trying to decide between Itouch2g and Sony 16gb players
May 9, 2009 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

350Rocket

Head-Fier
Hi, hope you guys can give me some advise on which player I should get. I recently left my Sony 2gb NWA something or other on the dash of my friends car that was for sale at a big car show here and it got stolen. It sucks cause other than the small capacity I loved it. Anyways yesterday my employer gave me a $200 gift certificate to Future Shop so looks like I will be able to replace it.

I'd like to step up to a 16gb cause I want to keep this thing a long time and not want to upgrade. (I also have a 1995 model Panasonic SL-S160 that I still use sometimes).

I listen to mostly classic rock, heavier rock, alternative and some metal. I have a set of Koss Porta Pro's that I use at home, but most of the time I'll be using this hooked up to my car stereo (a component system in the summer car) and factory tape deck and speakers with cassette adaptor in an 89 Chevy Caprice for the winter.

I'm somewhat picky about sound but not so much as most of you guys on here, so from what I've read it sounds like I'd be happy with either the ITouch or any Sony. I have an LG Shine phone with a 4gb card that I've been using since the Sony disappeared, but the sound quality is really terrible and battery life sucks on it. Also it takes forever to load the music player. I'm really drooling over the looks of the ITouch, and the fact that it's big enough I shouldn't lose it.

The Sony doesn't worry me about reliability based on the feel of my old one, other people's experience and the fact that it doesn't have the fancy touch screen. The ITouch is already quite a bit more money than one of the Sony's I was looking at and I'd be worried about it breaking long term. I can't afford an extended warranty if I get the ITouch. I've really been leaning towards the Sony's up until recently, since I think they seem like better value and probably more durable. Now the looks and features of the ITouch are starting to get me all excited so I don't know what to do.

Maybe some people can try and convince me one way or the other. If I get the ITouch it will also replace my crappy alarm clock and would be nice as a calendar among other things possibly. I don't know all of the features of it yet. The Sony was basically just a music player and that's it. Thanks in advance.

May 9, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 17
Wait.

Apple has - reportedly - four new toys to be announced the first week of June. Rumor is there will be two iPhones, a new Touch and a Tablet.

A new iPhone is coming, for sure, so that means that there will be a new Touch for sure. Hold off and see what it is. You might kick yourself for buying one now.

And if you're not overwhelmed by the new Touch, then you'll probably be able to buy the current model at a discount.

So wait.

May 9, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait.

Apple has - reportedly - four new toys to be announced the first week of June. Rumor is there will be two iPhones, a new Touch and a Tablet.

A new iPhone is coming, for sure, so that means that there will be a new Touch for sure. Hold off and see what it is. You might kick yourself for buying one now.

And if you're not overwhelmed by the new Touch, then you'll probably be able to buy the current model at a discount.

So wait.

That is the best advice to follow. If you chose not to follow it though, then iPod Touch, hands down. You won't be disappointed. Although it is very common and mainstream, it doesn't change the fact that the innovation and quality is masterful and sheer brilliance. Not only will the music sound great, but the battery life last you a long time, and it will serve as your PDA. Also with the iTunes App store, the functionality is limitless. The only foreseeable problem, you may find the iPod touch is a gateway drug to the iPhone.

May 9, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 17
I considered the IPhone, my gf wants a new phone and I could give her my LG Shine, but the lowest plan on the Iphone is still way more than I want to spend. If I get could get pay as you go on the IPhone I would consider it, but then I imagine it would be much more pricey than the touch. Price is almost the same when you sign up for a 3yr contract.

As far as the touch vs Sony and others, I don't care about the games at all, but a lot of other apps would be useful such as calendar, alarm, notes, etc. The one question I have is to do with the wireless. It says fees may apply, but doesn't give any details. Does apple charge you to use this service, or would it just be fees for the wireless network you access?

I don't know anything about this.

May 10, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #6 of 17
You can access any open wifi network. Some places charge you to use your wifi. No worries.

May 10, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #7 of 17
@350Rocket
I'm not sure if you're referring to the iPhone or the Touch.
If it's wifi then the only fees that may apply are fees for the wireless network, if it's edge/3g/gprs then data charges applies.

iPhone : 3G + Wifi
Touch : Wifi only

May 10, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #8 of 17
I'm pretty well clear on everything now, thanks guys. I'm fairly certain I'm going to get the Touch 2G, but I'm going to wait and see if the prices go down in June.

May 10, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait.

So wait.

Discount coming is possible if there will be an iPod touch capacity bump (64gb). Then the 32gb might have a slight decrease in pricing while the 64gb will be the pricey one. On iPod's past practices though, I'll be surprised if there will be a 3g touch this June, although there's still a small possibility. Apple has always introduced new generations for the touch and click-wheel pods every September/fall season. A capacity bump of the 2g touch, on the other hand, is a more liable possibility if the iPhone third generation will get a 32gb bump.

May 10, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #10 of 17
I talked to my neighbor who is a hardcore gamer and works at Best Buy, he has a 32gb touch. He said they're definitely coming out with a new Iphone but he doesn't think there's a new Touch coming.

May 10, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #11 of 17
That's right. But don't give up the wait yet. If the touch capacity bump will happen, the 32gb touch will get a price decrease. This will all be dependent on how much capacity the third generation iPhone will be given. If it'll still be 16gb, then we won't see a 64gb touch capacity increase. Then the 32gb touch will remain at its current price.

May 11, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #12 of 17
Without going into a ton of pros and cons, here's a quick take. For SQ alone from the hp out, the Sony dap's win. For all the extras, plus video, the Touch is king. And, w/an LOD, the SQ is fantastic.

Jul 4, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #13 of 17
FWIW, I bought the Touch2G 8 gb almost a month ago now, and am completely satisfied with it so far. It doesn't sound noticeably worse than the Sony I had. It doesn't sound quite as good as 14 year old Panasonic SL-S160 but I didn't expect it to.

Jul 5, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #15 of 17
If you want a DAP for just SQ then the Sony is the best choice. If you want a DAP where you can play games and apps and browse the net then the iPod Touch is the best choice.

I have both the Sony for listening to music and the iPod Touch for playing with apps and games and browsing the net.

Art

Users who are viewing this thread

Back