Trying to escape the Chi-Fi trap of cheap IEM's
Mar 1, 2024 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Abbeyrd1969

New Head-Fier
I am having issues with any cable staying connected to my Simgot EA500LM IEM's. Linsoul is making me jump through hoops to prove the problem exists. Video evidence. I have spent way to much time catering to their demands. All of this for a $90 IEM! It will push me over the edge if they just send me a replacement pair with no other compensation for my time. Are all Chi-F- companies like this? It is obvious QA/QC is lacking with Chi-Fi products. I usually just throw the cheap IEM's away when they break after a couple of month's use. And mind me, I treat all of my audio gear with the utmost care. They should look brand new after years of use is my policy. Are there other brands out there that offer affordable good sounding IEM's from countries other than China? I do own a set from Meze and Campfire Audio, but they are TOTL in my book and I really don't have the funds to build a collection around the $600+ range. I am always open to new sound signatures, though I do enjoy some solid bass. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!!!

Mar 1, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 18
Have you tried reaching out to Simgot directly? Easiest might be through their AliExpress store. Though I agree, Linsoul should resolve this, especially with video proof.

Mar 1, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 18
I am having issues with any cable staying connected to my Simgot EA500LM IEM's. Linsoul is making me jump through hoops to prove the problem exists. Video evidence. I have spent way to much time catering to their demands. All of this for a $90 IEM! It will push me over the edge if they just send me a replacement pair with no other compensation for my time. Are all Chi-F- companies like this? It is obvious QA/QC is lacking with Chi-Fi products. I usually just throw the cheap IEM's away when they break after a couple of month's use. And mind me, I treat all of my audio gear with the utmost care. They should look brand new after years of use is my policy. Are there other brands out there that offer affordable good sounding IEM's from countries other than China? I do own a set from Meze and Campfire Audio, but they are TOTL in my book and I really don't have the funds to build a collection around the $600+ range. I am always open to new sound signatures, though I do enjoy some solid bass. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!!!
Every brand has lemon, including the big ones. I haven’t experienced any broken IEM ever in my hobby years, so can’t say much.

Maybe focus on audio boutiques that hand make their IEMs for your next purchase? Maybe they would have better QC than factory made. Have a look at AuR audio (@Leonarfd is the experienced one to talk to), 7th acoustics, and maybe the new brand Alpha Omega (@nihalsharma is your man). Symphonium & Nightjars (@Chang) IEMs are also reliable with rock solid metal build. I have a soft spot for AFUL, but they are purely Chi-Fi, which might not match your expectations.

Mar 1, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #4 of 18
Japan puts out some good ones, Acoustune, Audio Technica, Final, Sony, Oriolus, Hyla, etc.

Hard to compete with the price to performance from China though.

Mar 1, 2024 at 10:01 PM Post #5 of 18
There's no option for price performance on IEMs where you won't get a dud cable sometimes. I have the regular and just got the LM version of those. For $15 on AliExpress you can get a multi kit cable or like was mentioned contact Simgot direct and send them purchase info to see if they'll help.

Mar 1, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 18
There's no option for price performance on IEMs where you won't get a dud cable sometimes. I have the regular and just got the LM version of those. For $15 on AliExpress you can get a multi kit cable or like was mentioned contact Simgot direct and send them purchase info to see if they'll help.
I like the idea of going straight to Simgot since I have the invoice as well as the video of the problem. They may be more inclined to help me more than going through a supplier. Thanks.

Mar 1, 2024 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 18
Every brand has lemon, including the big ones. I haven’t experienced any broken IEM ever in my hobby years, so can’t say much.

Maybe focus on audio boutiques that hand make their IEMs for your next purchase? Maybe they would have better QC than factory made. Have a look at AuR audio (@Leonarfd is the experienced one to talk to), 7th acoustics, and maybe the new brand Alpha Omega (@nihalsharma is your man). Symphonium & Nightjars (@Chang) IEMs are also reliable with rock solid metal build. I have a soft spot for AFUL, but they are purely Chi-Fi, which might not match your expectations.
I do love my Aful P8!

Mar 1, 2024 at 11:03 PM Post #8 of 18
Japan puts out some good ones, Acoustune, Audio Technica, Final, Sony, Oriolus, Hyla, etc.

Hard to compete with the price to performance from China though.
I am a Sony man. I would love a set of m7 or m9's. I have had bad luck with Sony IEM's in the past though. Same with Shure. You can just look at the plastic casing wrong and it will break. My sunscreen completely delaminated the glue holding the two pieces of my SE425's together. They have been replaced 3 times. I wouldn't pay for the fourth repair...

Mar 1, 2024 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 18
Tansio Mirai X (10th Anniv.) -- excellent bass and Treble response. High quality as well. $400

Mar 2, 2024 at 12:42 AM Post #10 of 18
your experience with this iem sucks but chifi isn't the red scare of audio that you make it out to be. let's go bash some apples.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 2:48 AM Post #11 of 18
your lived experience with this iem sucks but chifi isn't the red scare of audio that you make it out to be. let's go bash some apples.
I agree. I have plenty of chi-fi in my collection. I am running about 75% rate where I have zero problems with iem's ordered. That is not great qa/qc. most problems I have just learned to live with. This is only the second set that I have been unable to make work. The other set were Fiio FH5s Pro and they sent me a new set in 2 days. Never even asked to send the broken ones back. They were significantly more than the Simgot's. $90 is to much for me to just throw them in the trash. Tempting as it is right now!

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:54 AM Post #12 of 18
Pick a 2 pin cable that you want to commit to the Simgot.

Get a pair of average size pliers with smooth faces.

Squeeze each pin in the pliers to deform them just a little bit out of round. Do it incrementally a bit at a time so you don’t overdo it. With a little care and 5 minutes you can make the cable a snug fit.

Note, you are not squeezing the pins together bending them and making the tips closer together. You are squeezing each pin individually along its full length to reduce its diameter/width in one direction and increasing it on the 90 degree opposite direction.

Should not have to ? Of course but when it is a cheap IEM who cares ?

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #13 of 18

Squeeze each pin in the pliers to deform them just a little bit out of round. Do it incrementally a bit at a time so you don’t overdo it. With a little care and 5 minutes you can make the cable a snug fit.

Note, you are not squeezing the pins together bending them and making the tips closer together. You are squeezing each pin individually along its full length to reduce its diameter/width in one direction and increasing it on the 90 degree opposite direction.

Thank you for the advice. I never considered the actual diameter of the pins or their shape. I did however carefully widen and narrow the distance between the pins without damaging them, to no avail... I will take the single ended cable that came with the IEM's and work on that. I went ahead and ordered the Simgot LC-7 cable so I would have the option of a balanced output with the 4.4mm attached connector. Now that is a cable. The thing is huge, stiff, and ungainly. I figure it to go on the Simgot EA1000 Fermat when I get around to ordering it. There are very few sets on my wish list that are not Chi-Fi. Final A5000, CA Holocene, Meze Rai Penta, 64 U4s, and Sony M9. The last three being my TOTL. All of my source equipment is ifi, with the XDSD Gryphon used most often. My Sony ES receiver actually has a very nice sounding HP output with the Texas Instrument DAC. As you can tell, I like a warm sound signature. I can usually fine tune my sound without EQ by changing settings on the DAC and because I do love me some tip rolling.,.

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #14 of 18

Once again, THANK YOU!! I almost had to compress the pins flat, but it worked! Still a little loose on the left one, but is holding. This really is a great sounding set for a single DD! Imaging and separation is top notch! If they end up sending me a replacement, I would be happy to send them on to you. If you don't already have a set of the LM's. Happily listening along.,.

Mar 2, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #15 of 18
Once again, THANK YOU!! I almost had to compress the pins flat, but it worked! Still a little loose on the left one, but is holding. This really is a great sounding set for a single DD! Imaging and separation is top notch! If they end up sending me a replacement, I would be happy to send them on to you. If you don't already have a set of the LM's. Happily listening along.,.

Glad it worked out well for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back