TTVJ Phono Stage Loaner Program
Jul 14, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #31 of 43
Initial impression:
Time is 9:30 pm, a Saturday.
The setting: Man walks up to his front door after spending all day building speakers at a buddy's house. (a pair of 1/2 Chang's from the frugal horn site)

"Package at the doorstep, must be my wife's." Man bends over peering closely. "Oh, it has my name on it and it’s from some dude in Florida"

With both hands full, man pushes the package inside the door with his foot. Man disappears.

Time is 10:00pm
Man has now cleaned up and is wearing pinstriped pajamas.
Man opens up the USPS “shoe box” and pulls out a white, unlabeled box. The unlabeled box is then opened, inside some blue bubble wrap and some small white boxes can be seen. One is face up. It is labeled “amperex.”

Man speaks to himself;
"Was this a present my wife bought me?
Did some random online seller send me a package by mistake?
Who is Mike?
and most importantly:
What's in the bubble wrap?"

The spool of bubble wrap is unraveled revealing a stock hammond silver case with two tube holes cut in it. Man flips it to see the faceplate. "TTVJ Hybrid Phono Preamp". Man laughs.

You see, I had seen Todd post some things for sale in his "cleaning out the closet thread" that had been resurrected. I emailed him, and after a couple of weeks I had received no response. I assumed that the item had sold, but I went back and posted in the thread anyhow. That’s when I saw the announcement for a loaner program. I'm always keen to listen to new gear, so I shot off an email. This time I got a response;

"Just let me know your information and I will get you put on the list! Thank you for contacting us about the loaner program. We look forward to working with you! Thanks again and have a great day!”

Brynn

My response read;

Brynn,

I'm not sure what other information you need?
My address is:

xxxx

I'll be connecting to a Sonographe SG-3 turntable with an AT 440MLa cartridge via both an Adcom 535 and a pair of Audiosector Gainclone Monoblocks. My speakers are Klipsch towers. If the loan is more than a month out, a set of BVR's using the Fostex 166 will be in place.

Also, my original message asked about the demo Blue Note Bellavista turntable. Is it still available?

Doug

That was April 17th. Since then I hadn’t heard anything. I also ashamed to admit that my BVR’s aren’t finished either. Funny thing how summer slips by like that. I just assumed that since I’m not really a rabid head-fier that I hadn’t made “the cut”. I also assumed that they’d be wanting a little more about me (like say, a CC numero), before they ship off $1k in gear to me.

But here was the package, and my turntable was in pieces on the dining room table. (This place sure seems to fall apart quick when the wife and the baby are gone for a few days.) I just installed a new Rega tonearm, but Rega, in their infinite generosity, didn’t include a hex wrench for their stock counterweight or any shims for their lowrider. I picked up some washers at Home Depot but didn’t remember the hex wrench. I’m not quite sure how the HD washers compare to the Rega branded washers, but I paid $2.40 for four. Compared to $15 each for the “brand-name” washers. But, I digress. Another trip to the hardware store and I’ll have it set up, balanced, and a cartridge mounted by this afternoon. Over the next couple of weeks (The loan is for two weeks, right?) I’ll be inviting a series of stereo geeks over for a listen. We’ll be comparing the TTVJ Phono Preamp to my Pass Pearl, a PSE Studio One, and whatever else happens to show up randomly on my doorstep.

-Doug

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #32 of 43
Nice story, Doug, now get to listening!

Enjoy.
smily_headphones1.gif

And p.s. to that guy in Florida: The cost of the loaner program is sending the package on the next person on the list AND posting listening impressions. Still waiting.

Jul 15, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #33 of 43
Well, everything did get set up Sunday afternoon. Some records were listened to and the cartridge was adjusted. I listened to quite a few records last night, trying to get acquainted with the new tonearm. The lows just seemed slightly more controlled, not quite the upgrade I had been hoping for. Anyhow…

I informed my coworkers that I'd be at home running "data analysis" today. Then I called up a friend of mine to play hooky… JD is a professional (read: employed) recording engineer, with a solid emphasis on software systems. However, I got him set up with a nice analog setup a couple of years ago that nicely compliments his computer driven station. We played records for about 2 ½ hours. First up were tracks 1 and 2 from the new Jack Johnson on the PSE. "Sleep through the static" is one of the best recordings of the year. We then threw on P3 by Portishead, and played "Magic Doors" and "Threads". The PSE had some obvious high end distortion on extended female shrieking. Not at all pleasant. Somewhere between ear splitting and "could you swab the blood out of me ear?"

We then fired up the TTVJHPP with the Sylvania's, and waited about 10 minutes for the tubes to warm up. Notably the ground jack and a volume pot was missing. I know it's a bit controversial, but I'm a pretty rabid reader of Arthur Salvatore. I follow his example, in that when I listen to records I don't want a phono preamp AND a linestage. It's a waste of extra interconnects, jacks, gain, and THEN a volume pot. I have one on my PSE, I have one on my Pass Pearl. If I want to listen to something else when I'm using the stand alone Pearl, I unplug my RCA's from the back of my amp, and plug something else in. My only other source is a Tuner, which also has it's own volume pot. [/rant]

We started with the same two Portishead tracks, or about 30 seconds of the first one. The sounds was pretty flat. The background was blacker, but it was completely monotone. JD pulled out the Mullards. "Let's put these in."

We waited another 10 minutes with the Mullards in… and the magic happened. P3 is a pretty lo fi album. Pure grit. The TTVJHPP smoothed out the vocals, while keeping the dirty feel. There was absolutely no high end distortion. It was purrdy. Jack Johnson went back on. What was beautiful warmth sounded overly tubey. The mid-bass had 'blossomed'. The sound was still magical, just a little too sweet.

In went Sabicas "The Rhythms of Spain" on Decca. The TTVJHPP (even the initials make the name too long) kept up with the maddening flamenco vs castanets in 'Taconco por Soleares.' The attack of the castanets was crystal clear, the fingers beating against the side wood echoed perfectly. I love this record, and the HPP handled it beautifully.

The last record of the afternoon was "A|Day|with|Art|Blakey|1961 Vol. 1" We listened front to back, smiling the whole time. The HPP did not disappoint, even when that random audience member starts trying to clap along at the beginning of moanin', but fails to even keep time. Thankfully someone hushes him and we're left with pure heaven.

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #39 of 43
Trying to fulfill my long-ago promise to compile my notes from the other TTVJ phono stage thread, so here goes. Final update at the end.
wink.gif

First entry:

I want to thank Todd again for this really fun opportunity. Once this loaner program kicks off, I highly recommend taking advantage and getting a listen. Or just buy the thing and have one all to yourself!

I have now spent a fair amount of time listening on both speakers and headphones and I continue to be very impressed. The price to performance ratio is incredible, especially given that I have now put the TTVJ up against the RSA XR-10B and found that the TTVJ truly held its own and actually sounded very similar. There are greater flexibility features on the XR-10B, the balanced output, and a slightly more detailed presentation, but the TTVJ was awfully close from a pure sound and musicality perspective. At 1/5th the price even with upgraded tubes I have been using so far, tube snob that I am
tongue.gif
, that is really saying something.

As to the noise floor issue I mentioned before, I have never had a truly silent TT rig. The gain needed to get those tiny signals amplified creates some amount of hum without a signal playing, but I have never been too concerned. I don't hear it when music is playing, and it is not so distracting in between as to be a problem for me. Interestingly, when I was switching back and forth with the solid state XR-10B I noticed that the noise floor was not much different than the TTVJ unless I turned the gain to the lowest setting on the RSA and then it was noticeably lower. It is nice to have the ability to drop the gain and lower the noise floor, but that change can come at the cost of authority and dynamics being diminished depending on your cartridge. In the end, the TTVJ is completely satisfactory from this perspective and really did not exhibit more than the slight hum -- more noticeable on headphones, of course -- that I get on my system as it is with the XR-10B.

The first tubes I was using were the Amperex, which are a $250 upgrade if purchased from Todd. They give a beautiful, warm but detailed sound. The words that come to mind while listening to the TTVJ with these tubes are sweet and round. The sound is natural and fluid, and the details inside the music come through very nicely. I have listened to jazz, blues, vocals, and rock, and all have been portrayed beautifully with the TTVJ in place. I was listening to Lightning Hopkins from the Fantasy 45 series and the presentation was incredibly real. In fact, my wife came back from running an errand and walked into the living room saying she thought it sounded like somebody was at the house playing guitar and singing. Now, I didn't think The Who, Wilco or Final Fantasy were in the living room with me, but Endless Wire, Sky Blue Sky and He Poos Clouds all sounded great.

I switched to the Mullards, which are a $240 upgrade from Todd, and he had told me that they are a little smoother or warmer when we were discussing the options. The first time we spoke, he was certain that the Amperex were his favorite, but the second time, he wasn't so sure any more because he was impressed with the Mullards. For me, I think the Mullards win the day. They are smoother, and might roll off a little tiny bit of detail at the top to get that feeling but man is it a beautiful sound. They don't sound mushy at all, but the sweet tone is kicked up a notch while the details still shine through. I was listening to Endless Wire when I made the switch and Roger Daltry's vocals on Man in a Purple Dress were even more touching and weighty and real. I loved it. Then, I put on a favorite jazz album, The LA 4's Just Friends and really went to town. I love Ray Brown's bass (in general) and the way it plays off Laurindo Almeida's guitar, and the sound was gorgeous with the TTVJ. The percussion details and nice alto sax tone were just right too, and I listened to that album all the way through with minimal back and forth with the XR-10B.

I pretty much decided that I will have to buy the TTVJ to replace my Antique Sound Labs Phono LUX even though I have yet to compare them head-to-head. The ASL has moving magnet duty on my wife's nice Dual 505 and I will definitely compare them this next week, but I don't think there is any doubt as to which will prevail. This is a fine product and Todd and Pete Millet ought to be proud of the TTVJ line.

Here are some pics to tease the senses some more:

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

OK, and some gratuitous TT shots too!

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

Happy listening, and keep analog alive people!

Second Entry:

Listening with the stock tubes, which are branded Sylvania even though Todd says they are JJ tubes. Now that I have listened to the stock model tubes and both upgrade tubes Todd is offering, I have to say they are 3 for 3 on sound. The unit is very quiet and sounds excellent in its fully stock mode. Very impressed.

I still think that the Mullard is going to be my favorite, but I need to swap them back in to try that out. In any case, if these are the stock tubes then it is a definite option to start out with the stock. No major hits on the sound, but I think the Amperex has a more detailed presentation and the Mullard has both details and a warmth/musicality I find enticing.

Last night I played a couple Fantasy 45 RPM series jazz albums and loved every minute. I got in two sides of Vince Guaraldi Trio's Impressions of a Black Orpheus and two sides of Gene Ammons Blue Gene. The Guaraldi is really quite fast and dynamic at times and the piano just popped last night even though it was late and I was playing pretty low volume. I should have tried out the headphone option, but I was enjoying it just the way it was. The Ammons had a great presence and body, and the bluesy sax was a killer match. I will definitely come back to this one with the Mullards.

Tonight, we put on Bob Dylan Modern Times and we listened to all 4 sides consecutively. It sounded wonderful, and certainly the way Dylan is supposed to sound. His voice just seems better on vinyl.
biggrin.gif
I had this record on CD and and it isn't quite the same. I might want to hear this one again with the Amperex tubes because of the clarity and speed to see how they compare.

Right now, I switched to John Coltrane The Last Trane on Prestige. Great album that sounds wonderful from the TTVJ. Coltrane's tenor sounds sweet and fast, and the ride cymbal just shimmers nicely. The bass notes are so clean and distinct. Man, this sounds good.

More to come, I'm sure, but I am happy to report that stock or upgraded the TTVJ Phono Pre is a winner!
cool.gif

Third Entry:

Today I received an upgraded version of the TTVJ Phono Preamp, which is the version that will ship to all purchasers. Todd and designer Pete Millett came up with a few improvements that they have implemented to great effect. I do not know the details of internal changes, although the most obvious is that the power supply is different. The new one is an in-line brick type that I understand is more expensive for TTVJ to buy but if this is part of what changed the phono stage performance then it is well worth it!

I have listened all night to some extraordinary vinyl from Music Matters Jazz, which is putting out 45 RPM Steve Hoffman remasters of classic Blue Note titles. I also received the latest two titles, Horace Parlan's Us Three and Hank Mobley's Soul Station. I also listened to a plain old 180g 33 RPM record by Tift Merritt called Tambourine.

It's late and I did not yet have time to compare the old version to the new one, but there is no question in my mind that the new one is quite a bit quieter -- to the point that it could not be much quieter, actually. The sound quality is really excellent and even though the vinyl I was spinning mostly, the Blue Notes, is extraordinary I am convinced that the new version of the phono pre is a nice little improvement over the already great performer of the original model.

I will do some more comparing with my loaner time and will write up a more cohesive review taking my old notes in the other thread and new listening notes from the new model. Then, I will sadly let it go on to the next lucky soul, derekbm, next week. I am even more convinced, however, that I will be buying one of these beauties very shortly. This is a great piece of gear in absolute terms, but it is surely one of the greatest bargains around from a price to performance standpoint.

Nice work Todd and Pete!

Final Entry:

Finally decided to sell my XR-10B and an Antique Sounds Labs unit and buy the TTVJ with some Amperex tubes. Looking forward to hearing this one again!

Jan 14, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #40 of 43
am I too late for this? Ive just got back into listening to my vinyl again now that I have everything all set up and organized from moving. I'd really love to give this a shot, I sent Todd an email but haven't got anything back

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #41 of 43
doe's anyone know who has this? I got an email back from Todd a couple weeks ago, saying he put me on the list. Just wondering how long that list may be.

Feb 3, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #42 of 43
Hi All,

The phono stage is making its way around. Please remember to WRITE a review when you get it.

If anyone is really hot to listen and buy one you can order one and have my 30 day money back guarantee... if it isn't your cup o tea just send it back and we will refund you.

Todd

Dec 15, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #43 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trying to fulfill my long-ago promise to compile my notes from the other TTVJ phono stage thread, so here goes. Final update at the end.
wink.gif

First entry:

I want to thank Todd again for this really fun opportunity. Once this loaner program kicks off, I highly recommend taking advantage and getting a listen. Or just buy the thing and have one all to yourself!

I have now spent a fair amount of time listening on both speakers and headphones and I continue to be very impressed. The price to performance ratio is incredible, especially given that I have now put the TTVJ up against the RSA XR-10B and found that the TTVJ truly held its own and actually sounded very similar. There are greater flexibility features on the XR-10B, the balanced output, and a slightly more detailed presentation, but the TTVJ was awfully close from a pure sound and musicality perspective. At 1/5th the price even with upgraded tubes I have been using so far, tube snob that I am
tongue.gif
, that is really saying something.

As to the noise floor issue I mentioned before, I have never had a truly silent TT rig. The gain needed to get those tiny signals amplified creates some amount of hum without a signal playing, but I have never been too concerned. I don't hear it when music is playing, and it is not so distracting in between as to be a problem for me. Interestingly, when I was switching back and forth with the solid state XR-10B I noticed that the noise floor was not much different than the TTVJ unless I turned the gain to the lowest setting on the RSA and then it was noticeably lower. It is nice to have the ability to drop the gain and lower the noise floor, but that change can come at the cost of authority and dynamics being diminished depending on your cartridge. In the end, the TTVJ is completely satisfactory from this perspective and really did not exhibit more than the slight hum -- more noticeable on headphones, of course -- that I get on my system as it is with the XR-10B.

The first tubes I was using were the Amperex, which are a $250 upgrade if purchased from Todd. They give a beautiful, warm but detailed sound. The words that come to mind while listening to the TTVJ with these tubes are sweet and round. The sound is natural and fluid, and the details inside the music come through very nicely. I have listened to jazz, blues, vocals, and rock, and all have been portrayed beautifully with the TTVJ in place. I was listening to Lightning Hopkins from the Fantasy 45 series and the presentation was incredibly real. In fact, my wife came back from running an errand and walked into the living room saying she thought it sounded like somebody was at the house playing guitar and singing. Now, I didn't think The Who, Wilco or Final Fantasy were in the living room with me, but Endless Wire, Sky Blue Sky and He Poos Clouds all sounded great.

I switched to the Mullards, which are a $240 upgrade from Todd, and he had told me that they are a little smoother or warmer when we were discussing the options. The first time we spoke, he was certain that the Amperex were his favorite, but the second time, he wasn't so sure any more because he was impressed with the Mullards. For me, I think the Mullards win the day. They are smoother, and might roll off a little tiny bit of detail at the top to get that feeling but man is it a beautiful sound. They don't sound mushy at all, but the sweet tone is kicked up a notch while the details still shine through. I was listening to Endless Wire when I made the switch and Roger Daltry's vocals on Man in a Purple Dress were even more touching and weighty and real. I loved it. Then, I put on a favorite jazz album, The LA 4's Just Friends and really went to town. I love Ray Brown's bass (in general) and the way it plays off Laurindo Almeida's guitar, and the sound was gorgeous with the TTVJ. The percussion details and nice alto sax tone were just right too, and I listened to that album all the way through with minimal back and forth with the XR-10B.

I pretty much decided that I will have to buy the TTVJ to replace my Antique Sound Labs Phono LUX even though I have yet to compare them head-to-head. The ASL has moving magnet duty on my wife's nice Dual 505 and I will definitely compare them this next week, but I don't think there is any doubt as to which will prevail. This is a fine product and Todd and Pete Millet ought to be proud of the TTVJ line.

Here are some pics to tease the senses some more:

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

OK, and some gratuitous TT shots too!

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

Happy listening, and keep analog alive people!

Second Entry:

Listening with the stock tubes, which are branded Sylvania even though Todd says they are JJ tubes. Now that I have listened to the stock model tubes and both upgrade tubes Todd is offering, I have to say they are 3 for 3 on sound. The unit is very quiet and sounds excellent in its fully stock mode. Very impressed.

I still think that the Mullard is going to be my favorite, but I need to swap them back in to try that out. In any case, if these are the stock tubes then it is a definite option to start out with the stock. No major hits on the sound, but I think the Amperex has a more detailed presentation and the Mullard has both details and a warmth/musicality I find enticing.

Last night I played a couple Fantasy 45 RPM series jazz albums and loved every minute. I got in two sides of Vince Guaraldi Trio's Impressions of a Black Orpheus and two sides of Gene Ammons Blue Gene. The Guaraldi is really quite fast and dynamic at times and the piano just popped last night even though it was late and I was playing pretty low volume. I should have tried out the headphone option, but I was enjoying it just the way it was. The Ammons had a great presence and body, and the bluesy sax was a killer match. I will definitely come back to this one with the Mullards.

Tonight, we put on Bob Dylan Modern Times and we listened to all 4 sides consecutively. It sounded wonderful, and certainly the way Dylan is supposed to sound. His voice just seems better on vinyl.
biggrin.gif
I had this record on CD and and it isn't quite the same. I might want to hear this one again with the Amperex tubes because of the clarity and speed to see how they compare.

Right now, I switched to John Coltrane The Last Trane on Prestige. Great album that sounds wonderful from the TTVJ. Coltrane's tenor sounds sweet and fast, and the ride cymbal just shimmers nicely. The bass notes are so clean and distinct. Man, this sounds good.

More to come, I'm sure, but I am happy to report that stock or upgraded the TTVJ Phono Pre is a winner!
cool.gif

Third Entry:

Today I received an upgraded version of the TTVJ Phono Preamp, which is the version that will ship to all purchasers. Todd and designer Pete Millett came up with a few improvements that they have implemented to great effect. I do not know the details of internal changes, although the most obvious is that the power supply is different. The new one is an in-line brick type that I understand is more expensive for TTVJ to buy but if this is part of what changed the phono stage performance then it is well worth it!

I have listened all night to some extraordinary vinyl from Music Matters Jazz, which is putting out 45 RPM Steve Hoffman remasters of classic Blue Note titles. I also received the latest two titles, Horace Parlan's Us Three and Hank Mobley's Soul Station. I also listened to a plain old 180g 33 RPM record by Tift Merritt called Tambourine.

It's late and I did not yet have time to compare the old version to the new one, but there is no question in my mind that the new one is quite a bit quieter -- to the point that it could not be much quieter, actually. The sound quality is really excellent and even though the vinyl I was spinning mostly, the Blue Notes, is extraordinary I am convinced that the new version of the phono pre is a nice little improvement over the already great performer of the original model.

I will do some more comparing with my loaner time and will write up a more cohesive review taking my old notes in the other thread and new listening notes from the new model. Then, I will sadly let it go on to the next lucky soul, derekbm, next week. I am even more convinced, however, that I will be buying one of these beauties very shortly. This is a great piece of gear in absolute terms, but it is surely one of the greatest bargains around from a price to performance standpoint.

Nice work Todd and Pete!

Final Entry:

Finally decided to sell my XR-10B and an Antique Sounds Labs unit and buy the TTVJ with some Amperex tubes. Looking forward to hearing this one again!

awhhh, i wish i could bring my vinyl over, i am jealous

Users who are viewing this thread

Back