Tripowin x HBB: Mele/Olina - Discussion Thread - Olina OUT now
Sep 14, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #452 of 1,725
Good day fellas!
This'll probably be a bit to long, sorry in advance. P.s. it's not a Mele review, I'm asking for opinions.
My current favorite iems are the Blon 03. I really love them, but they have plenty of faults. When I first received them, I had very high expectations. Everyone was praising them and honestly I don't remember anyone ever pointing out anything bad about them. However as soon as I received them I regretted getting them (I changed my mind quickly, but was a bit disappointed at first, thought that they'd be made of gold with diamonds wrapped in a box of 1k dollar bills), because imo, instrument separation is.. pretty bad, clarity is bad, practically no "air", bass is a bit bloated, bass isn't deep enough. At least that was my first impression, compared to my previous iems. Now I love them, I really do, because of their great timber, bass is very good, even though I would want more at the low-low end, and less at around 200-300hz, I love that they don't have to much treble and I don't have sibilance problems with them (I'm ±treble sensitive). P.s. I'm rocking the mesh mod with 4*12mm of dried wet wipes in the nozzle. They have a decent soundstage, wide enough for me, but not nearly "tall" enough, and forward/backward could be better, imo.
Now I want an upgrade. I was looking at the Aria for a long time, but it is quite pricey for my wallet, and I should mention that I love deep bass. Looking at the graph, and reading reviews makes me believe it might be a bit lacking in bass for my taste, and might need extra accessories, which I don't want to get for an iem of that price, which is why I was waiting, hoping for something that might fit me better. Otherwise sounds like a great set. Never considered the HZSound Heart Mirror, I'm pretty sure it'll have to much treble for my taste. Now the Mele has entered the arena. I'm sure I'd love the sound signature, the bass looks good, the treble looks decent enough, not to much, reviews seem decent, but.. not everyone seems happy with them. From what I've read, I've created a mental picture, that says that the Aria are better in many ways (soundstage, clarity..), but less bass.. and love my thumping DD bass, tho Blon isn't deep enough, and to much mid bass.
I'm sure that the Mele are an overall upgrade to the Blons, but I keep thinking, what if the Arias are better, but with less bass quantity?
This post has been long enough, don't want to take up to much of your time, so I'll ask to test just one track.
Naptalan by The Evpatoria Report
This song has pretty much everything I'm interested in (no vocals tho, but that's ok), a bit of light bass, plenty of detailed highs, and plenty going on. I don't think Blon handles it well.
If @nymz (I've already asked you here, but you were busy, and I don't think you answered, didn't get a notification, couldn't find a reply), @AmericanSpirit (you've received your Mele, right? Could u link a review or comparison vs the Aria or Blon 03, if you've made one? Been busy, haven't been keeping track of the thread, but scrolled through and only found your short impressions), @dharmasteve (you have Blon and Mele, right? Your comparison on Soundstage, Imaging, Separation, Spaciousness and anything else would be greatly appreciated), @darkgod5 (I read your reviews on those other songs, easy to understand, comprehensive, would appreciate your opinion on how Mele handles Naptalan and everything going on in the song), and anyone else could listen to that song on Blon 03, Mele or Aria, and compare any of these, or just give their opinion on them (feel free to use other songs to prove your point), that would be greatly appreciated.
I'm looking for an upgrade from the Blon 03. To me, this song, along with may other songs of this genre, sound.. unclear, meshed together, just not right, I can't hear everything I want to hear (I know it can be better).
So I'm thinking of Mele vs Aria, or wait for something else. The thing is, if the Mele are just a bit better than Blon, while the Aria are a lot better in some things, while just having less bass.. I'd probably just listen to Hip-Hop, Lo-Fi, Jazz on Blon and more technical stuff on the Aria, instead of just moving to the Mele. However $20 difference in price is actually quite a lot in my country, and I don't intend to change cables or tip roll (only other tips I have are SpinFit CP-100 and from Sony MH755), and I don't like it when an iem is to light on bass.
P.s. I have a decent source, output power: 100mw at 32 Ohm load, so I don't really care how power hungry the iem is. I usually listen to Blon at 25-35 out of 100 volume.
P.s.2 sorry that it turned out so long, and for tagging u guys, and for repeating myself (pretty sure I did that somewhere in the text), and for strange, difficult to understand text formatting :)

Sorry double post.

Hi there
I prefer the Mele to the Moondrop Starfield, which some say is much like the Aria. The Starfield is nice if a little safe in it's tuning and I lose interest in listening after a while. Soundstage on the Mele is not bigger or wider than the Blon 03 and the bass is not as warm as the Blon 03. Bass has more impact and is firmer than the 03. Bass is good on the Mele. Mids are like the 03, excellent, treble lacks great extension or peaks, so will not cause you any sibilance or shrillness. Imaging is good as is separation on the Mele. To me, the Mele is better. I like it a lot. It is built like a proverbial 'brick outhouse', very light metal, and has a much better fit than the Blon 03. The timbre and tone of the 03 and Mele are both top notch.The cable looks fine, although I have put an $18 TRi cable on it, because I had it spare. Personally I think it would be hard to beat the Mele at the price and I am using it all the time at the moment. I would give it a rec, but in the IEM world there is always something better. I like the Blon 03 a lot, but I like the Mele more. HBB has done himself proud. Mele 9/10.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #453 of 1,725
Good day fellas!
This'll probably be a bit to long, sorry in advance. P.s. it's not a Mele review, I'm asking for opinions.
My current favorite iems are the Blon 03. I really love them, but they have plenty of faults. When I first received them, I had very high expectations. Everyone was praising them and honestly I don't remember anyone ever pointing out anything bad about them. However as soon as I received them I regretted getting them (I changed my mind quickly, but was a bit disappointed at first, thought that they'd be made of gold with diamonds wrapped in a box of 1k dollar bills), because imo, instrument separation is.. pretty bad, clarity is bad, practically no "air", bass is a bit bloated, bass isn't deep enough. At least that was my first impression, compared to my previous iems. Now I love them, I really do, because of their great timber, bass is very good, even though I would want more at the low-low end, and less at around 200-300hz, I love that they don't have to much treble and I don't have sibilance problems with them (I'm ±treble sensitive). P.s. I'm rocking the mesh mod with 4*12mm of dried wet wipes in the nozzle. They have a decent soundstage, wide enough for me, but not nearly "tall" enough, and forward/backward could be better, imo.
Now I want an upgrade. I was looking at the Aria for a long time, but it is quite pricey for my wallet, and I should mention that I love deep bass. Looking at the graph, and reading reviews makes me believe it might be a bit lacking in bass for my taste, and might need extra accessories, which I don't want to get for an iem of that price, which is why I was waiting, hoping for something that might fit me better. Otherwise sounds like a great set. Never considered the HZSound Heart Mirror, I'm pretty sure it'll have to much treble for my taste. Now the Mele has entered the arena. I'm sure I'd love the sound signature, the bass looks good, the treble looks decent enough, not to much, reviews seem decent, but.. not everyone seems happy with them. From what I've read, I've created a mental picture, that says that the Aria are better in many ways (soundstage, clarity..), but less bass.. and love my thumping DD bass, tho Blon isn't deep enough, and to much mid bass.
I'm sure that the Mele are an overall upgrade to the Blons, but I keep thinking, what if the Arias are better, but with less bass quantity?
This post has been long enough, don't want to take up to much of your time, so I'll ask to test just one track.
This song has pretty much everything I'm interested in (no vocals tho, but that's ok), a bit of light bass, plenty of detailed highs, and plenty going on. I don't think Blon handles it well.
If @nymz (I've already asked you here, but you were busy, and I don't think you answered, didn't get a notification, couldn't find a reply), @AmericanSpirit (you've received your Mele, right? Could u link a review or comparison vs the Aria or Blon 03, if you've made one? Been busy, haven't been keeping track of the thread, but scrolled through and only found your short impressions), @dharmasteve (you have Blon and Mele, right? Your comparison on Soundstage, Imaging, Separation, Spaciousness and anything else would be greatly appreciated), @darkgod5 (I read your reviews on those other songs, easy to understand, comprehensive, would appreciate your opinion on how Mele handles Naptalan and everything going on in the song), and anyone else could listen to that song on Blon 03, Mele or Aria, and compare any of these, or just give their opinion on them (feel free to use other songs to prove your point), that would be greatly appreciated.
I'm looking for an upgrade from the Blon 03. To me, this song, along with may other songs of this genre, sound.. unclear, meshed together, just not right, I can't hear everything I want to hear (I know it can be better).
So I'm thinking of Mele vs Aria, or wait for something else. The thing is, if the Mele are just a bit better than Blon, while the Aria are a lot better in some things, while just having less bass.. I'd probably just listen to Hip-Hop, Lo-Fi, Jazz on Blon and more technical stuff on the Aria, instead of just moving to the Mele. However $20 difference in price is actually quite a lot in my country, and I don't intend to change cables or tip roll (only other tips I have are SpinFit CP-100 and from Sony MH755), and I don't like it when an iem is to light on bass.
P.s. I have a decent source, output power: 100mw at 32 Ohm load, so I don't really care how power hungry the iem is. I usually listen to Blon at 25-35 out of 100 volume.
P.s.2 sorry that it turned out so long, and for tagging u guys, and for repeating myself (pretty sure I did that somewhere in the text), and for strange, difficult to understand text formatting :)
Honestly, for your requirements you can easily get Tennmak's offerings and be sorted for substantial time. Both their Pro and Trio models are cheap and within your budget. I feel Tennmak Trio with it's $27 price (without cable) is couple of notches above BL03. And if you don't want to spend much, Tennmak Pro (without cable) retails around $9-10 is very competent in nature. Only place where they lack or BL03 is better is probably presentation. Pro is very U-shaped whereas Trio with it's three filters better than Blons.

I don't have Mele because IMO I don't feel the need to to get a similar profile IEMs I already have MH750 and MH1 along with BL-03. I'm sure Mele might be world beaters as many impressions suggest but with your solid research I'd say that there's not much to gain when jumping from $50 to $100 price bracket as offerings in both price ranges lack in something or the other. It's all up to the compromises you decide to make.

Sep 14, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #454 of 1,725
Finally received my Mele today. My initial impressions are...

*Very happy with the looks and the build quality for the money. This was a blind buy so no complaints here.
*Accessories about right for the price although the included case is better quality than expected.
*Small form factor. Very Comfortable IEM. You could probably fall to sleep with these in your ears without any real discomfort.
*Easy to swap tips due to nozzle design and size.

Sound -Pros
*Pleasant tuning. Overall leaning towards warm & musical which tends to be my preference.
*Quite forgiving of poorly recorded tracks but at the same time shines and rewards you when playing well recorded tracks. Neat trick!
*Strong Bass presence. Not overpowering or overly bloated for my tastes and based on what I'm hearing very little bleed into the mids. Nice!
*Mids are slightly forward in the mix with decent body & note weight on the vocals. An intimate presentation if you will. Definitely not thin sounding.
*Treble is smooth without being too rolled off. No harshness or sibilance detected so far. Pretty much how I like my treble.
*Quite responsive to tip rolling so you fine tune the sound.

Sound - Cons
*Not as easy to drive as some of my other IEM's, although I would also say that they do respond well to a bit of extra power. Similar to the KBEAR Believe.
*Not the last word in resolution, although I didn't expect it at this price point. . Think musically engaging rather out and out analytical and you are on the right track.
*Imaging and Soundstage is only average at best. Can sound a bit congested at times in busy passages.

Conclusion

*Overall there's not much to dislike about the Mele and it's an easy recommend for me the money unless you happen to prefer IEM's that are more brightly tuned and treble focused.

Sep 14, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #455 of 1,725
I'm looking for an upgrade from the Blon 03. To me, this song, along with may other songs of this genre, sound.. unclear, meshed together, just not right, I can't hear everything I want to hear
Very close feelings with the Mele. Due to the poor treble extension cymbal crashes feels too soft and too fast decayed, stage is also not great. I feel like it's not the best IEM for the complex genres (like progressive / death metal or some instrumental rock).

But if you look at it from another prespective it's, I'd say, suits well with smooth vocal-centric or synthetic music. Personally I like it the most with the ethnic metal and lounge.

It's for sure upgrade over the BL03 (especially in the bass speed) but I'm afraid you will still keep wanting more.

Sep 14, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #456 of 1,725
Honestly, for your requirements you can easily get Tennmak's offerings and be sorted for substantial time. Both their Pro and Trio models are cheap and within your budget. I feel Tennmak Trio with it's $27 price (without cable) is couple of notches above BL03. And if you don't want to spend much, Tennmak Pro (without cable) retails around $9-10 is very competent in nature. Only place where they lack or BL03 is better is probably presentation. Pro is very U-shaped whereas Trio with it's three filters better than Blons.

I don't have Mele because IMO I don't feel the need to to get a similar profile IEMs I already have MH750 and MH1 along with BL-03. I'm sure Mele might be world beaters as many impressions suggest but with your solid research I'd say that there's not much to gain when jumping from $50 to $100 price bracket as offerings in both price ranges lack in something or the other. It's all up to the compromises you decide to make.
Thanks for the answer, but idk. I do love my bass, but I specifically want it to be deep and low (like 5-50hz), and not creep onto the mids. Also, I am a bit treble sensitive, but that doesn't mean I don't love my treble. Having read some reviews and comments on the Pro, it seems that most agree that it's bass invades on the mids quite a bit, and lacks treble. That's not really something I want.. I couldn't find any good frequency graphs, but if what google shows is even remotely true, then that'd mean I'd have to do quite a bit of EQing to remove all that extra at 200-500hz, and add a lot of treble (and adding treble via EQ is such a long and tiresome task).
The Trio seems way to expensive to go in basically blind (not many info on it, no graphs..). I found the Pro version on Ali for $13 without cable, and it just so happens that I have a cheap new mmcx cable that I bought ages ago and never even opened it. So depending on whether there's a discount on 11.11, I might get them, as extras, but not to replace my initial plan of upgrading to Mele or Aria (unless I choose not to upgrade, that is). Could I ask you to compare some songs on the Pros and Blon, and some other questions later in DM, not to go too off topic here?
Edit: just a note, that so far the only earphones with which I didn't want to lower the 250hz range were Sony MH755 (750 are the same, I think). Mine broke, which is very sad since I really loved them for casual listening, would get them again if there weren't fakes left and right

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #457 of 1,725
Thanks for the answer, but idk. I do love my bass, but I specifically want it to be deep and low (like 5-50hz), and not creep onto the mids. Also, I am a bit treble sensitive, but that doesn't mean I don't love my treble. Having read some reviews and comments on the Pro, it seems that most agree that it's bass invades on the mids quite a bit, and lacks treble. That's not really something I want.. I couldn't find any good frequency graphs, but if what google shows is even remotely true, then that'd mean I'd have to do quite a bit of EQing to remove all that extra at 200-500hz, and add a lot of treble (and adding treble via EQ is such a long and tiresome task).
The Trio seems way to expensive to go in basically blind (not many info on it, no graphs..). I found the Pro version on Ali for $13 without cable, and it just so happens that I have a cheap new mmcx cable that I bought ages ago and never even opened it. So depending on whether there's a discount on 11.11, I might get them, as extras, but not to replace my initial plan of upgrading to Mele or Aria (unless I choose not to upgrade, that is). Could I ask you to compare some songs on the Pros and Blon, and some other questions later in DM, not to go too off topic here?
Edit: just a note, that so far the only earphones with which I didn't want to lower the 250hz range were Sony MH755 (750 are the same, I think). Mine broke, which is very sad since I really loved them for casual listening, would get them again if there weren't fakes left and right
Sure we can chat in DM. Also, Pro has had a revision in 2016 and most reviews were are for the first version. Using wide bore tips with Pro is the best way to get best out of them as it streamlines the bass. Also, they have a long nozzle so treble might just fine for you IMO.

But, Blon is better in timbre and overall presentation. Pro has better low end and better usability+comfort. At half the cost, it's not much of a competition but more of a complimentary IEM.

Sep 14, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #459 of 1,725
If you're focused on female vocals or pop, I'd go for the Aria. I haven't heard that set myself, but Moondrop consistently excels in that area and normally follows its own VDSF target (which is a modified Harman curve). That set has a ton of reviews within your budget.
Yeah,I agree. For under $100 the Aria is going to be a great buy for vocals and an all-arounder.

Sep 14, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #460 of 1,725
Good day fellas!
I can give my opinion on blon bl01 Vs aria, I believe the bl01 is as good if not better than the 03, same timbre but better detailed imo, the aria's have less bass, but it's a Better balance and cleaner and not bloated like the blon's, And of course you could eq or turn bass up depending on your source but I think they have just the right amount, mids and highs blow the blon's out the water, better sound stage, better details, vocals and guitars etc all sound cleaner and more natural, Tbh their is no comparison, The aria's are a clear step up, and they suit many genres of music as well, great all rounder. Not tried the mele but theirs a comparison video on youtube that says the aria is superior, and I believe that is more than likely the case.

Sep 14, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #461 of 1,725
I can give my opinion on blon bl01 Vs aria, I believe the bl01 is as good if not better than the 03, same timbre but better detailed imo, the aria's have less bass, but it's a Better balance and cleaner and not bloated like the blon's, And of course you could eq or turn bass up depending on your source but I think they have just the right amount, mids and highs blow the blon's out the water, better sound stage, better details, vocals and guitars etc all sound cleaner and more natural, Tbh their is no comparison, The aria's are a clear step up, and they suit many genres of music as well, great all rounder. Not tried the mele but theirs a comparison video on youtube that says the aria is superior, and I believe that is more than likely the case.

It's hard to say which one is superior when iems are in similar price bracket, and neither of them are obvious under-performers.

It's more a game of tradeoffs and your own most-boxes-ticked situation.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #463 of 1,725
Post #359 update:

It can be the 3 weeks burn-in, my ears getting familiar to the Mele or maybe the following combo chosen tonight for my listening session, but the lower registers now represent exactly what I could call « my dope » in terms of bass reproduction as far as recreative listening goes :

4B456C9B-EA45-45AF-ADF5-2BAF5554C66D.jpeg

Fantastic combo indeed.

Sep 18, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #464 of 1,725
IMG_20210917_142628-01.jpeg
I have to say, my OOB impressions of these were pretty negative, great tuning of the bass and mids but really compressed soundstage (no height, width OR depth) and dynamics, barely better than mh755 and about on par with VK4 (with worse dynamics), and definitely no BL03.

Luckily they take to modding even better than the Blons, so for anyone who's worried they got stuck with a lemon and has the tinker gene, (self) help is at hand :wink:

Problem: the effing damper, as usual. It's like a brick wall with some holes drilled in it - take off the Mele's and you'll find about 12db+ of extra mids and a big chunk of treble waiting for you, way more than any one could possibly want, but it's clean and uncongested, clear, expansive etc, and whatever's going on with the DDs built in acoustic chambers is definitely working - my drivers seem perfectly matched, imaging is great (separation not so much, but it's a minor point).

Getting back to the original tuning (or a more mid centric one for people who prefer that) without crippling the technicalities again. EDIT (I needed more bass): Take 1 of these high density tuning cotton cylinders (or 1 - 1.5 - 2 low density filters if you want boosted upper mids) here
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPFyjrH and insert them into each nozzle, being careful to keep them correctly oriented, then find your narrowest bore tips (Sony style worked for me) and enjoy the results. The cylinders will stay in place through friction.

Now they're a Blon upgrade!

PS build quality and fit are fantastic, if they hadn't been I would have just chucked them in a drawer with all the other dead memes and moved on.

PPS it's worth picking up all 3 types of the tuning cotton, I used white low density, the black low density ones are new, I can't tell if they're any different but you may get even better results using those. The theory behind using foam over fabric is that it minimises reflections back into the shell.

PPPS Stock filter removal - use a safety pin to gently lever them off the nozzle, and store on a piece of baking parchment to preserve the glue

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #465 of 1,725
I've been using my Blon BL03s (mesh mod plus acoustic filters) for a good couple of months now, and just got the Meles about a week ago. From HBB's description of his goals for this set, which is basically to produce something like an improved BL03 addressing some of its more obvious problems, it's hard for me to conclude anything other than that it's a major success, with one slight drawback.

I love the bass rumble of the Blons and just the warmth and tastiness of the sound but did feel like it got a bit sloppy at times, although the mesh mod did help with some of the mid and treble detail I felt was a little lacking. Sometimes I felt like the sparkle was missing in the trebles, like particularly pieces with a lot of celestas or xylophones or triangles, that kind of thing. These are the things I think are most dramatically improved with the Meles. Still have good bass rumble (although less than the Blons) but without the sloppiness when music got too hectic. I do miss the extra rumble when I listen to rap, but the tradeoff in clarity and detail is worth it for most of my library, especially with some of the classical music I've been listening to lately (I've been on a Prokofiev and Verdi kick). These are cleaner and brighter than the Blons, but perhaps there's a tradeoff there too with the warmth and the fun of the Blons.

Don't have much else to compare it to. I did have a Moondrop Starfield for a weekend (bought it at the same time as the Blons) but I thought they lacked bass and didn't like them much and returned them. I have some MH755's but I don't think they're competitive with the Blons or Meles. I'm pretty sensitive to sharp treble but I haven't had any issues with my Meles yet with that, even with listening to a lot of violin repertoire where sharp treble is mostly a problem for me. They sound great reproducing soprano singers in the Verdi I've been listening to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back