Tripowin x HBB: Mele/Olina - Discussion Thread - Olina OUT now
Sep 3, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #301 of 1,725
Sep 3, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #302 of 1,725
sure,
list them here,
what are your current source?
phone, dap,
My current source is an early 2013 MBP 13 inch, running out from the built-in 3.5 jack. Nothing fancy :)
Genres I usually listen to most often is pop/kpop. Somtimes or very rarely some soul/classical/EDM.

Can you test how the bass sounds on this track ?
Is it clean, precise, impactful without being all over the place/muddy/covering other stuff? And how’s the vocal? Is it too hidden, present as perceivable or overall balanced?

And also this track
How’s the vocal? Does the timbre sound realistic/accurate (according to your standards)? Does it sound spacious in any sense?

Another 2 tracks, and
For the first track, is the Mele able to handle the beat? Is it precise/fast? Does it provide the necessary punch? And how’s the texture of the bass, if there’s any?
Second track, when the chorus comes in. Does it sound messy/congested (cause imo, it sounds kinda 'that one place' meaning no separation whatsoever when using a cheap earbud)? How’s the vocal? Does it sound energetic? Any sibilances/harshness for both the tracks?

Last but not least,
How does the pluck of the guitar sound on the Mele? Since it’s a single DD, I expect some level of right timbre for the guitar. Is the male vocal textured?

Thanks in advance :D

Sep 4, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #303 of 1,725
My current source is an early 2013 MBP 13 inch, running out from the built-in 3.5 jack. Nothing fancy :)
Genres I usually listen to most often is pop/kpop. Somtimes or very rarely some soul/classical/EDM.

Can you test how the bass sounds on this track ?
Is it clean, precise, impactful without being all over the place/muddy/covering other stuff? And how’s the vocal? Is it too hidden, present as perceivable or overall balanced?

And also this track
How’s the vocal? Does the timbre sound realistic/accurate (according to your standards)? Does it sound spacious in any sense?

Another 2 tracks, and
For the first track, is the Mele able to handle the beat? Is it precise/fast? Does it provide the necessary punch? And how’s the texture of the bass, if there’s any?
Second track, when the chorus comes in. Does it sound messy/congested (cause imo, it sounds kinda 'that one place' meaning no separation whatsoever when using a cheap earbud)? How’s the vocal? Does it sound energetic? Any sibilances/harshness for both the tracks?

Last but not least,
How does the pluck of the guitar sound on the Mele? Since it’s a single DD, I expect some level of right timbre for the guitar. Is the male vocal textured?

Thanks in advance :D

Well, considering I have no idea what you're coming from going to the Mele I have taken the liberty to compare it to my current daily driver-the Anole VX. Here are my thoughts... but TL;DR: The Mele is absolutely good enough for your library and perhaps even perfect for it if you don't listen to many songs like the first one..

------------------------

SLANDER - Love Is Gone

Less bass impact and rumble. Not detailed enough to pick up all the notes the piano plays starting at (2:48). The balance of the vocals and instruments is balanced and fine.

Even though there is less bass impact and rumble I would say there is enough for this song and unless you are OCD about details needing to hear every single one of those piano notes I think the Mele is honestly fine for this song. The Mele gets you at least 85% in comparison with the VX.

Coldplay - Fix You

This song doesn't have good recording quality.. I could nitpick and say something like you will might miss some of the cymbal hits as the vocals get re-introduced at (3:32) but honestly it's super fine and the Mele will get you to at least 97% of this song in comparison with the VX.

"How’s the vocal? Does the timbre sound realistic/accurate (according to your standards)? Does it sound spacious in any sense?"

Vocals and timbre are re-played with near perfect accuracy considering the recording quality of the song. The song doesn't sound (any more) spacious on even open-back headphones so I think the Mele is fine in terms of spacious-ness here.

BLACKPINK - How You Like That

This song also doesn't have good recording quality.. I could nitpick and say it's missing some bass impact and rumble but it's good enough for the recording quality of the song and the Mele gets you at least 95% in comparison with the VX.

BLACKPINK - Lovesick Girls

Another song with poor recording quality.. Again, nitpicking would be saying the bass could be more impactful and rumbling but since there's less bass than the previous song I would say the Mele gets you at least 97% in comparison with the VX.

"is the Mele able to handle the beat? Is it precise/fast? Does it provide the necessary punch? And how’s the texture of the bass, if there’s any?
Second track, when the chorus comes in. Does it sound messy/congested (cause imo, it sounds kinda 'that one place' meaning no separation whatsoever when using a cheap earbud)? How’s the vocal? Does it sound energetic?"

Considering the poor recording quality of these songs I would say the Mele is easily able to re-play them with near perfect accuracy.

"Any sibilances/harshness for both the tracks?"

No. (The Mele is a warm+dark IEM in general so you're not going to get much, if any, sibilance or harshness even on songs where it is present)

John Mayer - Slow Dancing in a Burning Room

Oh.. another song with poor recording quality.. not even anything to nitpick about here. The Mele gets you to 100% in comparison with the VX.

"How does the pluck of the guitar sound on the Mele? Since it’s a single DD, I expect some level of right timbre for the guitar. Is the male vocal textured?"

Pluck of the guitar and texture of the male vocal is re-played with perfect accuracy on the Mele considering the poor recording quality of the song.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #304 of 1,725
Alright I see I see! So it seems like Mele is about right for pop genre :relieved:
@darkgod5 Thanks you so so much for the evaluation of Mele with my given tracks :D
Also, my current earphone is the 3.5mm apple earpod that came with an iphone :sweat_smile: So it seems like Mele is a fine upgrade over that, will need to read more reviews about it though.

Sep 4, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #305 of 1,725
Alright I see I see! So it seems like Mele is about right for pop genre :relieved:
@darkgod5 Thanks you so so much for the evaluation of Mele with my given tracks :D
Also, my current earphone is the 3.5mm apple earpod that came with an iphone :sweat_smile: So it seems like Mele is a fine upgrade over that, will need to read more reviews about it though.
Oh the Mele will absolute be a very noticeable upgrade over that. In that case, ignore ALL my comments about bass impact and rumble as it will have significantly more rumble and impact and just general quality than your current setup. Read up more about tone because, like I mentioned, the Mele is warm+dark and perhaps your earpod is more on the bright side. (I'm not sure where earpods lean today but I recall back in the day they were bright..) IMO, though, if the Mele is your first audiophile set you will adjust to the tone and again, IMO, most people prefer a warm+dark tone anyway.

Sep 4, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #306 of 1,725
Oh the Mele will absolute be a very noticeable upgrade over that. In that case, ignore ALL my comments about bass impact and rumble as it will have significantly more rumble and impact and just general quality than your current setup. Read up more about tone because, like I mentioned, the Mele is warm+dark and perhaps your earpod is more on the bright side. (I'm not sure where earpods lean today but I recall back in the day they were bright..) IMO, though, if the Mele is your first audiophile set you will adjust to the tone and again, IMO, most people prefer a warm+dark tone anyway.
Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 2.06.06 PM.png

This is the FR of the earpod I'm using and there's like no bass under 100Hz 😂

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #307 of 1,725

This is the FR of the earpod I'm using and there's like no bass under 100Hz 😂
it's night and day different,
you will cry with the right song & moment,

to accompany the Mele, I highly suggest you to get the apple dongle,
it pretty much all you need for under $100,

it's amazing how well this little thing sounds againts some more expensive option,

Screenshot_20210904-132915296 (1).jpg

Sep 4, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #308 of 1,725
Sep 4, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #309 of 1,725
oh,
I almost forgot,

lastly, try to listen to a different kinds of music,
the one that maybe you hate or you didn't know about,
the Mele might be introduce you to a whole new music universe,

it's a great journey.

Sep 4, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #310 of 1,725
My current recommendation for you is:
- get the Mele without cable upgrade,
- ask around on the cable thread for a cable that match your preference, color, how many core, the thickness, etc,
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/low-end-cheap-generic-otherwise-bang-for-buck-cable-thread.891911/
- buy this eartips, Azla Crystal & Radius Deep Mount,
- buy an apple dongle,

total cost is maybe around $80,
is a recipe for happiness,
Is it necessary to upgrade the cable? I think it looks fine as long as it doesn't kink itself in crazy ways (like the Aria) :thinking:
And why the eartips? Does the included one not work?
There's like an apple dongle laying around, but it's only for iphones (my family members use iphones) and I use an Android unfortunately :frowning2:
Hopefully I can find a type C one though..

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #312 of 1,725
Is it necessary to upgrade the cable? I think it looks fine as long as it doesn't kink itself in crazy ways (like the Aria) :thinking:
And why the eartips? Does the included one not work?

No, stock cable is fine. If you are on a tight budget, don't even think about it.
Tips are personal and affect sound. Everyone has different ears, different perceptions. For instance, for me the stock tips don't fit or seal, they are too small. For other people they might be great.
Think of tips like underwear. Everyone likes different form factors, different materials, different feels.

Also, I can't stress this enough, as @Strifeff7 already said: dont use your MBA audio jack. Buy an USB-C Apple dongle for 8 bucks, it will take you places. It has an integrated DAC that will do the job and it's one of the best 8$ spent on this hobby. If your computer doesnt have a type C port, you might also get a cheap USB C to A adaptor and you'll be set!

Thanks for taking your time for comparitions, @darkgod5, I was sleeping (EU Timezone) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #313 of 1,725
No, stock cable is fine. If you are on a tight budget, don't even think about it.
Tips are personal and affect sound. Everyone has different ears, different perceptions. For instance, for me the stock tips don't fit or seal, they are too small. For other people they might be great.
Think of tips like underwear. Everyone likes different form factors, different materials, different feels.

Also, I can't stress this enough, as @Strifeff7 already said: dont use your MBA audio jack. Buy an USB-C Apple dongle for 8 bucks, it will take you places. It has an integrated DAC that will do the job and it's one of the best 8$ spent on this hobby. If your computer doesnt have a type C port, you might also get a cheap USB C to A adaptor and you'll be set!

Thanks for taking your time for comparitions, @darkgod5, I was sleeping (EU Timezone) :thumbsup:
Alright! Sure I will definitely buy a dongle if I do buy the Mele :)
(the analogy with underwear though :joy:)

Sep 4, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #314 of 1,725
My Mele has landed. It's reached the UK, so in a few days I shall have it. Going to start by using a TRi Through cable and maybe some Azla Sedna Earfits, or Xelastecs. They should suit my library.....hopefully I'll get a good set. HBB must be very involved with these as little is going up on his site. They are really keenly priced. I'll compare to the iBasso it00, YBF ISS014, ISN D02, and other sub $80 sets. People should start getting their sets soon and we will learn more about them daily.

Sep 4, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #315 of 1,725
My Mele has landed. It's reached the UK, so in a few days I shall have it. Going to start by using a TRi Through cable and maybe some Azla Sedna Earfits, or Xelastecs. They should suit my library.....hopefully I'll get a good set. HBB must be very involved with these as little is going up on his site. They are really keenly priced. I'll compare to the iBasso it00, YBF ISS014, ISN D02, and other sub $80 sets. People should start getting their sets soon and we will learn more about them daily.

Glad to hear that! Hope you enjoy them!

HBB as been clear that he's being silent on purpose. The same purpose he didn't sent reviewers samples yet. He wants a Blon factor. Customers buy it, enjoy it, talk about it, then the video avalanche comes out.

Lots of other people already gave more impressions on Mele's official thread, but I've been too busy with work stuff and new IEMs to keep them up here.

I'm pretty sure in one or two weeks, this will be floaded with opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back