Troublesome HD650 burn-in
Jan 29, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #16 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daroid
But I still don't feel like spending anything extras on cables and such when i don't even know what it is supposed to sound like (i.e. maxed out) after physical/psychological burn in. After all, the stock cable at least isn't oxidized lamp wire
tongue.gif

sooner or later upgradeitis is gonna hit you and you're gonna itch for those cables....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 29, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #17 of 49
Nobody believes me that it takes at least 2 years and above of use to reach the final complete burned-in state. Have patience, 60 hours is just a slight scratch. Speaking in my experience, the loosening of the diaphragms cannot be rushed; it takes accumulation of vibration and use to loose up.

Jan 29, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #18 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
sooner or later upgradeitis is gonna hit you and you're gonna itch for those cables....
very_evil_smiley.gif

I have had it since DT231... the problem is that the wallet is often empty so I couldn't go faster than DT231 -> HD25-1 -> HD650 in three-four years
evil_smiley.gif

Btw. what is the thing about "do not cover the transducers" written in the booklet ? What happens if you do it for a longer time ? - i only did it for 2 secs or so and the sound became slightly more tinny and harsh - why is that ?

2 Years ? Is that 2-4 hours a day listening or 24/7 ? Sounds awfully long...

Jan 29, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #19 of 49
In other news: Cables don't effect sound quality!

Jan 29, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #21 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Scarpitti
Just put them on your ears and use them. This 'burn-in' stuff is a crock of poo.....

except for the fact that a while ago this guy posted a chart on a new pair of headphones and old pair of headphones (same one) and they were almost entirely different except for the mids.

and well. just to add for it. Friend bought a pair of e2c and i was surprised how clear the mids were, but how the highs hurt my ears. after 2 weeks i listened again. whoa. that was canal phone heaven.
same to my audiotechnicas.. the highs.. heh

keep rockin!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #22 of 49
Quote:

2 Years ? Is that 2-4 hours a day listening or 24/7 ? Sounds awfully long...

Normal use I mean... if 24 hours a day it should be shorter.

Jan 29, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #23 of 49
Download those headphone burn-in wave files and they will expedite the burn-in process (forgot the link). If you want, I can send it to you by E-mail, they're small files.

Jan 31, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #24 of 49
At about 130 hours now... not positive at all... the midrange colorations have returned at about 110 hours and they really remind me very much of a cheap headset's mid-bass/midrange which is overly boomy and coherent. I'm only speaking about the midrange here of course.

Last question: Burn-in (if it exists) with such as high regarded headphone as the HD600 and HD650, is it really normal that it will sound so bad as much cheaper headphones during this process ? Would the same apply to R10 at some point in the beginning ? i.e. it's weird that the higher you move up the hierarchy the larger span of sound signatures you'll get during burn-in.

EDIT: Thanks, already have the burn in files (from a 423 mb zip/bin), and using these occasionally.

Jan 31, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

At about 130 hours now... not positive at all... the midrange colorations have returned at about 110 hours and they really remind me very much of a cheap headset's mid-bass/midrange which is overly boomy and coherent. I'm only speaking about the midrange here of course.

Last question: Burn-in (if it exists) with such as high regarded headphone as the HD600 and HD650, is it really normal that it will sound so bad as much cheaper headphones during this process ? Would the same apply to R10 at some point in the beginning ? i.e. it's weird that the higher you move up the hierarchy the larger span of sound signatures you'll get during burn-in.

EDIT: Thanks, already have the burn in files (from a 423 mb zip/bin), and using these occasionally.

My experience was as follows (from memory)

1-50 hours = Boomy bass, rolled off highs and sucked in mids
50 - 150 hours = no bottom end...emphasized midbass and mids and non-existent highs
150 - 300 hours = Bass returns to a controlled level, mids flourish and highs are clean and crystal clear in resolution.

From there on it has just been getting better...

Yes the transitions are shocking and frightening...sometimes I thought my drivers were gonna blow
eek.gif
or that I had permanently damaged the cans by overdoing it..

Jan 31, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #28 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ogewo
The 650 stands for 650 hours of burn-in. Everybody knows that.

Mine took 650 minutes to sound great ...
icon10.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #29 of 49
A hearty call...

Be delicate to your 'phones when you burn them in!
Reading about burn in sometimes just makes my heart squeeze with apprehension...
tongue.gif

Aug 27, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

Mr. Scarpitti, He heh, I knew you would tune in sooner or later. Sometimes i'm doubting wether burn-in exists or not, but I'll bet there is something mental/psychological involved too. Can't prove anything, can't disprove it either.

I've always thought burn-in is more psychological than physical, but now I'm changing my mind. The sound of my new 650 is somewhat "closed"; more or less like Daroid's. I compare them to my old 580 and I like more the latter. My 580 sound, at least much brighter, but I think bass is also better. It's really noticeable with any source.

I hope burn-in is really physical, because if not, I will be really disappointed.

580smile.gif
vs
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back