Triplefi 10 question, about to pull the trigger
Dec 21, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #16 of 45

Quote:
I got my TF10's during the Amazon sale, and they definitely have recessed mids. Singers are a bit distant in the mix (if their voice is in the recessed range). Other than that, it was never a problem, and I'm sure it could be easily EQ'd.

The real problem is the comfort. To my ears, they were the most uncomfortable IEM's I've ever tried. It was as if my ears were being raped, and no amount of fiddling fixed it. I didn't try third party tips, but I did try all of the included tip sizes (including the scratchy as hell foamies). 

I'm having mine reshelled as we speak. 

i think that's soundstage more than anything

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #17 of 45
Yeah definitely, they have plenty of bass when you play songs meant to have bass in them. I'm listening to some dubstep right now and the bass has a great impact. I prefer the TF10's bass to my S4's bass because it's quality is a lot superior, while the S4 has an higher quantity.

I didn't try to EQ my TF10s because I find it's sound signature is perfect for EDM. 

Dec 21, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #18 of 45

Quote:
Yeah definitely, they have plenty of bass when you play songs meant to have bass in them. I'm listening to some dubstep right now and the bass has a great impact. I prefer the TF10's bass to my S4's bass because it's quality is a lot superior, while the S4 has an higher quantity.

I didn't try to EQ my TF10s because I find it's sound signature is perfect for EDM. 

Ok, perfect.  This is what I like to hear.  Looks like I'll be trying to get a pair soon.  Had a look around the classified section, every pair for sale is...sold haha.  So unless anyone has any left they'd like to get rid of, I guess it's Amazon for me.

Dec 21, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #19 of 45
newbie here jumping on this thread.

but i am in need of a new pair of headphones. at present i am looking at the TF10's and also some called the Atomic Floyd Superdarts, does anyone have experience with the latter and able to give a comparison.

i am coming from a set of etymotic ER.6i which i think were fairly good all rounders but lacking bass.

looking for something around the £200 mark ($300 ish)

i listen to a real variety of music, Rock, Metal, acoustic, dubstep.

any suggestions?
(to the OP sorry to hijack :$)

Dec 21, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #20 of 45
A search of the forums only brings this thread up.  Clieos thinks that they are close to TF10 and boast even more copious bass and treble than TF10.

Dec 21, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #21 of 45

Quote:
A search of the forums only brings this thread up.  Clieos thinks that they are close to TF10 and boast even more copious bass and treble than TF10.

thanks a lot for that help there. for some reason that thread didnt come up when i searched.

after having a quick look through that, i'm pretty sure they will do what i am looking for. will be sure to review them when they arrive.

out of interest, how much are the superdarts in the US? they are going to cost £200 here (about $315)

Dec 21, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #22 of 45
It is not available in the US yet.

Dec 21, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #23 of 45

Quote:
i really don't think that the triple.fi 10 or any headphone above $100 is something you should EQ, instead you should just try to appreciate what the engineers have tuned.

Not necessarily.  $5,000 stereo tuners and amps all have tone controls.

Without hearing what the engineers were hearing at the time of mixing you really have no idea how much treble or bass tone is supposed to be heard. [size=11pt](like any of us have any idea how it sounded in the mixing room)[/size]
[size=11pt] [/size]
I have no problem using EQ to shape the sound to my preference. After all, that is the sole reason I have an audio set-up: personal pleasure.

I could see EQ off or flat when using loudspeakers in a room but playback with microscopic IEM's shoved into your ear canals is a whole different scenario.

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #24 of 45

Quote:

Without hearing what the engineers were hearing at the time of mixing you really have no idea how much treble or bass tone is supposed to be heard. [size=11pt](like any of us have any idea how it sounded in the mixing room)[/size]
[size=11pt] [/size]
I have no problem using EQ to shape the sound to my preference. After all, that is the sole reason I have an audio set-up: personal pleasure.

I could see EQ off or flat when using loudspeakers in a room but playback with microscopic IEM's shoved into your ear canals is a whole different scenario.

well, i can definitely agree with that for speakers and external things, but with headphones i think its a different scenario because headphones are tuned in really specific ways

Dec 22, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #25 of 45

Quote:
i think that's soundstage more than anything

It's hard to pin down, but I don't think so. Voices that are higher (mostly female) don't recede into the background at all. I guess it would be easy enough to go "Man these have an amazing soundstage!" instead of "man, the mids are kind of recessed on these" though.

Edit: Not that the soundstage isn't great. It is, for IEM's. 

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #26 of 45
Yea, I love TF10 soundstage.  It is pretty open and expansive while being sort or intimate at the same time.  Very unique.  In contrast, the W3 is also open and expansive but sounds more distant.

Dec 22, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #27 of 45
Quote:
Yea, I love TF10 soundstage.  It is pretty open and expansive while being sort or intimate at the same time.  Very unique.  In contrast, the W3 is also open and expansive but sounds more distant.

That's encouraging! I had read less-flattering opinion on the TF10 soundstage.

I've got an eye out for deliveries today, if you know what I mean.

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #28 of 45

Quote:

[size=11pt] [/size]

That's kind of always been my belief as well, even though they have been tuned there is something to be said for tweaking the tone slightly to your own preference.  Nothing crazy, just small stuff, like bumping the mids for example on a TF10.

Dec 22, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #29 of 45
I've ordered a triplefi 10 from amazon, i have no concern about quality and sound but my biggest concern is about fit, i don't have chance to try it, i hope i can use it with no problem. By the way thanks for everyone in this forum, all these reviews and comments help me a lot.. Thank you guys really!

Dec 22, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #30 of 45

Quote:

yeah upon first listening to them i didn't think the soundstage was too great because it wasn't like my previous silver bullets, but now that my brain has burned in, i really do appreciate the soundstage it has, which is quite different from the silver bullet's soundstage, which is extremely expansive.

also on the silver bullets, some people say that the mids are recessed and others say that vocals are "placed in the back". mids on headphones with great soundstage really just comes down to preference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back