Tube Change/Biasing a Stax 006t II
Oct 1, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #61 of 78
I add here a question about a doubt... somewere I've read about a "strange" situation inside a 006Tii and, checking inside mine, 006Ts too...
there are those resistors, about 5k, in series to each channel, R+ R- L+ L-, added during product improvments for safety reasons... now about that one connected to R+ it seems it is short-circuited, in praxis that resistor seems to be there to do nothing as, measured, the value is not 5k but 0,3Ohm beacuse of the short
here a couple of pictures about taken at both pcb sides...

mini_20220913_172658.jpg
mini_20220913_172632.jpg

in the second picture you can see there are three row connected all to the same point, so the resistoryou can see in background is shorted... imho the row on the right should not be there... anybody has any idea/opinion about that? is there anybody that have a circuit diagram of this ampli son we can read how that resistor should be connected from the project?

Oct 2, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #62 of 78
you should check the other 3 resistors. if they are all shorted, it was deliberate. if not, definitely a mistake

Feb 3, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #70 of 78
... the first on the right... that one marked with yellow X

mini_20220913_172632_1.jpg

... and I've also changed the trimmer (those horrible single-turn) with a 10-turns... this help when setting the bias... but the real problem is that when you remove the top housing to reach the trimmers and then position it back the temperature inside change and the output voltage too... so I've done a DIY top-housing to... 1) reduce the internal temperature that is good for components life time and... 2) have access with ceramic screw driver to the trimmers keeping the temperature inside the unit more stable... it helps

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #71 of 78
these are the trimmers... not extremely difficult to do but not very easy too... you need to know how to de-solder and solder properly

mini_20221108_100548.jpg

and this is the diy cover... well not the very last one which has four holes (normally closed) on the vertical of the trimmers to allow adjustment

mini_20221108_101144.jpg

I use Sylvania 6SN7 GTB (in the picture are Tungsol) with adapter

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #72 of 78
... the first on the right... that one marked with yellow X

mini_20220913_172632_1.jpg

... and I've also changed the trimmer (those horrible single-turn) with a 10-turns... this help when setting the bias... but the real problem is that when you remove the top housing to reach the trimmers and then position it back the temperature inside change and the output voltage too... so I've done a DIY top-housing to... 1) reduce the internal temperature that is good for components life time and... 2) have access with ceramic screw driver to the trimmers keeping the temperature inside the unit more stable... it helps
Great, thanks!

Feb 17, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #74 of 78
I just replaced the stock Electro-Harmonix tubes in my 006tS with a pair of NOS RCA Clear Tops. I have to say, I dislike how the right channel TVR1 pot is right next to the volume pot and under a tangle of wires. It's a much bigger hassle to adjust it than the other three trim pots. The new tubes will probably need a few hundred more hours of burn in, as they've been powered on for only about 4 hours so far, but I think the bass is a little more prominent with them. Maybe a bit more dynamics overall, but I'm not too sure of that yet. This 006tS has the CCS mod applied, so tube changes probably make less of a difference than with a stock amp, but the replacement tubes are certainly not any worse than the stock ones.

Feb 26, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #75 of 78
... in the meantime I kept racking my brains about that transformer screwed onto the pcb, the same pcb on which are the valves that we know would be better not to undergo vibrations that certainly go to diminish the quaintness of the sound (as also on non-valve electronics)...

I did a first experiment by putting three cones made of synthetic/ceramic material (these are the ones used in metal cleaning machines...cost a few cents each) getting some benefits, especially in the low register, and this confirmed that even in this case the transformer vibrates (as they all ALWAYS do) and good it does not do to the sound...

mini_20230226_090226.jpg

one solution would be to elastically decouple the transformer from the pcb, which is not difficult but not immediate and, above all, requires the purchase of excessive amounts of material that would then remain in my house for life...

drumming with my fingers, I realized that the bottom sheet metal of the cabinet resonates like the skin of a drum ... and that sheet metal is directly coupled to the pcb through hexagonal studs ... and in the basement I had leftovers from an experiment I did a while back ... so ... I applied some STP Gold, Dynamat Extreme equivalent, to the inside of the bottom sheet...

mini_20230225_115647.jpg

mini_20230226_085805.jpg

the result?
I can't express an absolute opinion that mod should be compared in parallel with a non-modded machine... and I can't rely completely on the acoustic memory which we all know to be fleeting... but, without falling into easy enthusiasm, I found... slightly wider and deeper sound image... improved intelligibility of low registers (percussion in classical orchestral music)... better ability to control full orchestral sounds than the image that no longer tends to collapse slightly...no noticed negatives such as drier sound with loss of harmonics or others

in summary... an easy, cheap, effective, easily reversible modification... I'm happy and I'll keep it in place

p.s.: I'm using Sylvania 6SN7GTB that are taller and heavier then the standard tubes... but imho sounds much better... so maybe that's also why vibration damping gives such effective results

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back