Triple-fi replacement cable - UE custom 48" cable
Apr 12, 2011 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

RichWhitfield

New Head-Fier
Hi,

does anyone know if the UE pre-Sept 2010 custom replacement cable (http://ultimateears.com/en-us/products/custom-accessories) fits triple-fis?  How would those cables alter the sound?

I know Westone cables are supposed to be good, but they need altering (albeit slightly) before they fit, and permanently alter the fit of the pins i.e. make the hole bigger so that UE pins no longer fit.

Cheers

Rich

Apr 12, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 10
I have the pre-sept 2010 replacement cable as well as the JH audio(which might be the same as the Westone cables) and the UE custom cable before they revised it. It seemed for a while the UE, JH Audio, and Westone cables were all the same. UE revised their cables for the better. I believe the UE replacement cables they're selling on their webpage now have a twisted 4 conductor design (2 signal, 2 ground), where as the rest have a twisted 3 conductor (2 signal, 1 ground). Also, the UE has a redesigned lead going into the ear pieces which is more durable than the JH Audio cables (prone to cracking there, had 3 cables cracked with minimal usage). The leads are all the same, too big for the triple-fi, but will fit. 

The cables for the customs sound more open. Although if you have the UE Triple-fi cable thats revised, has a wide right angle plug near the connector for the source, its really not bad at all. 

UE spent some time to redesign their cables in late 2010, prior they were using the same cable as JH and Westone it seems. 

Apr 12, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for that, I do have the UE cable with the right-angle jack and I do like the sound.  The main reason for wanting to change is the stiffness of the cable.  I think it would be much more comfortable with a softer wire.

Cheers

Apr 12, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 10
No Problem, the UE revised cable is more flexible for sure. The JH audio should be even more flexible due to less wires. Both have wire guides for the earpieces. The UE has a pretty long wire guide, the JH is a bit shorter.

Apr 14, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 10
If it is the same as the Westone cable then the gold wires on the end of the left and right cables (2 on each) have a very slightly larger diameter and they are a little too long.  Apparently the wires can be cut down by around 1mm then made to fit in.

Oct 5, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 10
When you say the "UE revised" cables, do you mean they revised the universal replacement cables or do you mean the post Sept-10 custom cables?
I need new cables as well and the stock cable's stiffness and memory definitely killed it for me, even though the sound was good, the wire just did it's own thing. I think mine broke because I was constantly pulling on it to straighten it out everytime I unravelled it to use it.

So, should I get the universal replacement cable or the custom pre Sept-10 replacement cable from UE?

Oct 14, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #8 of 10
Basically, I have a TF10 and need new cables. I was wondering if any of the custom cables (pre-sept?) would fit? I couldn't stand the original cables.

Jun 10, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #10 of 10
I know this is an old thread but I'm looking for a bit of help: My TF 10 cables suddenly died and I'm looking for budget but decent quality replacements. I don't need top of the line pure silver stuff because I have another pair of IEMs that I now use regularly but my TF 10s are my travel and backup earpieces
Can anyone recommend a cable? I think the UE Pre - 2010 cable is a candidate. Does the JH cable work as well or are the leads a little too big? Or any other decent cable? I've read the Fiio cable is a bit stiff and breaks after some time so I'm rather wary of that.
Thanks for the advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back