Trouble fitting my PL50 - any advice?
Aug 23, 2010 at 11:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Sarah

100+ Head-Fier
I got a pair of the Soundmagic PL50s a few days ago to replace my broken E2Cs... and while I love the sound on them, I'm having a ton of trouble getting a good fit.

The first problem is that the fit is too shallow. The second problem is that the included tips are too small. Basically, even with the largest tips, only the tapered end is reaching my ear canal and it's not enough to seal.

Unfortunately, I really can't wear rubber/silicone tips on any IEMs, not sure why but they're extremely uncomfortable for me after a while. So I am looking at foam tips only. (Which sucks because I can get a seal with no problem with rubber tips.)

I was able to get them to work by flipping the foam tips around, cutting off the excess foam from the tapered part, and putting them onto the sound tube backwards. (I had to snip them so the inner tube would grab hold of the sound tube, unfortunately, or this would work a lot better.) This way the fattest part of the tip is in my ear and it is just enough to get a seal. Problems: insertion is uncomfortable and they lose the seal very easily (basically any change in my facial expression is enough to lose seal, which gets annoying pretty quickly).

So my question is - is there an aftermarket foam tip or some kind of tip mod that will work for me, or should I just swap them for a different IEM that is suited to my ears better? 

I'd like to get them to work because I really do like the sound, especially for the price... but if I can't get them in my ears, I guess it doesn't matter how good the sound is.

Aug 23, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 10
Hi Sarah, you can try the Comply P series for Westone. It comes with both regular and extra long version. Odd enough the regular version is called 'slim' while the extra long version is the 'standard'/

Aug 23, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 10
I will give those a shot, thanks! I didn't know Comply made an extra-long version. Hopefully those few extra mm will be enough to keep a seal for me.

It looks like the extra-long version is also 1.8mm wider at the base, so I guess that's why the other ones are 'slim.'

Aug 30, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #5 of 10
I just finally got the P series tips in the mail. They don't look like they are anywhere close to the right size to fit on the nozzle of the PL-50. I haven't opened the package in case I need to return them, but they look like they are about half the size that would be required.

@ClieOS, have you actually tried these and they worked? How hard is it to get them on?

@goodvibes, I don't see how I could get olives on them either... those are made for much smaller nozzles as well.

Sep 4, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #6 of 10
I received mine yesterday and found the packing a bit girly. I bet you cant please everybody. I tried different plugs.
After a while I took to the once nearest to an earplug.it works.

Sep 4, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #7 of 10
Sorry for the late reply. I did put Comply P on PL50 several times, both the standard and slim version. It just need a little push and twist (but be careful, or else the foam will fall out), the core of Comply P will expend to fit around the nozzle

Quote:
@ClieOS, have you actually tried these and they worked? How hard is it to get them on?

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #8 of 10
I eventually did open them up and put them on. I can't get them over the little ridge (the foam looks like it would come off way before that ever happened) so they are not the most secure fit, but they work. I had to trim off part of the foam tip because they were not stable and were sticking way out of my ears between the long tip and not going all the way onto the nozzle.

But, the good news is that they now seal and are comfortable to wear out and about. Not perfect but very usable and I'm happy
ksc75smile.gif
  So thank you for the suggestion.

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #9 of 10
Yep, the ridge need a little more effort to overcome, but it is doable. If you want to push it in, try compress the foam all the way first before pushing it in. A little twisting motion helps as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back