Tube Amp and 600Ohm Beyer Help
May 18, 2011 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Connnorrr

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for advice on where to start with a tube amp for my DT990 600Ω. I've tried reading up and I suppose I just can't find exactly what I'm looking for information wise to make the decision on my own, so any help would be appreciated greatly.

Things I've read up on a bit and hope for some opinions:
WA3
WA6
Lyr
Little Dot ..?

Currently have the Fiio combo, I'm also looking at a DAC upgrade in the near future as well and had the D100 in mind. Budget is no higher then a new WA6, so if there is something I haven't found that would work better with my DT990's, I'd love to hear from you.

Anything I'm leaving out that would help me find what I'm looking for, just ask.

May 18, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi there, i'm the least qualified person here to give recommendations but after reading Skylab's review and the comments of others I went ahead and ordered a Decware CSP2+. 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/338147/review-decware-select-zen-csp2-tube-headphone-amp

After reading that thread I went ahead and placed an order. It seems that it has great synergy with 600 ohm beyer cans.

Best of luck on your decision.

May 19, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #3 of 5
For the DT990/600 you're beter of with the WA3, which is OTL. The WA6 is transformer based.
Check out skylabs tube amp rating for some good advise on tube amps like the ming da, the elekit or even the crack

There are so many DACs around, the Audio GD ones are pretty popular here on the boards, Havana,...

May 19, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #4 of 5
Alright thanks, would I be better off upgrading to a better SS amp?

Quote:
For the DT990/600 you're beter of with the WA3, which is OTL. The WA6 is transformer based.
Check out skylabs tube amp rating for some good advise on tube amps like the ming da, the elekit or even the crack

There are so many DACs around, the Audio GD ones are pretty popular here on the boards, Havana,...

May 19, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #5 of 5
That's a choice you have to make. Tubes have more character and romance, can be expensive but have the typical "tube sound". And SS is solid state, it has it's own advantages.
Both can sound great, so it's more what you want yourself. I like my tubes... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back