Trying not to damage my ears
Jul 9, 2008 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Aldyrin2

Head-Fier
So I've been using my ATH-W1000's with my Millet MAX amp for a while now, and with an Alien DAC as the source, I'm having trouble telling exactly how loud the music is playing.

Anyone have any suggestions on setting volume levels to prevent hearing loss?

I guess the only right answer would be to get some device to measure dB... anyone know where to get one cheap?

Thanks,
Ald

Jul 9, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 22
I looked at the Radio Shack one, and it looks to be ok. My question though is how do you measure the headphones themselves? I guess playing a test tone and turning the volume up to whatever level and testing each side, but how accurate is this? I mean, do you set the mic on the SPL meter at the same distance you would have your ear? Does it also pick up sound from the other driver as well? I'd also like to be able to test if each side of my phones are outputting the same db level, but I'm not sure how accurate this is. I may pick one up for the purposes of fine tuning my home theater anyway...

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 22
It seems to me that to get a correct reading for headphones with one of those SPL meters, you would have to seal off the cup with the sensor inside. Do they offer attachments for those things to be able to do this?

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #5 of 22
Not that I've seen, but that's a good point...maybe you could cut a hole in a fairly insulating material and press it to the earcup. It wouldn't be an exact reading as you would want, but it would be close enough I suppose for measuring driver variation. I guess you could also just meter them as closely as you can with either the L or R input unplugged from the amp...

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #6 of 22
Here's a couple of posts on how you can measure with an SPL meter. I'm sure they're not perfect, but you can get at least a ball park figure.

Here's how I measure IEM SPL. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/2850576-post102.html

From the same thread, here's how to measure SPL for a full sized can http://www.head-fi.org/forums/2767153-post42.html

From what I've read, the best measure for IEMs is done by an audiologist with a small microphone in your ear with the IEMs in place. I've not yet found an audiologist in my area that does this though.

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #7 of 22
Ah, you rule! Thanks! Skylab's a genius.

Jul 9, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #8 of 22
Some people use Skylab's method to generate FR graphs. It's called the plate method. I've seen special plates you can buy, but cardboard supposedly comes close and is a lot cheaper
biggrin.gif
It's not supposed to be as accurate as a dummy head which is extremely expensive.

Jul 9, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aldyrin2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have any suggestions on setting volume levels to prevent hearing loss?

I work at a hearing aid office and I know that sounds above 80db (the volume of a lawn mower for reference) are damaging to your ears.
Hope that helps!

Jul 9, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #10 of 22
Here's the OSHA chart for hearing protection. To be safe, I'd subtract at least 5dB or, like blackwater, 10dB from each row of the table. So 80dB for no more than 8 hours.

Code:

Code:
[left]______________________________________________________________ | Duration per day, hours | Sound level dBA slow response ____________________________|_________________________________ | 8...........................| 90 6...........................| 92 4...........................| 95 3...........................| 97 2...........................| 100 1 1/2 ......................| 102 1...........................| 105 1/2 ........................| 110 1/4 or less................| 115 ____________________________|________________________________[/left]

Here's a good article on Headwize that has this chart and what common sounds are in terms of dB. Note that a rock concert is listed at 120dB. That means that every time you go to a concert without hearing protection, you do some damage to your hearing. It may not be enough to put you below normal hearing levels in a test (like for me), but it's still damage and your hearing isn't as good as it was before the concert. http://www.headwize.com/articles/hearing_art.htm

I recently bought Ety ER-20 ear plugs which are supposed to have a flat FR in the sound it suppresses. This means that it turns down the music with out changing the relative pitches. I've not gone to a concert since I bought them, so I'm not sure how well they work in practice. In theory, they sound be better than foam ear plugs, which you should use if you don't have the Etys.

Sorry if I'm coming across as lecturing, but I've realized I've damaged my hearing somewhat over the years. My wife is hard of hearing, so I have some idea what it's like to go though life not being able to hear, and I don't want that.

Jul 10, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bah! If I can't listen loud I don't want to listen at all.
biggrin.gif

I hear ya. I SAID I HEAR YOU!
biggrin.gif

Notice the SPL meter at 92 dB. Is that too loud?
basshead.gif

Jul 10, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear ya. I SAID I HEAR YOU!
biggrin.gif

Notice the SPL meter at 92 dB. Is that too loud?
basshead.gif

That is equivalent to being 10 meters away from a moving diesel truck.

Jul 10, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #15 of 22
This is making me worried. Do your local hifi audio stores have tools to measure this. I don't really want to spend $40 on the tool but would like to see how much i'm pumping into myself. I don't think its that bad but -_-''' paranoia is setting in...

With my open cans, I can still hear people speaking at normal levels. I play my iems quieter than what I play on my full cans I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back