Tube Amps vs. Tube DACs
Jun 18, 2010 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

sebastian589

500+ Head-Fier
I recently decided to redo my setup  and start over again with my MS-2's. I  love the MS-2's sound signature and its details, but it wasn't until I matched it up to a tube amp that I really fell in love with the MS-2's. I recently sold my amp and dac to a friend so I'm looking into new amps and DAC's. Back  when I bought my old DAC tube DAC''s werent as popular or as numerous as they are now. I'm just wondering  about the synergy a system will have if  it's all tube, vs all solid state vs a combination of  the two. If I go with a tube DAC will matching it with a tube amp be warmness overkill?  
I've  had alot of phones and amps in my headgearcareer but some of my favorite setups were the ones below

Beyer DT880s and HD650's with GLite, X-Can V3 (PF mods) and a Woo3
RS-2's with a MAD EAR, XCAN
MS-2's with the millett max,  MAD Ear and also a Hornet (briefly on loan) 
All were paired with a Channel Islands VDA DAC

I'm  not looking to break the bank with my new setup a I recently bought a new amp for my stereo speakers. I really enjoyed the Mapletree Ear with the MS-2's, and the Hornet was pretty nice too. I haven't been on the site much lately and  will be doing my research over the next few days but feel free to throw in any recommendations for DACs/amps

Thanks

Jun 19, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #2 of 21
Pretty please think long and hard about getting a tube DAC. srsly. There are better ways to screw things up than by running a high voltage tube with 12V on the plate, at pico-amps of idle current, and with a resistive plate load. For good measure drive the cable off of the tube without a buffer or transformer too. Until you are in the OMFGWTFBBQ did you spend on audio gear ranges you are buying an overpriced coloration. After you get into stuff designed by people who can hear (or at least care to listen to their gear as opposed to just what they can sell) your options open up. Despite the fact that I tend to like tubes very few "enduring" DACs (DACs that have stood the test of time, or even been reviewed consistently well at all) use tubes. Its a bitter pill to swallow, but there she is. (see footnote)

Amps on the other hand are a different story. go for it. bottles of sex are always nice in an amp putting out a few mW of power.

Footnote:
Please re-read that. I didnt say that tubes CANT work well and sound great in a DAC, they can. You should just reallllly consider whether its worth it, and up to a point it definitely isnt.

Jun 19, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 21
How much are you willing to spend? I am sure a uDAC and Little Dot I+ would be a wonderful combination if you are on a budget. Can't help you with the tube DAC, however.

Jun 19, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #5 of 21

Quote:
Interesting thread. 
Nikongod, what is your thought about tube output CD player? 

CD players are a combination of a DAC and a transport in 1 box.

Tube output CD player is a misnomer really... its a tube output DAC in the same box as the transport which brings it right back to the above.

Jun 21, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #8 of 21
Double post

Jun 21, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #9 of 21

Quote:
Pretty please think long and hard about getting a tube DAC. srsly. There are better ways to screw things up than by running a high voltage tube with 12V on the plate, at pico-amps of idle current, and with a resistive plate load. For good measure drive the cable off of the tube without a buffer or transformer too. Until you are in the OMFGWTFBBQ did you spend on audio gear ranges you are buying an overpriced coloration...

Footnote:
Please re-read that. I didnt say that tubes CANT work well and sound great in a DAC, they can. You should just reallllly consider whether its worth it, and up to a point it definitely isnt.

This was my suspicion, SS DAC it is,I've certainly never been displeased with my previous DACs. Now its on to the research stage to find a new DAC and amp. While I have a thread open and  running I'll ask for some suggestions, I haven't been on the forums much  the  last year or so and I'm guessing I've missed some exciting amps, any FOTM's or otherwise that have been released to critical acclaim that I should be particularly aware of (especially for Grados). I'd like to keep it under 300, but could go up to four bills if there's something that really jumps out.

Jun 21, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #10 of 21
Thanks for all your replies

Jun 22, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #11 of 21
I disagree regarding tube DAC's, I've been running an AudioNote DAC 1 for years now, there isn't a CD player or transport I've tried that didn't sound better through it, and I've got valves/tubes in my mono blocks and preamp as well, just get the balance right with the right cabling and it can't be beaten (in my humble opinion)

Jun 22, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
Pretty please think long and hard about getting a tube DAC. srsly. There are better ways to screw things up than by running a high voltage tube with 12V on the plate, at pico-amps of idle current, and with a resistive plate load. For good measure drive the cable off of the tube without a buffer or transformer too. Until you are in the OMFGWTFBBQ did you spend on audio gear ranges you are buying an overpriced coloration. After you get into stuff designed by people who can hear (or at least care to listen to their gear as opposed to just what they can sell) your options open up. Despite the fact that I tend to like tubes very few "enduring" DACs (DACs that have stood the test of time, or even been reviewed consistently well at all) use tubes. Its a bitter pill to swallow, but there she is. (see footnote)

Amps on the other hand are a different story. go for it. bottles of sex are always nice in an amp putting out a few mW of power.

Footnote:

I simply can not agree with this after listening to the Eastern Electric Minimax DAC for the past few months. This DAC uses the 9018 Sabre DAC chipset that is considered the best out there by most. This unit has a switch on the front panel which allows you to completely remove the tube from the circuit. The difference between with the tube, and without is VERY subtle.
The tube in the circuit brings a slight bit more body to the sound, just like good tube designs does, but does NOT mess with the speed or extension of solid state sound. I have owned or listened to five to ten thousand dollar DACs in my life, and this one sounds better than any of them IMO .... Don't sell a properly designed and implememnted tube DAC short.

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #13 of 21
If you're looking for something that won't beak the bank, I'd recommend the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1.  The tube is really just to "flavor" one of the pre outs though.  It doesn't have anything to do with the HP out, which is all SS.  You could hook the tube pre out to your speaker amp, and the SS pre out to a tube HP amp and enjoy the tube flavor on both.

Standard Disclaimer:  I'm not affiliated with Maverick Audio in any way.  I've been using this handle for almost a decade now.

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #14 of 21

Quote:

I simply can not agree with this after listening to the Eastern Electric Minimax DAC for the past few months. This DAC uses the 9018 Sabre DAC chipset that is considered the best out there by most. This unit has a switch on the front panel which allows you to completely remove the tube from the circuit. The difference between with the tube, and without is VERY subtle.
The tube in the circuit brings a slight bit more body to the sound, just like good tube designs does, but does NOT mess with the speed or extension of solid state sound. I have owned or listened to five to ten thousand dollar DACs in my life, and this one sounds better than any of them IMO .... Don't sell a properly designed and implememnted tube DAC short.

He's not saying ditch the tubes completely. You can still get a tube amp later.

Jun 23, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #15 of 21
I think Nikongod's post is about principle. For me it's kind a like the over-sampling or not discussion. Fascinating, but beyond me.

When it comes to individual products or personal taste, there will be many that it won't apply. (personally, I am very happy with my Decware ZCD - which is a tube output CD player)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back