Tube Amp for a maximum of $300
Jul 8, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #31 of 33
Quote:

I'm always disappointed by this, and I think that manufacturers who use tube types that basically don't allow rolling are ignoring the market dynamics of tube amps, which is that tube amp buyers WANT to roll tubes.

Further, Russian tubes for me have been a mixed bag.  Some are excellent; others, not so much.

That said, given the price point, it seems worth the time to evaluate, and Schiit has agreed to send me a review loaner when this amp is in production.

Given the reputation they seem to have built up so far I'll bet they have managed to make a good amp using those Russian tubes, but they are certainly ignoring the second main reason people still buy tube amps.  The fiddle value.  I'm rather new to the tube game, but I'm rather enjoying reading up on tubes and searching ebay for deals.  I like the idea of customizing your amp's sound to match your exact tastes.  For the time being, anything they put out is worth looking at, just based on the comedy gold of their website.

I listening to a Russian tube right now (6922EH) in my Indeed G2 hybrid.  It was plenty good enough to convince me to buy it (secondhand) but that doesn't mean I don't want to experiment a little.  I've got two different NOS Sylvanias coming in at the moment.

Looking forward to your review too.

Jul 8, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #32 of 33
I have been thinking about trying an Audioromy 6v6 based amp from eBay to use with my Maverick DAC at work. They make some other nice stuff. The seller says the headphone amp is tied to the tube output stage. 

Jul 8, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #33 of 33
I wonder if a grid resistor swap (to 121ohm 2W) like I did with the LD MK-III would allow the Valhalla to run 6H30Pi 's ?  The 6N6P is a decent tube (6N6P-I are slightly better) but the 6H30P is much better (especially the DR's). Any internal pics of the Valhalla yet ?

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back