Triple-fi 10... You're KIDDING me, right..?!
Jan 1, 2012 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Mython

Headphoneus Supremus
Took advantage of Amazon's Boxing Day discount on UE's Triple-fi 10; a UIEM I've seen COUNTLESS enthusiastic posts about, here on Head-fi, over the course of many, many months, so 'FOTM' cannot be used to excuse this rampant enthusiasm...

Well, all I can say is I definitely don't share enthusiasm for the T-F10.

It is utterly incohesive. The bass, mid, and treble drivers integrate very poorly with one another. The treble, in particular, sounds totally detached from the rest of the music. It's 'splashy' & 'tinselly' to my ears "tsst, tsst, tsst" etc. The comply tips slightly take the edge off the treble but, unsurprisingly, are unable to conjure any improved realism.

That poor treble makes music sound unconvincing and downright 'synthetic'.

I've been looking to upgrade my aging Denon ACH-700s, but, in spite of their imperfections, comparing the 700s alongside the T-F10s, the 'synthetic' sound of the T-F10s is startlingly apparent. The 700s sound FAR more fluid and organic in all frequencies, and the (NOT exaggerated) bass kicks the T-F10s into next week (note that I'm not a bass-head).

It's the treble, though, which stands out to me as unacceptably unrealistic.

How on earth these are so enthusiastically discussed on Head-fi bewilders me.

Well, these T-F10s are going straight back to Amazon on Tuesday...

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 31
And before anyone states the obvious, I am, of course, aware that the Denons use a dynamic driver, and the T-F10s use triple Balanced Armatures.

It doesn't excuse the synthetic-sounding treble.

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 31

Quote:
Got about 55 hrs on them at this stage.

BA sound may not be for you. I have to agree with you to some extent that Dynamic drivers are just more natural. I do however like the TF10 sound although I don't consider it better than my FX700 or IE80s. But for the price I paid and the fact that I am getting them custom reshelled, I think they are quite good in themselves just a very different presentation. I have to agree though they don't have the most natural sound, but I also like them because of this. Its a different sound. Not for everyone obviously.

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #6 of 31

Quote:
It is utterly incohesive. The bass, mid, and treble drivers integrate very poorly with one another. The treble, in particular, sounds totally detached from the rest of the music. It's 'splashy' & 'tinselly' to my ears "tsst, tsst, tsst" etc.

Funny, I just posted the exact same observation on another forum just few days ago.

I extensively compared the FX700 and TF10 for almost a month and I came to the conclusion that the JVC is the much more musical and better allrounder. The Triple.Fi have speed and precision, but which bothered me most is that the mids fall off completely. I don't mind them being recessed (as they are with the FX700), but the also perform much poorer than bass and highs. It really breaks the presentation. I didn't find the highs too good either, as they just lack proper timbre.
The strong point is definitely bass, but it's a fake bass like with Ultrasone. It's fun and technically impressive, yet it just does it own thing.

The FX700 sounds round, e.g. complete. Yes, they are strongly V-shaped, but you get an overall great package. The bass is not as fast, but it has a natural decay and gives you more time to enjoy the texture. You really should give these a try.

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #7 of 31
Thanks Lee, I must admit, having typed the above (sorry, it was a bit of a rant, but we've all been there at some time or other, right?), I paused and reflected, and remembered the remarks in the futuresonics MG6Pro review thread, which are not greatly dissimilar to my above sentiments about realism (or lack thereof).

I'm awaiting delivery of a pair of UM Miracles at the moment so I'm really hoping I like the treble much more on the Miracles than I do on these T-F10s.. (I'm not a rich man; the Miracles were a huge stretch for me; the T-F10s were just for curiosity, since drastically reduced by Amazon).

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #8 of 31

Quote:
Thanks Lee, I must admit, having typed the above (sorry, it was a bit of a rant, but we've all been there at some time or other, right?), I paused and reflected, and remembered the remarks in the futuresonics MG6Pro review thread, which are not greatly dissimilar to my above sentiments about realism (or lack thereof).
I'm awaiting delivery of a pair of UM Miracles at the moment so I'm really hoping I like the treble much more on the Miracles than I do on these T-F10s.. (I'm not a rich man; the Miracles were a huge stretch for me; the T-F10s were just for curiosity, since drastically reduced by Amazon).

Let us know how the Miracles do with coherency--maybe you could write a little review after you get a chance to listen and see what you think.

By the way, do you remember what BAs the Miracle uses?

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #9 of 31
The FX700s mids aren't recessed though. The mids are very neutral which gives the impression of recessed mids as it is not emphasized like the treble and bass are. Still very detailed but of course a mid-centric source brings the mids into balance with the rest of the frequencies.

Quote:

Funny, I just posted the exact same observation on another forum just few days ago.

I extensively compared the FX700 and TF10 for almost a month and I came to the conclusion that the JVC is the much more musical and better allrounder. The Triple.Fi have speed and precision, but which bothered me most is that the mids fall off completely. I don't mind them being recessed (as they are with the FX700), but the also perform much poorer than bass and highs. It really breaks the presentation. I didn't find the highs too good either, as they just lack proper timbre.
The strong point is definitely bass, but it's a fake bass like with Ultrasone. It's fun and technically impressive, yet it just does it own thing.

The FX700 sounds round, e.g. complete. Yes, they are strongly V-shaped, but you get an overall great package. The bass is not as fast, but it has a natural decay and gives you more time to enjoy the texture. You really should give these a try.

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #10 of 31
I have to disagree. I haven't listened to my tf-10s for a while due to a couple of new purchases. But putting them in for a quick listen, I don't find this lack of integration. The worst thing I could say about them is that the recessed middle frequencies are poor for some rock recordings. But they've got great detail and if you like the v-shaped sound signature, these a great iems.

Perhaps it's a matter of taste or fit.

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #11 of 31
Top tier sound that isn't for you, similar experience here with the Shure 530/535, hated both but many people love them. 

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #12 of 31

Quote:
Took advantage of Amazon's Boxing Day discount on UE's Triple-fi 10; a UIEM I've seen COUNTLESS enthusiastic posts about, here on Head-fi, over the course of many, many months, so 'FOTM' cannot be used to excuse this rampant enthusiasm...
Well, all I can say is I definitely don't share enthusiasm for the T-F10.
It is utterly incohesive. The bass, mid, and treble drivers integrate very poorly with one another. The treble, in particular, sounds totally detached from the rest of the music. It's 'splashy' & 'tinselly' to my ears "tsst, tsst, tsst" etc. The comply tips slightly take the edge off the treble but, unsurprisingly, are unable to conjure any improved realism.
That poor treble makes music sound unconvincing and downright 'synthetic'.
I've been looking to upgrade my aging Denon ACH-700s, but, in spite of their imperfections, comparing the 700s alongside the T-F10s, the 'synthetic' sound of the T-F10s is startlingly apparent. The 700s sound FAR more fluid and organic in all frequencies, and the (NOT exaggerated) bass kicks the T-F10s into next week (note that I'm not a bass-head).
It's the treble, though, which stands out to me as unacceptably unrealistic.
How on earth these are so enthusiastically discussed on Head-fi bewilders me.
Well, these T-F10s are going straight back to Amazon on Tuesday...

OK, I'm going to go out and say a few things.  First, it may be that you just aren't getting a good fit from the TF10s (common problem).  The tinselly and tsst tsst tsst sound somewhat describe sibilance which is common to a bad seal (or imperfect one) or bad fit in general.  This also leads to bad bass, which I have a feeling you're running into as well. 

On another note, the deep, V-shaped signature may also not be for you, but I think you're just not getting a seal.

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #14 of 31

Quote:
The best sounding headphones are the ones YOU like. Boy did I learn that lesson over the years with any audio gear. I also think using a players EQ can help quite a bit.

Yes, this also plays a role, but I think a bad seal/fit is what he's going through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back