Truth about Nordost Valhalla power cord
Feb 23, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #168 of 177
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #169 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I rarely go outside. One time I wasn't outside for half a year.

Yeah, right!
rolleyes.gif

Feb 24, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #170 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I rarely go outside. One time I wasn't outside for half a year.

I think you might, if you can handle going out, benefit from experiencing a live performance. It would give you something real to compare to your experiments, as one of the supposed goals of high-end gear is to reproduce as accurately as possible the sound of a live performance.

Feb 25, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #171 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All that $$$ on cables and you have a crappy Antec Truepower PSU in your PC.

I saw that and any and all cred he may have had,went flying out the window
in a flash.

Feb 25, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #172 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny Calavera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw that and any and all cred he may have had,went flying out the window
in a flash.

A true audiophile doesn't care about credibility, otherwise he would spend all his time figuring out what to say to make people believe him, instead of tweaking and posting his results.

I upgraded that crappy PSU into a PSU that audiophiles recommended and I didn't hear a difference. But I do hear HUGE differences when adding power conditioners, power cables, vibration isolation and shielding. It makes me believe that the electronics of the audio system is placebo.

I have also upgraded from computer to dCS Verdi Encore transport and the improvement was as small as a few sheets of ERS Paper. I still liked the sound of computer better because it sounded more like real life. If people want to spend $16k for a pretty chassis and get placebo from it, then they should do that, whatever makes them happy...but I rather use that money to buy tweaks instead, especially Magix levitation feet, who doesn't want to levitate? I like to levitate!

The electronics are the last things to upgrade in my system. Fixing the enviromental problems is the first thing to do, because then it makes the components work like they should, and it causes the differences between components to be insignificant. I have built my system around my tweaks instead of the opposite.

Imagine construction workers drilling into your house, would you buy expensive components that work better in those vibrations or would you fix the problem from the source by telling them to stop with their drilling? And what about the noise, would you downgrade to worse headphones just to block the drilling noise? First you need to take care of the environment...

Feb 26, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #173 of 177
I think you need to appreciate a live performance if you're to truly appreciate any kind of audio.

Mar 9, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #174 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you need to appreciate a live performance if you're to truly appreciate any kind of audio.

Glenn Gould left the live concert performance circuit to focus on providing concert performance quality music to a different kind of audience through recorded performances. There is room for kinds of interactions between the musical artist and the sound of the instrument and audience other than that of the live performance. Does the interaction paradigm offered by the live performance "need" to be appreciated if any other paradign is to truly be appreciated? Again, there is room to appreciate some artist/sound/audience interaction paradigms without necessarily appreciating them all, including the live performance paradigm. Why don't we allow that room to be left available?

Of all of the concert piano recordings that I enjoy (and of all of the live concert piano performances I've enjoyed - between the Robin Hood Dell, the Philadelphia Academy of Music, the newer Kimmel Center and some excursions to New York City's Carnegie Hall, and my wife's frequent performances on our own upright grand piano), I find the experience of interacting with the artist, the sound of the instrument, and the music through one of Glenn Gould's recordings (as one of many examples), to be a very rich and a very fine one.

Recorded music offers a quite precious opportunity to experience the performances of artists who are no longer alive while they were at the interpretive and performing peaks of their lives, as well as artists constrained by geographical or political boundaries. While many will find that an appreciation of that vast recorded literature is highly augmented by frequent exposure to live performances, others may find just as much that the richness of performances and artistic expression available through recorded music provides a context for appreciation quite a bit larger and more varied than is possible through the live performance.

I am daily amazed that music, in all of the forms in which I can be exposed to it, stirs such deep and compelling thoughts and experiences (including vivid memories of things I had not thought about for decades at times). I think that we all not only hear things differently, but that we can also experience the sounds which enrich our lives in equally different varieties and balances of formats.

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #175 of 177
While I agree that live performances are great, at least for classical music, I prefer studio recordings. I don't notice the coughs as much in the concert hall as when listening through headphones.

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #176 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I agree that live performances are great, at least for classical music, I prefer studio recordings. I don't notice the coughs as much in the concert hall as when listening through headphones.

Don't you enjoy seeing the orchestra and conductor? I enjoy watchingthem perform. Also, what about the acoustics? Concert halls usually smoke a living room (or your head) when it comes to that.

Mar 9, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #177 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't you enjoy seeing the orchestra and conductor? I enjoy watchingthem perform. Also, what about the acoustics? Concert halls usually smoke a living room (or your head) when it comes to that.

I just didn't express myself well. I have a subscription to the National Symphony and WPAS which sponsors classical, jazz, dance, etc shows. In 2 weeks, I'm seeing Alfred Brendel.

It's just on recordings that I prefer it not be live. And that's just for classical music.

I have pretty much stopped going to rock concerts though. It's just too loud and, in clubs at least, too late. I am thinking of seeing Blue Man Group this week when I'm in Las Vegas for work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back