Trying to choose a first Portable amp
Jan 20, 2008 at 9:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Fortgammon

100+ Head-Fier
My gear is an iaudio 7 using Grado sr80 headphones, I'm hearing how an Amp is strongly recommended on any Portable setup.

Just wondering what's the best sub-$100 amp i can get for my setup,
or maybe a bit over $100 if strongly recommended

Jan 20, 2008 at 11:16 AM Post #2 of 18
Pa2v2 ; Peg Caféine for sub-100$
Mini^3 for over-100$
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pa2v2 ; Peg Caféine for sub-100$
Mini^3 for over-100$
smily_headphones1.gif

Stretch your budget for a used Mini3 here on HeadFi. You won't regret it.

Jan 20, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 18
My first amp was a pa2v2 used with my Grado RS80's. It definetly made an improvement in the SQ. $60 new from Gary. Can't go wrong.

Jan 20, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fortgammon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My gear is an iaudio 7 using Grado sr80 headphones, I'm hearing how an Amp is strongly recommended on any Portable setup.

Just wondering what's the best sub-$100 amp i can get for my setup,
or maybe a bit over $100 if strongly recommended

I haven't heard all your options... but... search for Skylab's reviews of 26+ portable amps, or Mrarroyo's reviews of portable amps - perhaps you'll find your best, and most unbiased answers there.

But... "for my money"... I've got both the Corda Move and the Shellbrook Maxi-Moy. Both of these amps are outstanding with most phones - very close in their sound. The Shellbrook has a slightly more analog, tube-like sound - which rivals my former XCAN v3. Skylab ranks the Move in the top 2 or 3 portable amps available.

You can get a "mint" Move in the neighborhood of $175 to $200, and a Maxi-Moy for around $100+ (the better value relative to its sound). You can buy a "mint" HeadSix for about $120+, or a bit more new (which reportedly has the same amp as the Move). The Corda stuff will be easier to resell (the Shellbrook brand has "some baggage," although the amps are superb).

That's where I'd be "placing my bets." Great portable sound at a great price. But... practically speaking... there just isn't that much difference (<5-10%) between most of these amps - unless "you's one a them there audiophiles" with OCD.

PS: Grados require a lot of current to drive them to their best - they may sound lean, or bright, or may clip a bit otherwise. So... you do want to make sure whichever amp you get, that it has enough current to drive Grados well. They're pretty efficient, so most amps will drive them... but, only those with sufficient current drive them well.

Jan 20, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Normality /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm afraid I disagree with the last part of your statement - I find Skylab, for one, to be highly biased, even if naively. And in any event, who among all us isn't biased?
rolleyes.gif
Only the least critical (in their own minds).
smily_headphones1.gif

Andrea, new incarnation?, still bashing Skylab? I guess little has changed.

Jan 20, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #7 of 18
Well i appreciate you guys suggestions, but no DIY's unless they have your average 2-5 days shipping period I have never used an amp before so i'm kinda anxious and wanna try one right away

Normality mentioned the Minibox-D, the whole side outputs are a little turn off, but i'll might buy if recommended enough

Jan 20, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Normality /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm afraid I disagree with the last part of your statement - I find Skylab, for one, to be highly biased, even if naively. And in any event, who among all us isn't biased?
rolleyes.gif
Only the least critical (in their own minds).
smily_headphones1.gif

Personally, I am really happy with Sylab's "highly biased" (your words, not mine) assessments. I would hardly call them "naive." His and Mrarroyo's reviews have helped me enormously in selecting some wonderful sounding amps (in my biased and naive opinion - imbano!). They have spent many hours in their daunting tasks of comapartive reviews and have made a valuable contribution to this forum, imbano.

I cannot find such a contribution from you.

Jan 20, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #10 of 18
I use an Iaudio 7 and MS1 'phones (close to the Grado 80, I believe) with a couple different amps.

I favor the XM4 because of the bass boost (though the 7 can be adjusted for more bass by itself). I feel it has been good money spent. I splurged on the battery and charger.

I have recently aquired a Lyrix Pro that with the MS1 'phones sounds pretty good also and also has a bass boost. The crossfeed on the Lyrix is better, IMO. The Lyrix has been giving the XM4 a run for "favorite" status. A bit "smoother" sounding, I'd describe it.

The XM4 is smaller and lighter, though, so I still prefer it for walking, etc.

I also have an mSEED amp. The mSEED is beginning to sound pretty good, too, but it now has over 200 hours use on it and is now beginning to come into its own IMHO. A used one may be possible to acquire.

Jan 21, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #11 of 18
another vote for the Mini^3.
the "high performance" version utilizes a high current output AD8397 opamp which is ideal for Grados.
you should be able to find a used one in your price range, as well.

Jan 21, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #13 of 18
There are many amps in the $100 range to choose from in the for sale forum here. I havent paid over $160 for any of my amps, and they all sound good.

Look at Headb.com: Audiophile Products, Accessories & more
Z-Audio - Home
HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears
Kein Titel

Or check out Ibasso.

Id say go for an RSA amp...but theyre all over $100, as well as a Xin or one of Justins amps.

Some of the CMOY Mint-Tin amps on Ebay are ok and under $50, but there are better deals sometimes ,if you wait it out, on our used forum right here on Head-Fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back