Tube Change/Biasing a Stax 006t II
Apr 9, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #33 of 78
Well, I managed to do it, and it all went well. Getting a zero reading was impossible, but I think I got within one.
In any case, the proof is in the pudding, and the RCA tubes are a major improvement, making the bass a little more robust and, importantly, 
adding some warmth and smoothness to the upper mids (and highs), so my 009s sound extraordinary with my 007t/ii amp.
It's a superb combo in my book.

Apr 12, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #34 of 78
Well, I managed to do it, and it all went well. Getting a zero reading was impossible, but I think I got within one.
In any case, the proof is in the pudding, and the RCA tubes are a major improvement, making the bass a little more robust and, importantly, 
adding some warmth and smoothness to the upper mids (and highs), so my 009s sound extraordinary with my 007t/ii amp.
It's a superb combo in my book.

Great! Are you using rca clear-tops?

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #35 of 78
Yep, a matched set of 4 RCA cleartops from tube depot ($239).

tubedepot.com/products/6cg7-6fq7-rca-clear-top

I was surprised how major of an improvement it is. I've done lots of listening at pretty high volume levels with no strain that I can hear.
The SR009/007tii combination is really special, with no fatigue even on the popular or 60's music I listen to.
The speed of the sound, with lots of separation in a fast moving series of drum taps, is amazing and very satisfying, and what I think only electrostatic phones can do.
There is gobs of detail, but not hyped up, just natural detail.
It's sweet and insightful and delicate; I can hear what sounds like the fullest amount character of each instrument note and vocal I ever heard on headphones or speakers.
I sometimes think it's bass light, but then some big deep bass note will startle me with its impact. Bass transparency is as good as I have heard it; this not any sense of
subwoofery bass pumping; the bass sound is full of bass details, and it is there and then it is gone with no annoying hangover.

Jul 13, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #36 of 78
Here are some photos from my surgery on my Stax 007t/ii amp to install the RCA cleartops and perform the rebiasing. I can't emphasize how gorgeous the sound is with my SR009 phones. I was surprised at how good it is and how it perfectly targeted the treble area of the 009 and made them evenhanded from top to bottom frequencies and added overall refinement. The improvement was striking.

Apr 18, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #37 of 78

Very Good info on this thread!  The  trimmer adjustment tool can be ordered from Newark Electronics.

http://www.newark.com/vishay-spectrol/008t000/trimmer-adjustment-tool-w-clip/dp/67F5795

RCA clear top 6FQ7/6CG7 tubes from the 60's, 70's (NOS) sound the best, but are hard to find.

Tube World has pairs every so often, but they sell fast, so do not delay.

NOS tubes are like antiques, so buy without hesitation, when you find them, or regret it!

I suggest buying up a lifetime supply NOW!

The STAX amps now come from the factory with Russian Electro-Harmonix tubes, which I find "bright".

This is where the "false rumor" that the SR-009 is 'bright" sounding comes from IMO.

I own the SRM-T1S and SRM-006tS amps.

I also own the SR-009, Lambda Nova Signature, and SRX MK3 headphones.

Once warmed up, and playing music, for about 2 hours, the STAX amps match up to, or beat, the $6,000+ tube amps IMO.

The RCA tubes last about 4 to 5,000 hours vs 2000 hours for EL34's.

You should used balanced (XLR) cables, and a good CD/SACD player, computer, or phono for optimal sound!

PRO XLR cables that use Mogami or Canare wire are best. They are inexpensive. Avoid expensive audiophile XLR cables, they will not sound better IMO.

http://www.markertek.com/product/sc100xxj/canare-star-quad-microphone-cable-3-pin-xlr-male-to-female-100-foot-black

STAX are, and have always been, the best headphones!   ENJOY!

Feb 15, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #38 of 78
Silly question. Can you just swap one tube for another. I mean can you simply remove current russian tube and put RCA tubes WITHOUT doing any other tuning? Thanks

Sep 17, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #41 of 78
I need to bias my SR007tII as the original tubes on the right channel died. I see in the 007tII, there are TVR3 and TVR4. I can't find a schematic for this amp and am trying to find out what these trimmers are? Is setting the DC balance and DC offset with TVR1 and TVR2 enough?

TVR3 and TVR4 has corresponding test points. I am thinking it is for biasing the tubes but without a schematic, I can't really say. Anyone?

Sep 17, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #42 of 78
I need to bias my SR007tII as the original tubes on the right channel died. I see in the 007tII, there are TVR3 and TVR4. I can't find a schematic for this amp and am trying to find out what these trimmers are? Is setting the DC balance and DC offset with TVR1 and TVR2 enough?

TVR3 and TVR4 has corresponding test points. I am thinking it is for biasing the tubes but without a schematic, I can't really say. Anyone?

http://www.head-fi.org/a/adjusting-bias-on-stax-tube-amplifiers

May 21, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #43 of 78
After my right channel tube died (I bought my Energizer used) I undertook a somewhat risky operation today as I replaced the stock tubes from my SRM-006tA to a NOS RCA clear top matched pair. I ended up going for about 0.5v on both tubes.

The sound is really improved compared to the stock tubes, the soundstage is noticeably extended we are on a whole other level just changing tubes alone, that's truly impressive, this is also testament to how bad/unsuited the stock tubes are on Stax amplifiers.

Obspdzk.jpg

Last edited:
May 17, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #44 of 78
Hi. I am new in this forum because I am searching for detailed Information how to rebias a STAX SRM-007tII after a tube change. There is an old posting and link but it does not work any more. Can anyone help me?
So where do I have to put the probes of the DMM (there are internal test Points on the PCB), which is the related trimpot, which voltage, all zeroed?
Thanks in advance!

May 17, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #45 of 78
Hi. I am new in this forum because I am searching for detailed Information how to rebias a STAX SRM-007tII after a tube change. There is an old posting and link but it does not work any more. Can anyone help me?
So where do I have to put the probes of the DMM (there are internal test Points on the PCB), which is the related trimpot, which voltage, all zeroed?
Thanks in advance!
I have a back up copy of that instruction and the images somewhere. Send me a pm if I forget

Users who are viewing this thread

Back