Trying to decide between AKG or Grado headphones
Jun 21, 2010 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

richie60

100+ Head-Fier
I am trying to decide, having narrowed down my choices to either AKG K601/K701 or Grado SR225i/325i headphones.  These will be used between two systems, both PC based:  All FLAC played through Foobar.

The first system, they will be powered by a Media PC > Fubar II USB dac > Audiolab 8000LX amp  & the bedroom system powered via a laptop  > USB to coax converter link to a Marantz SR4300 AV receiver, I hear the headphone outputs of both amps are probably good enough.

Maybe further down the line I will sell on the Marantz AV amp & invest in a headphone amp.

I like a clean sound, good highs, nice bass, don't mind a little warmth to the sound.  I hear the Grados are a better choice for rock/pop music which is my preferred music taste, but was considering the AKG's because they're a bit cheaper & I like the style of them.

Any thoughts on these?

Jun 21, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 18
Can you make it to a meet?

That is your best option. If not I would try to make buying both a reality. Sell the one you dont like after you have had a few weeks to listen for yourself. Perhaps buy the SR-60 & the K701... This gives you a taste of the Grado sound and the AKG sound. As long as you stick with second hand headphones, and dont get fleeced on the price, you get to hear both for the cost of shipping... I'd say thats a great deal.

If you cant do that, I would probably lean towards the Grados because they are a bit more forgiving of iffy sources, amps, recordings, etc. They are also a LOT easier to drive. 

Jun 21, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #3 of 18
Most amps will have no issue driving either headphone. I have no problems with the K702s are roughly recorded music.

Would you prefer the heavier AKGs with their fabric around ear pads or the foam on ear pads of the lighter Grados?

Jun 21, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #5 of 18

Quote:
I'd second Nikongod's advice. K70x are a waste without a kahuna to power it.

Can you both give examples of what works and what does not?

Jun 21, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 18
I much prefer an underpowered AKG K701 to a Grado. I am surprised Grados r recommended for rock so often. They are better for other types. Grados over pronounce guitars(this is coming from a guitarist). They also emphasize highs far too much for rock, a genre music known for sibilance. Akgs are still treble oriented with the highest highs rolled off. Less fatiguing to listen to. They are also more spacious sounding. Also sr325i are very VERY heavy headphones.

Jun 21, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #8 of 18
The K70Xs are going to be more neutral and laid back than the Grados are. If you want to "feel" the excitement in the music I would recommend the Grados and they are more "in your face" and have an emphasis in the mid to upper region. If you want to hear the music closer to how it was actually made and want to feel like youre... maybe in the 5th row the K70Xs are nice.

I would suggest reading up on each phone by itself and see which one is right for you. 

Jun 22, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #10 of 18
This is a real personal preference question that no one can really answer except yourself, but for me (owning a RS1i and a K 702), I prefer the Grado for just about everything.

There are many who disagree.  I would buy the 225i used first.  If you're pleased, then you're done.

Jun 22, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
The 225i is a far safer bet. With the 325, it is either loove it or hate it, while it is much less so with the 225.

Very true. I hated the 325i after owning it for a year. I thought it was a problem with me and my equipment, not the headphones. I was partly wrong. I noticed that i actually preferred almost any brand of "audiophile" brand over Grados. However, at that time, Grado is all I knew.

Jun 22, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #13 of 18
I was leaning more towards the 325i 'cause I think they look better in a metal finish than the cheap looking black plastic 225i for the price.  However, the Alessandro MS2's are looking like a bargain compared to the 325i.

I'm a little worried that if I settled for either AKG K601/701, suggested lack of bass would turn me off them.

I'll do some more thinking....

Jun 22, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
The K70Xs are going to be more neutral and laid back than the Grados are. If you want to "feel" the excitement in the music.

If you want the inviting, involving, warm, participating, energetic, alive and kicking sound, the answer is Grado.
biggrin.gif

I love my Grado SR60 that I'm currently addicted to it.
biggrin.gif

I love headphones that let me participate in the music.

P.S. I assume John Grado placed a drug in every headphone he made.
biggrin.gif

BTW, I do have K701, too.

Jun 22, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
I was leaning more towards the 325i 'cause I think they look better in a metal finish than the cheap looking black plastic 225i for the price.  However, the Alessandro MS2's are looking like a bargain compared to the 325i.

I'm a little worried that if I settled for either AKG K601/701, suggested lack of bass would turn me off them.

I'll do some more thinking....

The AKGs do not have a lack of bass. They have more bass detail than any other headphones I have heard and the bass supports the rest of the music providing the rhythm. What they do not have is BASS that is boomy, thudding, overwhelming and dominant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back