Tube Amp for Headphones
Nov 5, 2011 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

keithd

New Head-Fier
Hi,

So after about a year of thinking about it i have finally decided to take the plunge and get myself a vinyl setup.  I have pretty much decided on a TT, the Clearaudio Concept, but am still puzzled by the amount of amps available.  I am looking to have a headphone setup primarily as this would be more considerate to my neighbours :).  I am really keen on getting a valve amp, and have seen online that their are valve amps such as the Earmax Silver edition and Amps from Woo Audio.  I have about £1000 to spend on the amp alone and am not too worried about it being a dedicated headphone amp as long as it is a valve amp and has a headphone socket.  So what do you guys think.  anyone currently using the 2 amps i mention, or is there something better?  I don't mind going over my budget for the right amp.

Cheers

Nov 6, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #4 of 6
I'm thinking of paring the amp with sennheiser hd650's.  The WA6 is defiantly something I'm thinking about.  I know being in the UK my options are more limited

Nov 10, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #5 of 6
I highly recommend the Eddie Current Zana Deux with the HD 650s.  It's the rig I've used for the last two years.  You'll find a lot of recommendations for this combination on Head Fi.  I'm actually selling my ZD because I need to raise some cash.  It's been posted on Audiogon for a couple of days:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?preatube&1325906668&item

Nov 11, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #6 of 6
I also recommend the Zana Deux. It has been the heart of my system (headphone amp and preamp) for about three years. Wonderful with the HD-650 and terrific with speakers, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back