Tube Amp under $2k?
Jul 18, 2018 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bclark8923

500+ Head-Fier
Hello!

Looking to make my first foray into tube amps. Have a Hifiman Ananda (Similar enough in sound to HEXV2) and Metrum Pavane Level 3. Looks wise the WA7 looks awesome but looking for other recommendations of amps to keep an eye out for!

Jul 18, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #2 of 5
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wells-milo-w-khozmo-vishay-series-resisters-xlr-inputs.883807/

Hard to recommend anything in your price range when this is available. It's SS that gives you the best of both worlds. I got to play around with this same model driving Abyss Phis and Utopias and was blown away at the sq/$. The Khozmo attenuator and Vishany naked Z foils are a massive upgrade. If you could audition this you'd buy it considering the price and what it competes with. Jeff Wells builds SS amps that sound musical, holographic and airy like tubes but with the drive and speed of SS. Special man making special amps. Just a suggestion : )

Jul 18, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #3 of 5
My #1 sub $2k tube amp choice is the Bottlehead Mainline. As far as I can tell everything about a Bottlehead amp is well designed, and the same can't be said for most other headphone amps. Mainlines can be had pre-built for around the same price as the kit, sometimes even less if it has seem some use.

The WA7 really doesn't perform up to par with its price tag.

Jul 18, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #5 of 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back