Triple Fi-ers, How do you get a good seal?
Dec 2, 2011 at 4:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

pancakeplease

100+ Head-Fier
The TF10s... no matter what I do I can't get a good seal. i tried all sizes and tips but I don't know if its the shape of the earpiece or what, it just won't seal. It sounds freaking amazing when I hold it with my fingers to artificially create the seal but if I let go, I don't get much isolation at all. I tried over the ear and straight down (which doesnt work at all). I tried switching the LEFT and RIGHT to get a better seal that way, didn't help. Tried the comply and the smaller tips. The comply tips seal nice but the sound is very muffled. It's too big. If I press in slightly, the sound is completely blocked like I'm wearing earplugs. 

The best tip was the smallest one of the bunch, as it allowed the earpiece to go deeper and settle but keeping that seal is nearly impossible. And I can't imagine what I would do when I'm moving around and stuff. 

Are there any cheap DIY or some adjustments I haven't considered yet? I def can't afford custom IEMs. 

Also, comply foam tips makes my ears itch its so weird. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 21
^ that and try to get some different size Comply tips and try them out.  I'm using the medium one they came with and its doing the job but the large ones I ordered will be here tomorrow or today man its late anyways / I know those will be better for me because I like a very tight seal and they expand nicely.  Its really just a case of trail an error of different tips tell you get the right ones.

Dec 2, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #4 of 21
i was in the same boat as you but using the comply tips sealed them in for me unless i move around a lot. they dont really itch for me. i tried flip flop and normal and both seal. the small ones only seal if i hold them in really and the rest are all too big.

I know i read that people liked the monster gel ones a lot. i just dont wanna throw away 20 bucks and get another bad fit and then end up getting customs anyway. =/

Dec 2, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #5 of 21
So I think it's not necessarily the tip size, it's more of the shape, curve and weight of the actual nozzle. I had these $50 Phillips IEMs that I picked up at like a Sam Goody's 3 years ago and they were the best earphones EVER in terms of comfort and fit. They pop in (not over the ear) and done. And the way the nozzle was bent, it was like a perfect 90 degree bend that allowed for the "elbow" to rest right on the cartilage of my ear so it was holding it in my ear. I could use small, medium or large silicon tips without any problem while doing sprints and powercleans in the gym lol. Didnt even budge. Too bad they broke. 

I think I may have figured out a way to get these in more sturdy. I think I spent the past hour and a half trying fidgeting with this because I REALLY want them to work. I sold my Klipsch X10s to keep these and the x10s fit were perfect. 

The way I'm wearing them, I did the flip-flop method again. This time, I put on very small tips (the smallest one), rotated the piece clockwise (if you're looking at my right ear) about 45-50 degrees and inserted in a "scooping" motion. When you rotate it, instead of it bending looking like a hook, it's more reminiscent of a shovel. "Dug"/Scooped" it into my ear and pressed the entire nozzle flush to my whole ear and it ain't movin. We'll see how this holds up once I move around and go do stuff though. So far moving my head around though it's alright 

Dec 2, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #6 of 21
I found that the Xears Foamies did the trick for me http://www.xears.com/en/Engineering_Foam_Ohrpassstuecke__47.html. I ordered 5 pairs in the end and was very generously sent 8 pairs. 

Having said that, I find general comfort to be an issue - they are just annoying to put in, wear and take out), so I try other iems. But, it seems that no matter which other iems I use (re0, pfe 012, re262, Xears Xtreme XT2 PRO, whatever), I always come back to the TF10s and love the sound. Problem is that comfort then becomes an issue and I get back in the cycle of trying the others again... 

Good luck 

Dec 2, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #7 of 21
I've been using the same method I worked out for my sf5p headphone. First I flip/flop, I can't seem to get them comfortable as they come from the factory, and as much as I like UE I don't feel the need to advertise for them...

I actually twist them into place. First I hold the headphone in between my thumb and first two fingers right side up (the same orientation they will be in my ear). Then I turn them in a full circle around the headphone around the axis of the ear mold. What I want is a "cinnamon roll" type swirl of cable around the headset. Make sure the extra cable is, well, away from your head. I hold the extra cable in between my ring and pinkie fingers. (At this point pictures would probably help, but I don't have a camera nearby...)

Push the headphone into your ear gently then untwist the swirl, which twists the headphone in your ear. As the swirl unwinds you want to make sure the cable is over your ear. Pushing gently while twisting seems to get that last little bit of depth you need. You should end up with the headphone in proper position and pressed fairly deep in the ear canal. Pulling up on the top of your ear with the other hand while unswirling helps, as does the earlobe tug as a final adjustment.

I've been doing it this way for so long it's automatic now, though it took a bit of practice to get it right. It's really not as difficult as I'm making it sound, but it's the best that I can describe it. 
basshead.gif

Dec 2, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 21
Flip Flop Mod and I actually used the stiff cable to my advantage as I am able to find a perfect spot and I had a better seal with the stock cable than the lunes. I have large ears and believe it or not I find the TF10s to be the perfect size for my ears.

Dec 2, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 21
Stock tips are crap, drive to your nearest best buy and pick up some Sony Hybrids

Quote:
The TF10s... no matter what I do I can't get a good seal. i tried all sizes and tips but I don't know if its the shape of the earpiece or what, it just won't seal. It sounds freaking amazing when I hold it with my fingers to artificially create the seal but if I let go, I don't get much isolation at all. I tried over the ear and straight down (which doesnt work at all). I tried switching the LEFT and RIGHT to get a better seal that way, didn't help. Tried the comply and the smaller tips. The comply tips seal nice but the sound is very muffled. It's too big. If I press in slightly, the sound is completely blocked like I'm wearing earplugs. 

The best tip was the smallest one of the bunch, as it allowed the earpiece to go deeper and settle but keeping that seal is nearly impossible. And I can't imagine what I would do when I'm moving around and stuff. 

Are there any cheap DIY or some adjustments I haven't considered yet? I def can't afford custom IEMs. 

Also, comply foam tips makes my ears itch its so weird. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #12 of 21
Give these a try: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EPEX10A-BLK-Replacement-Earbuds/dp/B001RB24UA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322881732&sr=8-1

These seem to work best for me. They're much softer than the default ones.

The tips that came with the TF10s made my ears ache after a while. I also purchased the monster super tips. They seemed comfortable, but ended up causing a lot of pressure against my ears.

EDIT: Just did the flip flop mod. It feels about the same to me after they're in my ear but feels less intrusive when I'm inserting them into my ears.

Dec 3, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #14 of 21
Sweet it sounds like those hybrids are the shiz. I'll give those a try. So far the flip mod with an angular upward scooping fit seems to be pretty solid. 
It's sucks that you have to reshape it everytime it comes out though... I guess that's the downside to Over-the-ear IEMs.

Dec 3, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #15 of 21
Mine pretty much keeps its shape.

I had seal issues with my left ear and I was using the Sony Hybrids. So they aren't a guarantee. I tried the 'twist while inserting' method and that helped a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back