(Tube) amp for dt990?
Nov 5, 2013 at 3:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Ayksha

New Head-Fier
Hello, head-fi
I am looking for an amp to drive my DT990 pro's since I keep reading you would really benefit with an amp for these cans..
Since I have a Xonar DG card (which apparently has a decent dac for the price but can't fully power the dt990's amp-wise) and I like to use the dolby sound or gaming (and a dac would apparently override the soundcard), which one would make the biggest difference, a dac or an amp? Also which one?
(I've read good things about a few amps like the Tubemagic A1 by Maverick Audio, and the Little Dot MKIII. The Schiit Magni & Modi are a solid choice too, everyone says).

Also, I don't know much about how amps work. What exactly is the difference between a tube and a solid state amp, and what is tube roll of?

Thanks in advance

Nov 29, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #2 of 4
I would also like to get some hint on this one...
I wanna buy the dt990 pro250, and i'd like to buy an amp that can drive the dt990 and speaker
And i found the maverick tubemagic A1, but there is no other ajustement other then volume which I find wierd for an amp.

Nov 29, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 4
  I would also like to get some hint on this one...
I wanna buy the dt990 pro250, and i'd like to buy an amp that can drive the dt990 and speaker
And i found the maverick tubemagic A1, but there is no other ajustement other then volume which I find wierd for an amp.

I can already sort of answer this for you; I went with the Schiit Magni and they may not have the best synergy with the DT990's; I disliked them enough to sell them. They can drive the 990's well enough though.

Nov 29, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #4 of 4
Check out the iFi iTube buffer, you put it between your source and amp and it give you the slightly smoother tube sound with whichever amp you use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back