TTVJ Phono Stage Loaner Program
Mar 19, 2008 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Todd

Headphone Vinyl Meister
Member of the Trade: TTVJ Audio
Hi All,

Here is the loaner program that I have been promising for a few weeks now. It has actually kicked off already with Voltron getting first crack at it.

So here is the deal. In order to spend 2 weeks with the phono stage, you must write a review of it here in this thread - done during or shortly after your use of the TTVJ phono stage, have at least a good turntable, cartridge and system to plug it into, and love vinyl. When your 2 weeks is up, you must then repack it and send it to the next person. We will supply that information when it is time to ship...

I have included 3 sets of tubes - JJ's , Mullards and Amperex. These are not inexpensive and I would expect care to be taken when using and shipping the unit.

But most of all I expect you to have fun and enjoy it!!! So you can start signing up now by emailing me at todd@ttvj.com with your name, address, phone number and head-fi name.

We will get Voltron to ship it out to the first recipient in a week to 10 days - at his convenience.

Heve FUN!!!

Todd

Mar 19, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 43
E-mail just sent.
cool.gif

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #4 of 43
This is a generous program, Todd, and we are lucky to have you as a member of our community. I will be sad to let this beauty go, but it is very likely that I will be buying one shortly. The ASL phono is going on the FS blocks very soon!
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a generous program, Todd, and we are lucky to have you as a member of our community. I will be sad to let this beauty go, but it is very likely that I will be buying one shortly. The ASL phono is going on the FS blocks very soon!
wink.gif

I had the opportunity to hear this phono pre in Al's vinyl rig and I was pleasantly surprised with the results. It performs far above its price point as should be a consideration when looking for a phono pre. I am not sure yo could get a unit at this price that would outperform the TTVJ phono pre.

Apr 17, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #6 of 43
Today I received an upgraded version of the TTVJ Phono Preamp, which is the version that will ship to all purchasers. Todd and designer Pete Millett came up with a few improvements that they have implemented to great effect. I do not know the details of internal changes, although the most obvious is that the power supply is different. The new one is an in-line brick type that I understand is more expensive for TTVJ to buy but if this is part of what changed the phono stage performance then it is well worth it!

I have listened all night to some extraordinary vinyl from Music Matters Jazz, which is putting out 45 RPM Steve Hoffman remasters of classic Blue Note titles. I also received the latest two titles, Horace Parlan's Us Three and Hank Mobley's Soul Station. I also listened to a plain old 180g 33 RPM record by Tift Merritt called Tambourine.

It's late and I did not yet have time to compare the old version to the new one, but there is no question in my mind that the new one is quite a bit quieter -- to the point that it could not be much quieter, actually. The sound quality is really excellent and even though the vinyl I was spinning mostly, the Blue Notes, is extraordinary I am convinced that the new version of the phono pre is a nice little improvement over the already great performer of the original model.

I will do some more comparing with my loaner time and will write up a more cohesive review taking my old notes in the other thread and new listening notes from the new model. Then, I will sadly let it go on to the next lucky soul, derekbm, next week. I am even more convinced, however, that I will be buying one of these beauties very shortly. This is a great piece of gear in absolute terms, but it is surely one of the greatest bargains around from a price to performance standpoint.

Nice work Todd and Pete! Looking forward to buying you each a beer or two at CanJam very shortly!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #7 of 43
gz76,

The phono stage is on its way to my friend in Australia. Once he has had his time with it he will be sending it to you. I hope you have fun with it and i look forward to your review!

Thanks Voltron for giving the phono stage a second audition. We made a few minor changes that made a significant sonic improvement. The biggest may have been going to a new power supply. I was very pleased with the way it sounded in my high end system and think that anyone giving it a try will find it to be a worthy consideration for their system.

I will be setting up a headphone listening setup featuring a Scout, the TTVJ Phono Stage and assorted headphone amps/headphones at the Florida meet - CANJAM! So all of you heading for CanJam will also get a shot at listening to our phono stage.

Todd

Apr 27, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #8 of 43
The fabulous TTVJ phono loaner is on its way to derekbmn for his time to enjoy its goodness. I will be consolidating my impressions and posting up something a little more cogent as soon as I can. Suffice to say, once again, that I am buying one of these very shortly. Truly a fine piece but incredible for the price.

Thanks again Todd and see you Thursday at CanJam!

Apr 28, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 43
hey Todd,

i sent you an email a few days ago. i would really like to hear this thing as i am seriously looking to purchase a phono stage and have been auditioning a few in my vinyl rig before i make my decision. can i participate?

Apr 30, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #12 of 43
Alrighty then.....Some quick first impressions-Out of the box and with the Amperex rolled in-

First up- Jethro Tull -Songs From The Wood.(original Chrysalis pressing) I love it and it has ALOT going on in those grooves.

Instrument seperation is superb. Everything is staying in tight focus.
Nice detailed, yet smooth midrange.
Drums sound VERY good. Alot of impact.
The sound seems (for lack of a better word) Larger than life.....I Like that.
biggrin.gif

Thats all I have for now but will post more after I have some more time to listen. (around Thurs)

Setup currently using at the moment to review this.
Modded AR ES-1-running an AT440mla-Wireworld Polaris 5 ICs-TTVJ/Millet Phono stage -SP MPX3 Slam-Cardas cabled/defoamed Senn 650s.

Obviously using the MM inputs on the phono stage.

(Off topic ... The 440Mla was originally going to be a temporary cart on this table but it has worked so good on this table/arm combo it has stayed. It is without a doubt a killer cart for the money but is very picky in regards to setup.)

May 4, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #15 of 43
Fit and Finish-
First impression as I was unpacking it and finally holding it in my hand was... This thing is 850 dollars !!....It had better sound good.
Just a quick thought really ,and I am a function before formality kind of guy anyway. In all seriousness the brushed finish is very well done.

The common trend these days when it comes to Phono Stages is small and unobtrusive and this is exactly what the TTVJ/Millet is. It takes up very little space at all. It could be tucked away if need be as long as some ventilation is allowed.

The LED on the front is VERY bright, and may be bothersome to some if it happens to sit directly on axis with you and at eye level. If it sits off axis from you it is not a problem at all. This was my case as it is sitting on an equipment rack off to my right and below eye level. Not a big deal really.

The front toggle switch would be a worry for me on the long term, as it seems a bit dainty. I personally wouldn't mind seeing a small rocker switch instead. Again not really that big of deal though.

Build Quality-
Peering inside the case through the "tube holes" the internal build quality looks absolutely first rate. It appears to have a very clean layout on the board. It looks fairly simple and that can be a good thing when it come to phono stages. (The low parts count ,short signal path deal reigns supreme IMO when dealing with the tiny signals from a phono cartridge)

The porcelain tube sockets are very nice!

My biggest complaint would be a lack of a ground lug on the unit. Yes in this day and age with many modern TTs you can get away running a groundless setup, BUT there are ALOT of vintage table out in this world and you NEED a ground lug on the phono stage for them.
I have added a ground wire by simply attaching one to a case screw and have installed a alligator clip at the end so the next reviewer can simply clip it on the existing lug on his personal phono stage. It is simple and works perfectly.

Overall though the unit is built well and this leads to the most important part....

The Sound-
I'm finding it hard to come up with anything to fault here. Seriously.....
Ok ...In comparison to my Consonance PM-1 the noise floor is ever so slightly higher.
But when it comes to utter sound quality It is VERY very good. With NO problem areas that stick out.

The first thing I noticed is the extremely transparent midrange. It is sooo smooth and yet lays out everything bare. Small vocal details are brought out. The lip smacks, lip licks and short breathes are brought forward. I really tend to get drawn into the music when small details are laid out like that. (infact as i'm typing this I keep finding myself "spacing off " so to speak and not typing.
biggrin.gif

This thing is a PRAT monster. The music just keeps grooving and coming at you with drive and authority.
Bass guitar is particularly articulate sounding and easy to follow. I find that very often it gets lost in the mix. Something I think that has a big influence on the "PRAT" of a component is this very problem or lack of it. Donald Fagens "The Nightfly "sounds simply awesome through this.

The highs are detailed and yet unobtrusive. No fatigue here at all. Cymbals sound correct and not splashy. High hats are distinct and not sizzly sounding.(something that can bug the heck out of me)
Just very non obtrusive and in the correct amount....Nice !!

Drums in particular sound magnificent. Very impactful and quick sounding.
Very "percussive"
rolleyes.gif
(sorry I had too)
Everything drum wise stays seperate and coherent as it should. It never lags or gets behind.

The soundstage is very wide with decent depth. Instrument seperation is a definate strong point of this little beast. EVERYTHING is locked in place and kept seperate from one another.(it's own space) It make listening easy and enjoyable.

At this point I have only rolled in the Amperex tubes ,but will try the JJ's and the Mullards later this week. I am generally a BIG fan of amperex tubes and that is why I chose to use those first. Nothing more ,nothing less.

A list of some of the albums used at this point-
Tracy Chapman-self titled
Jethro Tull -Songs From the Wood
Steely Dan-Aja
-Gaucho
Donald Fagen-The NightFly
Yes-90125
Supertramp-Crime of The Century
-Even In The Quitest Moments...
-Famous Last Words
Chicago-17
Plus a few others.

Will spin some Floyd and some Joni Mitchell later today.

Will keep updating as I get a chance to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back