Tube Amp under $500 for K701s
Feb 15, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #16 of 30
Look for a used Singlepower amp. Don't buy new; you'll save 50% or more with a used amp. Even if you have to completely retube it, you still come out ahead.

Feb 15, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #17 of 30
I thought I'd share a picture of my tube amp setup at work - the €65 Tube Ultragain MIC200, the extremely comfortable HP910 cans, and the Mac Bok Pro. I usually have an hour or so each work day when I can listen to music as I work, and the tube amp just makes that so much more enjoyable.

Feb 15, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #18 of 30
I've got a WA6 on the way to use with my 701's and I've heard nothing but great things about it. I also have the X-can v3 which I currently use and the more I listen to it, the more impressed I am with how it sounds with the 701's. Its very clean across the spectrum and owing to its hybrid design it seems to handle the bass in the 701's better than my WA3+ did. I don't have the Pink Floyd mods and was considering selling my X-can but now I'm having second thoughts. I'll just have to see how much I like the WA6 and then decide.

I am a firm believer in the fact that the 701's need a lot of power to push them well and solid state is virtually always a cheaper source of more power. That being said, parts of the frequency range of the 701 REALLY shined on the WA3+ which leads me to believe that these cans can be something special with the right tube application. I'll let you know next week!

Feb 16, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope. I disagree strenuously with how that amp was marketted on this forum, so wouldn't consider it. But anyway, the solid state choices available under $500 are spectacular.

???????

Would you please elaborate?

Feb 16, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #20 of 30
I vote for the DV336i with some tube rolling. You should be able to get an used one for $250, then read the DV336i tube rolling thread for tubes.

Feb 17, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No good reason to, really.

Just to jump in, I think it's a nice amp choice if you have the skills and desire to perform mods and make repairs.

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #25 of 30
another vote for BADA PH-12, really brings out all the detail as well as compensating for the bass. Fantastic value for the money, honestly
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought I'd share a picture of my tube amp setup at work - the €65 Tube Ultragain MIC200, the extremely comfortable HP910 cans, and the Mac Bok Pro. I usually have an hour or so each work day when I can listen to music as I work, and the tube amp just makes that so much more enjoyable.

Hey, I also have one at home, but a lower model, MIC100.
Actually, it's my dad's, but it's microphone pre-amp, isn't it?
How good it is when used as a headphone amp?

I don't know if the model I have can also be used as headphone amp, but I will give it a try when I can find its adapter
tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 12:08 PM Post #27 of 30
Yes, that's the same amp, except that mine has an extra mode switch which is not really needed for use with headphones.

I did not (yet) compare it to my xcan, but it is very good with my laptop playing mp3 files, compared to connecting the headpones directly to the laptop. Try it out, I'm curious what you think about it!

Feb 17, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Yes, that's the same amp, except that mine has an extra mode switch which is not really needed for use with headphones.

I did not (yet) compare it to my xcan, but it is very good with my laptop playing mp3 files, compared to connecting the headpones directly to the laptop. Try it out, I'm curious what you think about it!

I've just talked with my dad about his pre-mic. I asked about the adaptor and told him I want to try this out with my cans, but he said I couldn'd do that with MIC100, as it only has one channel output
confused.gif
(no wonder why it's named MIC100
biggrin.gif
). Since yours is MIC200, I'm sure it sports 2 channels output
biggrin.gif

Too bad I can't tell you my impression because of the above reason.
confused.gif

Aug 7, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

I suppose that is a drawback.

Now that's what I call an understatement!

I've just found the answer to my question I asked you in the other thread DefectiveAudioComponent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back