Tube amp to drive d2000, hd650, and dt990
Jan 27, 2012 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

redquilang

Head-Fier
Whats a good relatively affordable tube amp that will effectively drive these three? I know the d2000 is low impedance, so I'm not sure that there is a tube amp versatile enought to drive them all. I like a wrmer sound, hence the tubes. Will the Bottlehead Crack drive all of them? What other amps are options?

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 4
IMHO, you need a transformer-output tube amp with switchable - Z output.  That type of tube amp will handle all types of headphone impedances.

Or, if you're not caught up in the purist definition of "tube" amp, then most any hybrid amp will do the same.

Jan 29, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 4
No.  Crack is an OTL amp, which is only suitable for high impedance headphones.  As was said right above me, you'll need a transformer-coupled tube amp or a hybrid tube amp.  Many options out there, like two choices from HiFiMan, one choice from Schiit, one choice from Bellari, and lots of choices from China.

Quote:
Will the Bottlehead Crack drive all of them?

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 4
Bottlehead have a new S.E.X 2.1 amp.  Its suitable for all your need and can handle the LCD-2 if you upgrade in the future.  Probably my next purchase along a used LCD-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back