade just the dac with a tube in it, OR if I need tubes in both dac and driver unit. If so which and why??

Any insight is much appreciated

Dec 26, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 9
Common thought is tube amp, ss DAC. Tubes color the signal (generally) so you want your source as pristine as possible. I run a tube DAC with SS amps for better efficiency on orthos at the moment.

Dec 26, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
Common thought is tube amp, ss DAC. Tubes color the signal (generally) so you want your source as pristine as possible. I run a tube DAC with SS amps for better efficiency on orthos at the moment.

Can you recommend a good tube amp..
If was thinking of upgrading my mjolnir,..keeping the gungnir,& will be using he-6' ,& HD800's

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 9
For which hp? The two you mention need completely different amps. IMO, the 800s on the EC amps, (qualified) SP amps, Woo amps, DNA, RSA. The HE 6 owners who use tube amps are rare. Wuwhere has been using a couple powerful tube amps. Dr.Roberts is using a BAT 55SE. Not had enough experience with tubes with enough power to recommend.

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 9
What are you using as a source for the Stax rig at the moment? What's your budget? A better DAC in general can help a lot with them.

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
What are you using as a source for the Stax rig at the moment? What's your budget? A better DAC in general can help a lot with them.

I'm using Flac> Foobar2000> Wasapi> USB> AudioGD Compass DAC> Stax SRM-252S> SR-404 Lambda Signatures . My budget would be around $700 maybe $800 but I don't want to go that high.

Mar 27, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #8 of 9
Hi Guys,

I would like to ask that, if i am using Tube DAC + Tube Amp... what is the sound result compare to i use SS DAC + Tube Amp?

If i am using Tube DAC + SS amp ... is it equal to SS DAC + Tube Amp?

Thanks in advance.

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #9 of 9

Hi Guys,

I would like to ask that, if i am using Tube DAC + Tube Amp... what is the sound result compare to i use SS DAC + Tube Amp?

If i am using Tube DAC + SS amp ... is it equal to SS DAC + Tube Amp?

Thanks in advance.

seems like your question is answered in the 2nd post lol.

So the best set-up would be a SS DAC + tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back