Tube Amp for a maximum of $300
Jul 7, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #16 of 33

Quote:
Forthcoming Schiit Valhalla might be worth considering. Out in August, for $350. A little above your price range but not too much of a stretch...

My HD650 will be arriving soon, and I'm in the same situation as the OP with a similar budget of around $350.

The Valhalla, imo, is worth considering as well, but I don't know if I can wait until then. Besides, I'll take at least a few more weeks after that for reviews to trickle in from the early adopters.

My other considerations are the LD MKIII and LD MKIV. I'm very highly considering the MKIV, but I also really want to like the Valhalla and have high hopes for it.

Choosing amps is definitely harder than choosing headphones!

Jul 7, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #17 of 33

Quote:
My HD650 will be arriving soon, and I'm in the same situation as the OP with a similar budget of around $350.

The Valhalla, imo, is worth considering as well, but I don't know if I can wait until then. Besides, I'll take at least a few more weeks after that for reviews to trickle in from the early adopters.

My other considerations are the LD MKIII and LD MKIV. I'm very highly considering the MKIV, but I also really want to like the Valhalla and have high hopes for it.

Choosing amps is definitely harder than choosing headphones!

Absolutely the Little Dot MK3 for that price range - no question about it.

Jul 7, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #18 of 33
Well, MKIV is under $300 also. Isn't IV much better than III? It kinda seems that MKIII should be more in the under-$200 category instead.

Jul 7, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:
It kinda seems that MKIII should be more in the under-$200 category instead.

Not with what they charge for shipping!

Jul 7, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #21 of 33
I actually went to Little Dot's website to check pricing info. The Little Dot MK III is close to $240 USD shipped; the Mark IV is close to $340 USD shipped. If I was going spend $350 USD I would probably save up and wait for Shitt Valhalla. The Little Dot MK III is actually considered the "sweet spot" amp in Little Dot's  headphones amp line, FWIR it has great synergy with a wide variety of headphones from different manufacturers. Also another tube amplifier you might consider is the Fornier HTA-1 headphone amplier from linear designs it's made in the good ol' U.S. of A., it's sold on e-bay under headphone amplifiers and is under $200 USD shipped. It was reviewed not to long ago under full-size headphone amplifier forum-Search Fournier, it seems to be a very good value for the money and made with very good parts. Happy Listening.

Jul 7, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #23 of 33

Quote:
So, has anyone actually heard the Schiit Valhalla?

Just asking. Seems to be a lot of expectations for a product few, if any, have heard.

jk

No but the Schiit Asgard was said by many to be a good amp for the price. So they are assuming that the Schiit Valhalla will sound very good for a tube amp. I am actaully looking into buying one if they get good reviews.

Jul 7, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #24 of 33
Might as well hold off buying an amp until the Valhalla is evaluated.....it does look like a winner (in terms of design and cost).

I'm very interested in the Valhalla myself although I really should be saving $$$ for a balanced tube amp.

Peete.

Jul 8, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #25 of 33
I was considering the Valhalla until I found out they don't recommend tube rolling...  I don't know enough about amp circuit topology to know if they're on the level with that.  The replacement tubes they're selling seem cheap enough, so it doesn't look like they're trying to lock you in, but I'm new to tubes so I could be wrong.

Jul 8, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #26 of 33

Quote:
I also looking for a tube amp for my HD650s in the same price range.  I keep coming back to the LD MKIII and the Darkvoice 336.  Anyone have comparisons?

Reportedly, the HD650 synergize well with the DV336/i/SE.  Having no experience with the LD MKIII (mine arrived damaged in trans-pacific transit, so I never did actually get a chance to hear it), I cannot comment there.

But if you can scrounge up the dollars, and you plan to keep the HD650 for a good while, then the DV337/SE is the way to go, IMHE.  The HD650 never sounded better to me than the way they sounded while being driven, with uncontestable aplomb, by the 337.

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #27 of 33

Quote:
I was considering the Valhalla until I found out they don't recommend tube rolling...  I don't know enough about amp circuit topology to know if they're on the level with that.  The replacement tubes they're selling seem cheap enough, so it doesn't look like they're trying to lock you in, but I'm new to tubes so I could be wrong.

I'm always disappointed by this, and I think that manufacturers who use tube types that basically don't allow rolling are ignoring the market dynamics of tube amps, which is that tube amp buyers WANT to roll tubes.

Further, Russian tubes for me have been a mixed bag.  Some are excellent; others, not so much.

That said, given the price point, it seems worth the time to evaluate, and Schiit has agreed to send me a review loaner when this amp is in production.

Jul 8, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #28 of 33
That is a major disappointment to be stuck with one tube family. I am using the Matrix whuich stomps my Little Dot MK11 and now am contemplating a higher value tube amp with about 500.00 budgeted and not sure there is anything worth the money. The Little Dot Mk1V might be an alternative as I have all the tubes for it and it is more powerful than the 11 or 111 amp. I probably would be better to save up for the Decware and be done with it. I am most going to be using the amp with the T1

Jul 8, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #29 of 33

Quote:
I'm always disappointed by this, and I think that manufacturers who use tube types that basically don't allow rolling are ignoring the market dynamics of tube amps, which is that tube amp buyers WANT to roll tubes.

yep.  it's a question of trusting their ears or trusting our ears.

Jul 8, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #30 of 33
If you get the Little Dot MKIII you'll have money left for tubes.  Having a variety of tubes to match your sound preference with your headphones is really what tube amps are all about.  Plus the LD MKIII uses tubes that are relatively common and cheap which is a big plus IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back