Tripowin x HBB: Mele/Olina - Discussion Thread - Olina OUT now
Mar 7, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #1,201 of 1,725
I was going to post this on the IMR thread, but I I think I can hopefully get get answer on this thread. Can anybody give a sound comparison between the HBB Olina and the IMR Splash of Gold. Thanks guys......there must be someone.

Mar 7, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #1,202 of 1,725
OK, at last I managed to bring tip issues under control.

So, again, sound is balanced, bright and energetic but not sibilant. With the bright leaning of the sound, they seem to sound the best at a medium volume. However... Olina has the WORST isolation in IEMs that I have yet heard. With 2 vents per IEM they have almost an open back level isolation. On a noisy street this throws you out of the music. Then you're pushing the volume up and the brightness starts to border on fatiguing. I think this one should have been either darker tuned or better isolated.
The Olina's treble realy shouts too early. The price around $99 for this tuning mistake is nonsense, even if technicalities are good. It would need more attention from the tuner and more beta-testers. Mele does not suffer from it.

Mar 7, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #1,203 of 1,725
The Olina's treble realy shouts too early. The price around $99 for this tuning mistake is nonsense, even if technicalities are good. It would need more attention from the tuner and more beta-testers. Mele does not suffer from it.
double mesh mod is a good fix for this tuning mistake, nothing is perfect, at least it is a simple free fix that takes 5 seconds per side to do and unlike the front vent mod, it is durable as the mesh will not get scratched as it rests in the nozzle

Mar 7, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #1,204 of 1,725

So, again, sound is balanced, bright and energetic but not sibilant. With the bright leaning of the sound, they seem to sound the best at a medium volume. However... Olina has the WORST isolation in IEMs that I have yet heard. With 2 vents per IEM they have almost an open back level isolation. On a noisy street this throws you out of the music. Then you're pushing the volume up and the brightness starts to border on fatiguing. I think this one should have been either darker tuned or better isolated.
Double damper/bus mod.

Mar 7, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #1,205 of 1,725
Double damper/bus mod.
Eh. With due respect, it shouldn't be my job to fix the tuning mistakes. That's the tuner's job.

Although, in general I find the tuning good. It's the combination of bright leaning with very bad isolation that is the killer.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #1,206 of 1,725

You're not the only one noticing this... that is why redrol and PW found that the double filter mod makes it possible to crank the volume without suffering from high volume brightness fatigue. That might solve both your issues.

oops, never mind I see redrol already replied to this more succinctly. And from your reply it sounds like that mod does not solve the issue for you.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #1,207 of 1,725
With 2 vents per IEM they have almost an open back level isolation.
That's interesting observation b/c I recall somebody in a review mentioned that the spacious/3d/holographic presentation is seems slightly more like an open back headphone than other IEMs do.

Mar 8, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #1,212 of 1,725
You're not the only one noticing this... that is why redrol and PW found that the double filter mod makes it possible to crank the volume without suffering from high volume brightness fatigue. That might solve both your issues.

oops, never mind I see redrol already replied to this more succinctly. And from your reply it sounds like that mod does not solve the issue for you.
More like he won't even bother doing 5 sec modding because it should not be his job so... :rolling_eyes: Maybe need to get those $3k IEM for perfect tuning.

Mar 8, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #1,214 of 1,725
So we concur that the tuning is not perfect.

You don't need to spend $3k for a better tuning, $80 Aria doesn't look like it has those issues.

Aria is known for one of the worst QC problems in the game. That was a terrible example.

Also, I can't understand how someone likes Aria bloatness, but strokes for folks I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back