Tube Change/Biasing a Stax 006t II
May 17, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #46 of 78
Hi everyone. The images in old posts were lost in migration to a new HeadFi version. I had a back up on my computer

________________________________________________________________________________
Changing Tubes in a STAX Tube Headphone Amplifier
Originally posted by Colorado Tom source click here

The following description is specific to the STAX 006t II vacuum tube output driver unit but much of the procedure is similar for any of the STAX tube units (SRM-T1, SRM-T1S, SRM-T1W, SRM-006t and SRM-006tA/II)

WARNING – DON’T BE STUPID. If you cannot read English very well, are uncomfortable around high voltages, describe yourself as “all thumbs”, “ham-fisted” or “awkward” and have never worked inside of any electrical component that has potentially lethal voltages DO NOT attempt any of the procedures listed below. Do yourself and your equipment a favor and find someone who can, or take a copy of this to a local audio/video repair shop and ask them if understand what is being described and can they can do it for you.

Disclaimer – I make no warranty and accept no responsibility for suitability of any materials listed below. I assume no responsibility or liability for errors or inaccuracies. Reader accepts all responsibility for any and all results obtained. Use of any supplied materials constitutes acceptance and understanding of these disclaimers.

STAX clearly states on the Operating Manual for the 006t II that “This product operates with a high voltage. It is extremely dangerous to attempt to dismantle or modify the unit in any way, and under no circumstance should any such attempt be made.” What I have done has clearly violated the manufacturer’s warranty – YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

What follows is a description of how I changed and adjusted the tubes in my personal STAX 006t II vacuum tube amplifier.

The tools I used were a philips screwdriver (to remove the cover), an insulated (plastic) slot head screwdriver (to adjust the internal potentiometers), and a good quality multimeter that is set to measure volts .... NOT AMPS!

Procedure I used:

I disconnected the headphones, unplugged the unit from the wall power, and using a Philips screwdriver, removed the four screws that hold the top.

I removed the two 6FQ7 (6CG7) tubes and replaced them with the new tubes (that were checked with a tube tester prior to insertion in the unit).

With the cover still off I plugged in and powered up the unit leaving it on for about and hour to stabilize. WARNING – at this point the cover is off and the unit is powered. I NEVER leave an electrical unit in this state unattended for any reason.

Below is a diagram of the earspeaker connector as it would appear if you were looking at it from the front of the unit. There are two of these connectors with the words “PRO ONLY” above them. They will not have "L+", "L-", "R+".... those labels identify the holes for the purpose of the discussion below.

Stax Pin Layout.jpg

WARNING - DO NOT under any circumstances put a probe into the socket shown on the bottom right labeled above as “Bias”. In fact, I covered it with a small piece of tape so that I wouldn’t have the possibility of an accident that could damage the unit or myself.

I set my multimeter to measure volts and inserted the positive probe into the slot shown above labeled “L+” and inserted the negative probe into the slot labeled “L-”. At this point I was measuring dc balance. My first measurement was in the 6 volt range, the reading could have been higher or lower, the goal is to get it under 1 volt. To adjust the value I used a plastic (NOT METAL) slot head screwdriver and adjusted the potentiometer labeled “TVR1” for the left channel. The potentiometer is EXTREMELY sensitive and the meter reading will have a tendency to drift around a bit. With some effort I was able to get the reading stabilized at about 0.250 volts.

Stax 006 offset pot.jpg

I then removed the negative probe from the slot labeled “L-“ and attached the probe to the ground post labeled “GND” at the back of the unit. At this point I was measuring dc offset. Initially, the dc offset was around 1.5 volts. Again, the object was to get the dc volts under 1 volt. To adjust the value I used a plastic (NOT METAL) slot head screwdriver and adjusted the potentiometer labeled “TVR2” for the left channel. Again, the potentiometer is EXTREMELY sensitive and the meter reading will have a tendency to drift around a bit With some effort I was able to get the reading stabilized at about 0.090 volts.

I confirmed that the dc balance was still below 1 volt by removing the negative probe from the ground post and re-inserting it into the slot shown above labeled “L-”. If needed I could have adjusted the dc balance again and lowered it under 1 volt, but it still measured close to 0.250 volts. This process of going back and forth between the adjustment of dc balance and dc offset could have happened several times.

At this point the left channel adjustments were complete. I followed the exact same procedure for the right channel with similar results for the measured and adjusted voltages.

With both channels adjusted I turned off and unplugged the unit. With the unit unplugged I attached the top using the four screws and then plugged in the unit into the wall power and I was done.

May 18, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #47 of 78
Thank you Ardilla for the re-posting of the instruction and pictures. I think it‘s similar for the 007tII and one just has to identify the trimpots for Balance and offset. They are not as nicely labled as in the 006.

May 18, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #48 of 78
Thank you Ardilla for the re-posting of the instruction and pictures. I think it‘s similar for the 007tII and one just has to identify the trimpots for Balance and offset. They are not as nicely labled as in the 006.

I followed this with the 007. It's a few years ago, but I cannot remember any problems. Good luck!

Dec 25, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #49 of 78
Thanks for the great tutorial!

I have just bought second hand 006tS with original tubes of unknown mileage, so I decided to replace 'em with a pair of matched NOS RCA's clear-tops (tubedepot).

I followed the tutorial and I think I did it right, but since I'm new to Stax, can someone please comment on my findings?

During adjustment the voltages were swinging like crazy, at some point I realized this might be temperature related, and indeed, putting the cover back on changes readings by a few V. I managed to get all voltages to <1V (0.09 and 0.5 DC, 0.3 for offset) with the case on with amp fully warmed up - but immediately after turning it on the readings are at few V (one at 10V), and are relatively quickly (5mins?) going down to ~1V range, then further down - I guess this is all normal and there is nothing to worry about? Thanks!

Feb 1, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #52 of 78
Hi everyone. The images in old posts were lost in migration to a new HeadFi version. I had a back up on my computer

________________________________________________________________________________
Changing Tubes in a STAX Tube Headphone Amplifier
Originally posted by Colorado Tom source click here

The following description is specific to the STAX 006t II vacuum tube output driver unit but much of the procedure is similar for any of the STAX tube units (SRM-T1, SRM-T1S, SRM-T1W, SRM-006t and SRM-006tA/II)

WARNING – DON’T BE STUPID. If you cannot read English very well, are uncomfortable around high voltages, describe yourself as “all thumbs”, “ham-fisted” or “awkward” and have never worked inside of any electrical component that has potentially lethal voltages DO NOT attempt any of the procedures listed below. Do yourself and your equipment a favor and find someone who can, or take a copy of this to a local audio/video repair shop and ask them if understand what is being described and can they can do it for you.

Disclaimer – I make no warranty and accept no responsibility for suitability of any materials listed below. I assume no responsibility or liability for errors or inaccuracies. Reader accepts all responsibility for any and all results obtained. Use of any supplied materials constitutes acceptance and understanding of these disclaimers.

STAX clearly states on the Operating Manual for the 006t II that “This product operates with a high voltage. It is extremely dangerous to attempt to dismantle or modify the unit in any way, and under no circumstance should any such attempt be made.” What I have done has clearly violated the manufacturer’s warranty – YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

What follows is a description of how I changed and adjusted the tubes in my personal STAX 006t II vacuum tube amplifier.

The tools I used were a philips screwdriver (to remove the cover), an insulated (plastic) slot head screwdriver (to adjust the internal potentiometers), and a good quality multimeter that is set to measure volts .... NOT AMPS!

Procedure I used:

I disconnected the headphones, unplugged the unit from the wall power, and using a Philips screwdriver, removed the four screws that hold the top.

I removed the two 6FQ7 (6CG7) tubes and replaced them with the new tubes (that were checked with a tube tester prior to insertion in the unit).

With the cover still off I plugged in and powered up the unit leaving it on for about and hour to stabilize. WARNING – at this point the cover is off and the unit is powered. I NEVER leave an electrical unit in this state unattended for any reason.

Below is a diagram of the earspeaker connector as it would appear if you were looking at it from the front of the unit. There are two of these connectors with the words “PRO ONLY” above them. They will not have "L+", "L-", "R+".... those labels identify the holes for the purpose of the discussion below.

Stax Pin Layout.jpg

WARNING - DO NOT under any circumstances put a probe into the socket shown on the bottom right labeled above as “Bias”. In fact, I covered it with a small piece of tape so that I wouldn’t have the possibility of an accident that could damage the unit or myself.

I set my multimeter to measure volts and inserted the positive probe into the slot shown above labeled “L+” and inserted the negative probe into the slot labeled “L-”. At this point I was measuring dc balance. My first measurement was in the 6 volt range, the reading could have been higher or lower, the goal is to get it under 1 volt. To adjust the value I used a plastic (NOT METAL) slot head screwdriver and adjusted the potentiometer labeled “TVR1” for the left channel. The potentiometer is EXTREMELY sensitive and the meter reading will have a tendency to drift around a bit. With some effort I was able to get the reading stabilized at about 0.250 volts.

Stax 006 offset pot.jpg

I then removed the negative probe from the slot labeled “L-“ and attached the probe to the ground post labeled “GND” at the back of the unit. At this point I was measuring dc offset. Initially, the dc offset was around 1.5 volts. Again, the object was to get the dc volts under 1 volt. To adjust the value I used a plastic (NOT METAL) slot head screwdriver and adjusted the potentiometer labeled “TVR2” for the left channel. Again, the potentiometer is EXTREMELY sensitive and the meter reading will have a tendency to drift around a bit With some effort I was able to get the reading stabilized at about 0.090 volts.

I confirmed that the dc balance was still below 1 volt by removing the negative probe from the ground post and re-inserting it into the slot shown above labeled “L-”. If needed I could have adjusted the dc balance again and lowered it under 1 volt, but it still measured close to 0.250 volts. This process of going back and forth between the adjustment of dc balance and dc offset could have happened several times.

At this point the left channel adjustments were complete. I followed the exact same procedure for the right channel with similar results for the measured and adjusted voltages.

With both channels adjusted I turned off and unplugged the unit. With the unit unplugged I attached the top using the four screws and then plugged in the unit into the wall power and I was done.
Thank you very much for these instructions! Mission accomplished.

Feb 6, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #53 of 78
I can confirm these instructions also work for the SRM-500t.

To remove the cover you will need a philips screwdriver for the side panel and torx T5 for the top panel.

I did not manage to get balance stable under 1 volt as the tubes keep wandering multiple volts. Also in stock setting it read about +4.5 volts anyway.

Attachments

• 20220207_135751.jpg
    20220207_135751.jpg
    729.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #54 of 78
Thanks for the great tutorial!

I have just bought second hand 006tS with original tubes of unknown mileage, so I decided to replace 'em with a pair of matched NOS RCA's clear-tops (tubedepot).

I followed the tutorial and I think I did it right, but since I'm new to Stax, can someone please comment on my findings?

During adjustment the voltages were swinging like crazy, at some point I realized this might be temperature related, and indeed, putting the cover back on changes readings by a few V. I managed to get all voltages to <1V (0.09 and 0.5 DC, 0.3 for offset) with the case on with amp fully warmed up - but immediately after turning it on the readings are at few V (one at 10V), and are relatively quickly (5mins?) going down to ~1V range, then further down - I guess this is all normal and there is nothing to worry about? Thanks!

That helped. I finally got the voltages under 1 volt now. And yeah, I also get different readings between warmed up and cold start.

Sep 17, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #56 of 78
Hi
I’m trying to adjust a 006ts, inside there are two tubes brand new (not more then 50 hours)… I’m unable to have constant values for balance and offset... I turn the unit on and wait 30 minutes… then I can only obtain values oscillating as follow
R offset … from 0,3 to 0,8
R balance… from 0,7 to 2,2
L offset... from 0,2 to 1,3
L balance… from -0,9 to 1,4
I had another calibration session couple of day ago… but today, after heating time the values on the R were around 10v… 😲

is this normal?

… and…is it normal that with a very very thing rotation on the trimmer (especially the R one in my case) the value jump from -40 to +50… 60… or even munch more the 100v? Is it normal that trimmer has so bad quality… the movement is very sticky with jumps, like edges …?

Thks in advance for your help (please help!)

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #57 of 78
Hi
I’m trying to adjust a 006ts, inside there are two tubes brand new (not more then 50 hours)… I’m unable to have constant values for balance and offset... I turn the unit on and wait 30 minutes… then I can only obtain values oscillating as follow
I had another calibration session couple of day ago… but today, after heating time the values on the R were around 10v… 😲

is this normal?

… and…is it normal that with a very very thing rotation on the trimmer (especially the R one in my case) the value jump from -40 to +50… 60… or even munch more the 100v? Is it normal that trimmer has so bad quality… the movement is very sticky with jumps, like edges …?

Yes, trimmers are VERY sensitive. As for the drift, let it warm with the cover on (but unscrewed), slide it off for a short moment, adjust (before it cools down too much), slide the cover back on, let it get warmer again, observe in which direction the voltages drift, slide it off, adjust taking that drift into account, slide on, wait, check... after some 10 or 20 repetitions of this procedure you have the chance to get it right.

Sep 17, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #58 of 78
Hi

is this normal?

New tubes tend to wander like that, no worries. When tubes settle in then ratings tend to stabilize, so a round of fine-tuning could be in order.

These units are clearly not meant for tube rolling.. The trimmers are really that bad.

Sep 18, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #59 of 78
Thank you :)

… and… I see you have both Stax and hd600… I’m testing a Stax 006ts with L300le against OTL with HD6XX… is it normal that the female voices (jazz or classic music) are more backward, with less life… less energy and texture, with the Stax? I mean… I know that HD600/650/6XX are champion in midrange but the gap against Stax I didn’t immagine could be that big

about trimmers… if I will keep this Stax system those trimmers will be immediately replaced with Bourns multi turn

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #60 of 78
Thank you :)

… and… I see you have both Stax and hd600… I’m testing a Stax 006ts with L300le against OTL with HD6XX… is it normal that the female voices (jazz or classic music) are more backward, with less life… less energy and texture, with the Stax? I mean… I know that HD600/650/6XX are champion in midrange but the gap against Stax I didn’t immagine could be that big

about trimmers… if I will keep this Stax system those trimmers will be immediately replaced with Bourns multi turn

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back