Troublesome HD650 burn-in
Aug 28, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #31 of 49
I can attest to Senns taking a lot of burn in. My 595s took almost 300 hours before the bass really came out

Aug 28, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #32 of 49
I won't be able to give you specific times, but I can assure you that your cans will get better. Mine did. When I first took them out of the box, though not disappointed, I was certainly underwhelmed. They got better over the next 50 hours or so, and then seemed to deteriorate again until the next 50 (about 100 in total). From then onwards, they only got better, and at this point (250 hours) they sound divine.

This is coming from someone who did not believe in burn-in.

Edit: One piece of advice: try alternating between both bass-heavy music and pink/white noise. I found bass-heavy music did the most to open them up, while the pink/white noise combination seemed to 'refine' it. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Aug 28, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieo
also, aftermarket cables make a difference. i give silver 300 hours of burn-in before i will listen to them. 550 hours of michael jackson can drive you crazy. i was already crazy so that not matter much.

you can save time by replacing the stock cables a.s.a.p. with new ones or you can buy used ones that are already burnt.

burn in on cables?!

Aug 28, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #34 of 49
Hi!

Oh god. A good idea is put your HD650 in burn-in with WHITE NOISE for 2 or 3 days.

I make this with mine HD580 and the sound will be VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY best than I loud without burn-in.

Thanks,
Felipe Navarro

Aug 28, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #35 of 49
I just got an HD650 with the jr deal, and all of what everyone is describing happened to me too. It got to a point where I was ready to send them back. The first 50 hours or so, they sounded great. The bass was a little muddy, but it still sounded loads better than the bass out of my last set of cans, an HD497. Then sometime after 50, the bass completely vanished, and the treble was really harsh and annoying. It felt like I was listening to a grado
blink.gif
I was running them unamped out of the balanced outputs of an EMU 1212m, so i was afraid i damaged them by doing this. They sounded incredibly amazing though (first 50 hours), significantly better than a couple of low end single ended amps I tried. It looks like there's a fair amount of people running HD650's out of a DAC1, or the Lavry DAC, anyone else using a 1212m?

So with all the hype about burn in I pluged them in and walked away for another 50 hours. All of a sudden they sound good again, so i guess burn in is real... I just found this thred, so it's good to know this is a trend with sennheiser headphones, and that i didn't break my first $300 headphones.

Steve

Aug 28, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #36 of 49
While I don't have 650s, you might be able to accelerate the break-in process by playing loops of white and pink noise at an above average level, with a little extra bass. You can download the samples at my Break-in site below. (Look under Colors of Noise.) I find that dense noise samples like these work much faster than playing music through your phones.

I use iTunes, and play the samples day and night through my computer, and put the headphones in a drawer. The ocean-like sounds of noise are quite relaxing. I can't say when satisfactory break-in will occur for your phones, but at least you'll be listening to music faster.

Aug 28, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #37 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by aliquis
burn in on cables?!

Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet.

Aug 28, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #38 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daroid
My new HD650s have been burning in for about 80 hours now and to be honest they sound pretty bad. There are still a lot of areas where I prefer the HD25-1.
The best way to describe how the HD650 currently sound is boomy, baloony, congested mids, with slightly congested bass with good extension and a clear recess around 3.5 kHz, but otherwise well detailed treble but maybe with a slight roll-off... the mids bug me enough not to be able to notice a roll-off.
Is this normal even after the 80 hours mark ? I searched and people say they lost the bass at around this point in the burn-in process. Also the treble should be severely rolled off. I really experience neither of this - are these headphones broken ?

System used: RME digi 96/8 pad (blackgate mod) -> SDS Labs Headphone amp (other people use HD600 and such with this amp).

Mine got at about 10 days(running 24/7).
eek.gif

Aug 28, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet.

I can't understand what would come out from that, will the electrons start jumping around more even and easily after a while or what? (I can understand if the speaker membrans might "set themself" a little where they are mounter or lose up from the movements or whatever.)

Better take a high voltage power cable 10cm thick or so then, should have had a nice burn in... (Actually I saw some cut of in 10-20 metre lengths or so, considered taking two home for my speakers just to be an ass but I guessed they where quite heavy.)

Aug 28, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #40 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali
While I don't have 650s, you might be able to accelerate the break-in process by playing loops of white and pink noise at an above average level, with a little extra bass.

Do you mean I should play these samples with "bass boost"? (ie. turning up low frequencies)

Aug 28, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #41 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ranma172
I've always thought burn-in is more psychological than physical, but now I'm changing my mind. The sound of my new 650 is somewhat "closed"; more or less like Daroid's. I compare them to my old 580 and I like more the latter. My 580 sound, at least much brighter, but I think bass is also better. It's really noticeable with any source.

I hope burn-in is really physical, because if not, I will be really disappointed.

580smile.gif
vs
600smile.gif

You'll be amazed.
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2006 at 12:11 PM Post #42 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ranma172
Do you mean I should play these samples with "bass boost"? (ie. turning up low frequencies)

I wouldn't do it. Though no one seems to know it anymore, patience used to be a virtue...

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #43 of 49
I just got my HD650 a week ago. I don't want them to play stuff, that I can't hear. I don't want them to be in a closet on our honeymoon. I don't want them to fool around without me!

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #44 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by librarian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my HD650 a week ago. I don't want them to play stuff, that I can't hear. I don't want them to be in a closet on our honeymoon. I don't want them to fool around without me!

You bumped an ancient thread to say that??
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back