Triplefi 10 question, about to pull the trigger
Dec 21, 2011 at 1:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Audio-Phile

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,  I'm new here, just signed up actually.  It's a relief to find a group of people that actually care as much as I do about sound, and it seems the Triplefi 10s are well liked here, so I just wanted to ask a quick question before I potentially pull the trigger on a set from Amazon.  I woke up this morning to my V-Moda Fazes finally kicking it, it's only been a year and half so I was a little shocked.  One side is completely dead, even moving the cable in every direction does nothing.  I frequently sleep with them in (yes, I know, not always the best idea haha) and I did last night.  Never once did they ever cut out for even a second, last night either, but the one is completely dead now.  I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade for a while, and I guess this is it.  I'm not sure how many of you might have heard these, but I'm just looking for a comparison.  I know for the most part there is none, and the Triplefis will sound lightyears better, but I guess what I'm mainly concerned with is the bass response.  How strong and expansive would it be compared to the Fazes?  V-Moda claimed response down to 18 hz, and frankly after all this time I'm tempted to believe that, these things could go low.  Not necessarily clear but it was fairly tight, and there was, at least when they were new, a fairly strong punch to everything.  I do listen to almost every kind of music, but much of it is bass-heavy, or at the very least rely on it.  Am I going to be able to feel it from these the same way?  I'm not one of those guys that just cranks the bass constantly, although I did tend to set the EQ on my iPhone to Deep or Bass Booster because otherwise it was slightly under powered.  Either way, I'll end up with the Triplefis, as the price is unbeatable right now.  I just want to know if I have to change my expectations for the bass signature.  Thanks so much guys.

Dec 21, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 45
Not quite an answer, but a couple comments -

Triple Fi's can be extremely uncomfortable for some, such as myself.  If you get along with them though, they do sound great.

There was an Amazon sale for $94 about a month ago (Black Friday).  They are showing up in the FS forums near that price.  Keep an eye out!

Dec 21, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 45
Thanks,  I will!  I have heard that as well, and they do have a bigger shell, but I usually have been able to use almost anything, and it did take me a bit to break in the Fazes too, so I'll have to see how it goes either way.

Dec 21, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #4 of 45
I'm glad I found this thread. I'm about to purchase a pair myself, having given up the previous idea of cans since I wear glasses (several pairs of) and have no idea how compatible they will be. Currently listening to a pair of JVC FXT90s, and now looking for the next step up. I plan to use my Zune 120 + ZO2 V3 (when it arrives) with them.

Dec 21, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 45

Quote:
I'm glad I found this thread. I'm about to purchase a pair myself, having given up the previous idea of cans since I wear glasses (several pairs of) and have no idea how compatible they will be. Currently listening to a pair of JVC FXT90s, and now looking for the next step up. I plan to use my Zune 120 + ZO2 V3 (when it arrives) with them.

I wear glasses and they are absolutely fine with or without. I am one of those lucky ones who has a great fit with the TF10 - in fact, I can barely feel them when they're in my ears.

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 45
I've heard the mids can be a bit, maybe distant(?) with the TF10s, although many seem to think it sounds fine.  I do like my mids but I'm not crazy if the detail is there, can this V shape be EQ'd out a little bit?  I use the EQ all the time on my phone and computer to fix shortfalls, I'm guessing that will work fairly well here and that they would respond well to this.

Dec 21, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #8 of 45

Quote:
The mids are back there, hands down. But it all comes down to bonding with your IEM. After that, you'll enjoy the whole approach of TF10pro.

disagree, maybe there is something about the new models, but i don't find the mids to be recessed in mine at all. (fyi mine were the $95 amazon sale ones)

i have heard plenty of headphones with V shaped sound signatures, the CC51 and Audio Technica M50 come into mind, and the tf10's mids are nothing like them.
the mids are comprable to some headphones with neutral mids, soundmagic pl30, they sound recessed compared to forward phones like SRH440

ALSO, if you're coming from a vmoda IEM you will find the TF10's mids to be aggressive

Dec 21, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #9 of 45
TF10 is an awesome IEM in deed, but as mentioned above, the fit is not for everyone, those with small canals will find it extremely uncomfortable, and the mid can be too recessed for some people.

But the good thing is that, after market cables are available to buy, which will improve the sound (Null Audio, Chris_Himself), most of these cables will bring the mid more forward.

Nonetheless, the sound quality is just absolutely superb

Dec 21, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #10 of 45
No one has addressed his main question???

Coming from V-Moda and your desire for bass I would steer clear of TF10.  I think you will find it lacking and if you EQ it up it will tend to distort at louder volumes.  TF10 is not really bass lean but it is not even close to a bass heavy earphone either.  Get W3 instead.

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #11 of 45
I personally think the TF10 have plenty of bass. On bass heavy songs, it has a lot of impact and you can feel it go really low. I also have the image S4 which is a bass heavy IEM and I prefer the TF10's bass (and the rest of it's sound signature, also) to the S4's bass. Unless you're a basshead I'm pretty sure you'll like the TF10's bass as long as you get a good seal. 

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #12 of 45
I got my TF10's during the Amazon sale, and they definitely have recessed mids. Singers are a bit distant in the mix (if their voice is in the recessed range). Other than that, it was never a problem, and I'm sure it could be easily EQ'd.

The real problem is the comfort. To my ears, they were the most uncomfortable IEM's I've ever tried. It was as if my ears were being raped, and no amount of fiddling fixed it. I didn't try third party tips, but I did try all of the included tip sizes (including the scratchy as hell foamies). 

I'm having mine reshelled as we speak. 

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #13 of 45
I'm just saying if you are using V-Moda's with bass booster setting, you are probably a basshead and I personally wouldn't recommend.  But only the OP knows what he likes.

Dec 21, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #14 of 45

Quote:
disagree, maybe there is something about the new models, but i don't find the mids to be recessed in mine at all. (fyi mine were the $95 amazon sale ones)

i have heard plenty of headphones with V shaped sound signatures, the CC51 and Audio Technica M50 come into mind, and the tf10's mids are nothing like them.
the mids are comprable to some headphones with neutral mids, soundmagic pl30, they sound recessed compared to forward phones like SRH440

ALSO, if you're coming from a vmoda IEM you will find the TF10's mids to be aggressive

Quote:
No one has addressed his main question???

Coming from V-Moda and your desire for bass I would steer clear of TF10.  I think you will find it lacking and if you EQ it up it will tend to distort at louder volumes.  TF10 is not really bass lean but it is not even close to a bass heavy earphone either.  Get W3 instead.

Quote:
I'm just saying if you are using V-Moda's with bass booster setting, you are probably a basshead and I personally wouldn't recommend.  But only the OP knows what he likes.

Spyro, I thought about that, and that's what worried me at first.  But what I realized is similar to what jaqueh is saying...since the mids were barely there and the highs were so harsh on the V-Modas, I think I ended up blowing up the low end so much just to compensate.  I do remember plenty of times when I didn't want to have it like that due to the fact that there was distortion, but the highs were so harsh at any kind of volume level that I needed to drown them out a little.  And, blowing up the lows seemed to at least force an illusion of mids that they so badly needed.  So I figure, with the kind of detail and accuracy available with the TF10s, a little bit of EQ should be perfect and the bass will sound great.  I'm not really a basshead per se, I like it but I value accuracy and correctness of sound above anything.  So long as the songs that need it get it, I'll be happy.

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #15 of 45

Quote:

Spyro, I thought about that, and that's what worried me at first.  But what I realized is similar to what jaqueh is saying...since the mids were barely there and the highs were so harsh on the V-Modas, I think I ended up blowing up the low end so much just to compensate.  I do remember plenty of times when I didn't want to have it like that due to the fact that there was distortion, but the highs were so harsh at any kind of volume level that I needed to drown them out a little.  And, blowing up the lows seemed to at least force an illusion of mids that they so badly needed.  So I figure, with the kind of detail and accuracy available with the TF10s, a little bit of EQ should be perfect and the bass will sound great.  I'm not really a basshead per se, I like it but I value accuracy and correctness of sound above anything.  So long as the songs that need it get it, I'll be happy.

i really don't think that the triple.fi 10 or any headphone above $100 is something you should EQ, instead you should just try to appreciate what the engineers have tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back