TRRS vs TRRRS 4.4 balanced?
Feb 10, 2020 at 9:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

PocketClouds

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm a little perplexed about the 4.4mm TRRS vs TRRRS.

I've ordered a custom cable where the one and only option for 4.4mm was with TRRRS jack. I ask for a 4.4 balanced connector but I can't understand if really is. In a site I read TRRRS is balanced and TRRS is single way, on another site vice-versa...

Thanks. :relaxed:

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 5
4.4 is always Trrrs. :wink:
Trrs (2.5) is balanced too.

Trrs = Tip left+; ring left-; ring right+; Sleeve right-

Trrrs( 4.4) shares the same diagram like trrs( mostly 2.5), except the sleeve, which is not connected for balanced.

Single ended is Trs mostly 3.5, whereas single ended with mic is trrs on 3.5!!!

I do know one headphone with 3.5 Trrs on the headphone itself, it's the Oppo PM 3 i own.

Hope that helps a bit. :)
For more questions, please ask whatever you want.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi, I'm a little perplexed about the 4.4mm TRRS vs TRRRS.

I've ordered a custom cable where the one and only option for 4.4mm was with TRRRS jack. I ask for a 4.4 balanced connector but I can't understand if really is. In a site I read TRRRS is balanced and TRRS is single way, on another site vice-versa...

Thanks. :relaxed:

TRRS usually refers to 2.5mm jacks, which have 4 conductors: L+, L-, R+, R-.

For TRRRS, that refers to 4.4mm jacks, which have 5 conductors: L+, L-, R+, R-, Ground.

For headphones, the ground is not used at all and the 4.4mm behaves as a 2.5mm normally will. Although in normal parlance this is referred to as 'balanced', it is actually differential for most amps in that the -ve pin is just the +ve signal but inverted (i.e. 180* out of phase). However, when connecting up components (i.e. DAC + amp), that ground is useful in being used as a common ground, thus eliminating any ground loops.

So, think about it like this:

For balanced between components, you need a +ve, -ve and a ground. For single ended, only the +ve contains the signal, and the -ve presumably the noise only. For differential, the +ve has a signal, and the -ve has the inverted signal. Both +ve and -ve are referenced to a ground.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #4 of 5
I think the difference between TRRS and TRRRS is whether with ground or without ground. Those cable with mic is exception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back