oh, yeah,

Sep 1, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #212 of 1,725
Now we know that the Mele have a less resolution and separation than the Dusk,

is it a fair comparison ?
being single DD vs multi BA,
one could argue,

but, is it a valid useful information ?
oh, yeah,

Yeah. It also has less resolution than mangird tea, variations and tsmr land.

Sep 1, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #213 of 1,725
Now we know that the Mele have a less resolution and separation than the Dusk,

is it a fair comparison ?
being single DD vs multi BA,
one could argue,

but, is it a valid useful information ?
oh, yeah,
It is useful information, but there will be unit variation and some will have QC problems, so we will need to see more comments and even more reviews so that we know it's not that particular one unit is how a 'Mele' sounds. I certainly agree, the more info we have the better. 'One swallow doesn't make a summer' is the old saying though.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #214 of 1,725
There is nothing wrong in comparing 2 sets with different price bracket, or driver configuration,

information is information,
more of it, is better for the community,

you want to compare $50 sets vs $500 ?
go on, it's okay,
You are absolutely right - nothing wrong with the comparison. But what is being called out is that, beyond personal taste (and, well, that is everything in this game!) it is unlikely that a $50 iem will perform better against the general class of $500 IEMs. Of course, there may be some horrible pieces of $500 trash that can get trounced by a $50 surprise. As my dad used to tell me, ANY team CAN beat any other team on any given Sunday…. just don’t make a habit of betting on it.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #215 of 1,725
It is useful information, but there will be unit variation and some will have QC problems, so we will need to see more comments and even more reviews so that we know it's not that particular one unit is how a 'Mele' sounds. I certainly agree, the more info we have the better. 'One swallow doesn't make a summer' is the old saying though.

Sorry for singling you out here but while there are tolerances for overall frequency response (including db's of imperceptible channel imbalance), it's exceedingly rare that one IEM will be tuned completely differently from another of the same except in the case where a driver is just plain not working. In this particular IEM there is only one driver so that solves that.

On the topic of treble spiciness, I've highlighted the issue and can confirm with EQ that that spike around 10k is causing unpleasantness in the upper treble on tracks such as the La Campanella violin rendition I linked before. It also appears the dip around 6k is what's causing cymbals to lose their 'oomph':

mele_treble.png

Interestingly, it appears the Sony Z1R is also tuned this way but with an even bigger spike leading past 10k and when I read other people's impressions they do mention treble spiciness with the Z1R.

So if your library contains upper treble (which older recorded rock and roll and heavy metal tracks won't) it would be a good idea to either avoid or EQ.

Sep 1, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #216 of 1,725
Sorry for singling you out here but while there are tolerances for overall frequency response (including db's of imperceptible channel imbalance), it's exceedingly rare that one IEM will be tuned completely differently from another of the same except in the case where a driver is just plain not working. In this particular IEM there is only one driver so that solves that.

On the topic of treble spiciness, I've highlighted the issue and can confirm with EQ that that spike around 10k is causing unpleasantness in the upper treble on tracks such as the La Campanella violin rendition I linked before. It also appears the dip around 6k is what's causing cymbals to lose their 'oomph':

mele_treble.png

Interestingly, it appears the Sony Z1R is also tuned this way but with an even bigger spike leading past 10k and when I read other people's impressions they do mention treble spiciness with the Z1R.

So if your library contains upper treble (which older recorded rock and roll and heavy metal tracks won't) it would be a good idea to either avoid or EQ.
Folks, this is the perfect blend of subjectivism and objectivism…. Subjectively the listener knows there is something they do not like. The listener then measures objectively, which then allows them to target EQ to their taste.

Sep 1, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #217 of 1,725

mele_treble.png

Im sure we need to get a variety of comments and reviews to make a judgement on an IEM. That's OK though, to look at different reviews and comments. That's pretty normal. There are many Chi-Fi IEMs that have had unit variability and QC problems. The Ybf-iss014 and more recently the geekworld GK10, so it not unusual and it's OK. We can choose not to purchase. Of course there are often fit differences, ear anatomy differences, different tips, let alone all the subjective differences. When I get my set next week and comment I will be one of many different comments and viewpoints. I've already seen reviews and comments different to yours. But 'one swallow doesn't make a summer'. Thanks for your opinion of it though...it's good to have many opinions.

Sep 1, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #218 of 1,725
I absolutely agree you shouldn't just listen to the opinion of one person. But to jump to the assumption that the person "just got a bad set" because you disagree with their opinion is just as asinine a take, IMO. Yes, there are certainly QC issues with tech, especially Chifi. But, aside from a few products, they are exceedingly rare.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #219 of 1,725
I absolutely agree you shouldn't just listen to the opinion of one person. But to jump to the assumption that the person "just got a bad set" is just as asinine a take, IMO. Yes, there are certainly QC issues with tech, especially Chifi. But, aside from a few products, they are exceedingly rare.
No point extending this, but it may be you have some unit variability. Maybe you can check out a different set. I only say that because others have said different to you. When I get my set I may well agree with you. I have had poor versions of some well reviewed IEM's, they were clearly different to most of the sets others had. We are all subjectively different though anyway. I would disagree that they are rare though. I reckon they are quite common. Anyway we are all trying to enjoy our music so I wish you enjoyment and happiness.

Sep 1, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #220 of 1,725
As I said before, you might have gotten a bad seed.

Please don't compare dusk to Mele. Different drivers, different price bracket, different target.

I could easly say that Mele's timbre and coherency is much better than Dusk, but I wont because its DD vs Hibrid.

Just stop this. I value your opinion, but the comparition is stupid.

Put it on sale, theres almost 2k ppl waiting that will help you with them. Might even get a profit! :)

Ps: if its golden and you're on eu, I'll pay you full price right now :)

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #221 of 1,725
"No point extending this"

"Please don't"

"Just stop"

Noted. Enjoy your IEM guys.

Sep 1, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #222 of 1,725
"No point extending this"

"Please don't"

"Just stop"

Noted. Enjoy your IEM guys.
I believe none of these comments are supposed to undervaluate your opinion and I sorry you feel that way.

I can see the point in comparsions with the reference points (even with dusk) - it might be useful for people like me, who already own some good stuff, and looking for a joy in a good looking budget gems.

But its not very helpful for the larger audience which, I believe, would only benefit from more direct comparsions, like Blons / Aria, or something around this price.
There's no reson to expect an entry level IEM to actually compete with the 300$ bracket holder.

Sep 1, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #223 of 1,725
First impressions listening out of Chord Mojo.

Great frequency response, very smooth and coherent with an overall warm tone. No troubling frequencies that I can pick up. Bass is nice and thick but may lack some definition. Soundstage is not that wide. Included cable is absolutely fine.

Overall I think people will really like these.

this is a great shortened version of my previous thoughts. great value, very easy to enjoy, just keep your expectations realistic when it comes to raw technical ability. expectations can be your best or worst friend in this hobby.

Sep 1, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #224 of 1,725
Does the Melee sound "thicker" in the mids? I thought the only problem with the Blon03's were when executin the mids too thinly.

The lz a7 has great mids (gold-monitor), but is kind of...picky with the source. So... is the Melee god with any source? And does it scalate well with dac/amp like the blon 03?

Sep 1, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #225 of 1,725
My guess is if you want to squeeze a bit more detail out of the Elite, the SPC upgrade cable will maybe put it over the line (maybe should come stock with the Elite, but grumble grumble). The aftermarket cable I got is better than the stock OFC, and from what others have said, the Empyrean's SQ most improves when paired with the bespoke Meze cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back