Tripowin x HBB: Mele/Olina - Discussion Thread - Olina OUT now
Sep 27, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #485 of 1,725
So, I've had these for a few days now. I burned them in for 24 hours, then started listening. Not feeling the love. It may be the tips, but I've had a hard time changing them to my go-to's of KZ Starline or Sony Hybrids. These nozzles seem to be wide. Has anyone else had luck with different tips? And if so, which ones?

Sep 27, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #486 of 1,725
Wow - I did a double take! Absolutely reused shells, though I think that is not uncommon practice.
Compared the ones in picture with the Mele, there are differences when it comes to how the faceplate is fixed to the shell, I prefer the clean, smaller way of the Mele.
Also, I really prefer the Black faceplate of the Mele, but personal taste here.

Sep 28, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #487 of 1,725
So, I've had these for a few days now. I burned them in for 24 hours, then started listening. Not feeling the love. It may be the tips, but I've had a hard time changing them to my go-to's of KZ Starline or Sony Hybrids. These nozzles seem to be wide. Has anyone else had luck with different tips? And if so, which ones?
The nozzles are quite wide. I tried them with AZLA Xelastics and had to stretch them on. Just stuck with the stock tips as I actually get a decent fit with them.

Sep 28, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #488 of 1,725
I had problems with a few different tips where I got a good seal or good comfort but not both, but eventually I settled on Spinfit CP100s for both great seal and comfort. Found out after the fact that those were the tips that HBB was using when he was working on the tuning, for what it's worth.

Sep 28, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #489 of 1,725
I had problems with a few different tips where I got a good seal or good comfort but not both, but eventually I settled on Spinfit CP100s for both great seal and comfort. Found out after the fact that those were the tips that HBB was using when he was working on the tuning, for what it's worth.
Thank you for the reply. I have some CP-145's laying around. I'll give them a try.

Sep 28, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #490 of 1,725
Gold owner reporting

9EE013CD-BE19-4692-809F-CEFB67095D22.jpeg

Amazing build for the price, set the gold standard for $50 iem, this easily match if not beat many $100 iems. Comfort ok, long enough stem, good weight, no weird protrusion/shape, no driver flex vacuum, decent/usable cable, functional case.

5E6344E3-0F81-433A-BE75-CBB8FBEC3AD2.jpeg

First impression, prominent sub bass with good decay/slam, great bass texture and detail for $50, bass doesn’t bleed to mid, surprisingly female sounded better than male for the mid, treble resolving but sounded busy, timbre very accurate and natural, soundstage and imaging average, reminds me of LCD 2/ZMF planar bass (not the warmth). Easy/definite rec for $50 for bass lover (is not a dark set per se but sub bass elevation is well featured here)

Sep 29, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #491 of 1,725
So, one major plus to the Mele is there is significantly less hiss than all other IEMs I've tried.
(Remember, hiss is not directly related to impedance or sensitivity: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/is-...y-more-influential-in-hiss-for-an-iem.915705/)

To test this out I used a Nintendo Switch headphone jack which has a ridiculous amount of hiss. It was still there on the Mele but at most half of what I got out of my other IEMs. Very tolerable. This makes the Mele a great option for a beginner IEM if you don't want to buy any other dongle or adapter or especially DAC/AMP to run it.

Sep 29, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #493 of 1,725
Anyone can answer by experience :

Which is best in Mid, Vocal area, Timbre natural, & more organic :

Tanchjim Tanya, Moondrop Quarks, or Mele ?
Mele, 👍

Quarks have a metallic timbre,

Sep 30, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #495 of 1,725
My Mele impressions:

Build quality is absolutely astounding for the price. The metal shell feels premium, the details and the little HBB logo are tasteful. The faceplate is very pretty.

It's super light and you don't feel it weighing on your ears. It will comfortably fit smaller ears with no problem. I am getting a white one for my gf who complained that L3 was too big for her ears. The L3 is not a big iem in my book.

Now for sound. The overall tuning is very mature, bass is impactful and sub bass is delightful. Kick drums and electric guitars sound great. Mids are clear and detailed. Timbre is very good. Everything sounds natural. Treble is smooth and there is no harshness on any tracks, even sibilant ones. Resolution is good and for the price you get a lot.

This said, as with most single DD iems in the price bracket, you can't have it all. Where Mele could improve is more energy and extension in treble. Upper frequencies can sound a bit less present when compared with multi driver (and more expensive) iems.

I compared Mele to UrbanFun YSS and ThieAudio L3. Mele and UF are more similar than different. Sub bass rumbles deeper on Mele. Mid bass is a touch more impactful on UF (it's a bass monster) but mids and timbre are better on Mele. Treble is a wash. Mele form factor is far superior and the use of 2pin connectors allows for easy cable swapping. I didn't try the stock cable but it looks and feels nice.

Compared to L3, Mele wins by its more natural timbre but L3 is much more detailed and well extended. L3 sounds a tiny bit shoutier in comparison given the BA timbre. It's not really a fair comparison as L3 is more than double the price.

Overall a very solid buy and would be great for smooth, casual listening on the go.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back