Troubleshooting popping sound on audio chain
Jul 31, 2023 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

HirkEukvic

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I've got the following audio chain playing on my secondary (bedside) system and it makes a loud pop each time playback starts or stops. I'm trying to diagnose it and would appreciate help.

Questions are: (1) any guesses how to stop the issue, and (2) is this likely to damage my headphones?

Here's the chain:
HiBy R6III > 4.4 interconnect > Zen Can > Meze Liric (4.4 cable). All cables were bought directly from Hart. The Zen came from Amazon and I'm unsure if the included DC cable was added open-box even though it was sold as new (it's definitely low-quality).

The app I stream from the DAP doesn't seem to affect the pop sound (I use USB Audio Pro and/or Qobuz). A different 4.4 interconnect I made myself adds a buzz when I touch the cable, which makes me suspect a ground issue.

All suggestions welcome.

Jul 31, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #2 of 20
Do you hear the popping noise if you plug your headphones directly into the DAP? If not, this suggests a problem with the amp.

Jul 31, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 20
Jul 31, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 20
Step one is to try a different source. Get the amp out of the chain, as the said. I doubt it's cables. If taking the amp out fixes it, replace the PSU... or just get a different amp - the Zen Can isn't dreadful, but it's not anywhere near the level of your other gear.

The included PSU definitely limits power - iFi sells an aftermarket replacement, which is pretty telling.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 20
Step one is to try a different source. Get the amp out of the chain, as the said. I doubt it's cables. If taking the amp out fixes it, replace the PSU... or just get a different amp - the Zen Can isn't dreadful, but it's not anywhere near the level of your other gear.
The amp is definitely the source of the loud pop ... I hear a very faint one when the R6III starts playing but nothing like the ear bleeder I hear from the Zen. I'll contact Amazon first to see if I can return the Can before I reach out to iFi support about other options.

Jul 31, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 20
The amp is definitely the source of the loud pop ... I hear a very faint one when the R6III starts playing but nothing like the ear bleeder I hear from the Zen. I'll contact Amazon first to see if I can return the Can before I reach out to iFi support about other options.
If you're getting a pop with the R6 alone, then the amp is probably just, well... Amping it. Do you have other headphones to double check with?

Jul 31, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 20
If you're getting a pop with the R6 alone, then the amp is probably just, well... Amping it. Do you have other headphones to double check with?

I mixed and matched all my equipment (including using different cables on the Liric) and the only thing that consistently creates the horrible pop is the Zen. The R6III appears to make a mild click when it changes sample rates, but as I listen closely it's a different pitch than the sound from the Zen. Amazon gave me the option for a refund, and next time I'll just buy from somewhere that doesn't ship open box items as if they're new.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 20
Correction to earlier post, it's definitely an issue with the HiBy DAP. With a pair of IEMs the popping sound is a lot more audible and happens randomly even when music isn't playing. Verified with other headphones as well.

Aug 1, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #9 of 20
Correction to earlier post, it's definitely an issue with the HiBy DAP. With a pair of IEMs the popping sound is a lot more audible and happens randomly even when music isn't playing. Verified with other headphones as well.
Are you connected to the headphone out or the line out with the amplifier?

When you say "even when music isn't playing", are you saying that you get a pop, a set time after playback stops, or that you continue to get pops, indefinitely even after playback has stopped long beforehand (and no other playbacks were started again)?

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 2, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #10 of 20
Are you connected to the headphone out or the line out with the amplifier?

When you say "even when music isn't playing", are you saying that you get a pop, a set time after playback stops, or that you continue to get pops, indefinitely even after playback has stopped long beforehand (and no other playbacks were started again)?
The amp is connected to the line out via 4.4 jack. Pops consistently when playback starts or stops.

When the music isn't playing, the pop will happen randomly every couple of minutes into sensitive headphones via the headphone jacks (both 3.5 and 4.4 mm). I haven't figured out a pattern yet for the pop when it's not playing music but it seems to happen more when I'm using USB Audio Pro instead of Qobuz. Can't confirm that though.

Aug 2, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #11 of 20
Is the DAP near (e.g. a few inches away) from a wi-fi router, cell phone or other source of RF when no music is playing and you hear pops out of headphone jacks?

Aug 2, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #13 of 20
Is the DAP near (e.g. a few inches away) from a wi-fi router, cell phone or other source of RF when no music is playing and you hear pops out of headphone jacks?
No, it seems unrelated to RFI. HiBy help advised a factory reset, but that didn't fix the issue.

My best guess so far (based on how it happens 1-2 seconds after music stops playing or when I switch between apps) is that it has something to do with apps handing off control of the internal DAC. I never have more than one app open at once, but it seems to happen more with USB Audio Pro than with the Qobuz native app.

I'm reluctant to use the built in HiBy music player (though it'd probably be more reliable) because Google Play Protect blocked it from installing updates. Apparently it registered it as suspicious.

Aug 2, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #14 of 20
No, it seems unrelated to RFI. HiBy help advised a factory reset, but that didn't fix the issue.

My best guess so far (based on how it happens 1-2 seconds after music stops playing or when I switch between apps) is that it has something to do with apps handing off control of the internal DAC. I never have more than one app open at once, but it seems to happen more with USB Audio Pro than with the Qobuz native app.

I'm reluctant to use the built in HiBy music player (though it'd probably be more reliable) because Google Play Protect blocked it from installing updates. Apparently it registered it as suspicious.
Sadly USB Audio Player Pro seems to have more and more issues lately. I get the impression they haven't been able to keep up with back end changes in more recent versions of Android. I also get pops and clicks with some things and not others... That said, don't know how much of it is because I'm running Android 14 Beta.

Aug 2, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #15 of 20
Sadly USB Audio Player Pro seems to have more and more issues lately. I get the impression they haven't been able to keep up with back end changes in more recent versions of Android. I also get pops and clicks with some things and not others... That said, don't know how much of it is because I'm running Android 14 Beta.
Ah, that would make sense. The only alternative I'm aware of is Neutron and it's got a really clunky UI. If you have other recommendations, please let me know. ... Or if anyone is aware of whether the HiBy native app is actually trustworthy. Google Play Protect is really bad at blocking malware, so when it says something is suspicious, that's a huge red flag for me.

Otherwise I'll hope Roon Arc updates to recognize onboard DACs so it won't downsample everything for Android native processing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back