TripleFi Reshell vs. UE 4 Pro Custom vs. UE 1 Pro Custom
Oct 6, 2012 at 11:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

andyhan

New Head-Fier
I was thinking of reshelling my TF10 but I figured that I could also buy the cheapest UE customs.
How do they sound compared to the TF10? Better? Worse?

Oct 7, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #2 of 7
UE1Pro is only a one sided custom for professional use. I suggest you not to consider them.

Oct 7, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #5 of 7
Well the UE4 is a dual armature compared to TF10's triple armature. Personally I think the TF10 is a great IEM and with the exception of the muted mids (which some people may or may not like), and based off the impressions of others they're probably better than any other custom in the same price range (~$300.) You might want to look at other, more competent top tier IEMs rather than a low end custom as you have to be dead certain you're going to love the sound signature of a custom, as there's no going back (without incurring large losses.) Seeing as you already own the TF10, if you like the sound signature then by all means get it put into a custom shell. Otherwise I'd recommend looking for a more competent universal (not that the TF10's aren't already great.) Oh, and according to my friend the mids get brought forwards a little by a reshell.

Oct 7, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 7
When I lost my Etymotic 4p's I bought the TF-10's. I could not wear the TF-10's -- too uncomfortable. I sent them to InEarz (Fisher Hearing) in Lake Mary, FL. (Now in Sanford, FL). I was pleased that they came back in a way that I could wear for long periods of time. They sounded great to me for a while but as I listened more and more I noted some problems. First, there is a channel imbalance slightly to the left. This may be me, it may be the TF-10's. I bought an amp with a balance control. That corrects the issue but I need to fiddle with it each time I use it. Then I noticed a "papery" quality to the midrange. I know of no better way to describe it. I replaced the cable with a silver cable from Audio Lounge (aka ChrisHimself). Ted makes a superior sounding cable. You need to be careful with it and it has microphonics but a plantronics clip and proper routing and that was taken care of. Sometimes, on some recordings, they sound spooky-real. They rarely fail to impress me and I am mostly happy. I have ordered the Heir 8a. Why? Did you ever see the original "Outer Limits" episode called "The 6th Finger"? Original air date October 14, 1963. It's too hard to describe but I want to push the lever all the way forward but this is what I can afford. I will couple it to a Fostex HP-1P if the balance is correct. This is getting expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back